Being an aspiring writer/ artist while having a main job.

Having a Patreon and/or Main Job?

• Yes to both Patreon and Main Job

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Yes to Patreon, No to Main Job

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No to both Patreon and Main Job

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No to Patreon, Yes to Main Job

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So I am still a halfass writer who has not put up his works due to fear of rejections, but thanks to Covid19 I finally lack the excuses to NOT try and write out my works. The odds of me posting anything in SH is still low, but I will probably post something after I write out the first 10 chapters.

So the reason I post this is to mainly ask the aspiring writers and artists in SH, after seeing Shirlatoon, Cian-yo (not in SH lol) and others having patreon accounts, on whether they have a main source of income other than from Patreon? For those who do not have patreon but still post your works, do you or do you not do the works to pass time, hone on your hobbies or other reasons?

Note: I define a main source as in full-time jobs, may include self employed traders/ tutors or anything with a stable enough income than part times.

Last edited:

Jemini

It's vanishingly rare for any author by any publishing route to make it big enough to support themselves on their writing alone. Almost all of us are working or supporting ourselves in some other way in addition to writing.

Also, a webnovel site like this is a pretty low bar and it's expected that you're going to be basically using your SH readers as your test readers / critique group. Just be ready to edit as you are going along if you actually want to progress as an author. If you're not willing to edit, you're not really serious about your writing.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It's vanishingly rare for any author by any publishing route to make it big enough to support themselves on their writing alone. Almost all of us are working or supporting ourselves in some other way in addition to writing.

Also, a webnovel site like this is a pretty low bar and it's expected that you're going to be basically using your SH readers as your test readers / critique group. Just be ready to edit as you are going along if you actually want to progress as an author. If you're not willing to edit, you're not really serious about your writing.
So far I have received a no-to-both-patreon&mainjob, so I am expecting the person to be a student who is just writes as a hobby. As for myself, I just write for the sake of boredom and found out that it is just as painful as working to write out a proper diagnostic report on the structural integrity and functionality of my design, so yes, I am not creating a patreon to not waste money as I will not be commited in writing anyway.

Last edited:

Clo

I have a full time job that frequently (especially since work-from-home) eats more than 40 hours per week. My novel is a hobby, and that "eats" in my time that I would have spent playing videogames otherwise.
It is probably a much better use of that time.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I think working with particular game developing team as a writer can be practical (unless you have some good quality and effectively profitable)

Jemini

I think working with particular game developing team as a writer can be practical (unless you have some good quality and effectively profitable)
That would be an example of trying to make it big. You gotta focus on walking before running though, just write something that can get the attention of readers and worry about major game-rights deals after you're popular.

Nerodith

Both full job and Patreon for me (well, actually it's a part-time job + student's obligations).
I certainly wouldn't be able to live off my Patreon alone, but it is definitely helpful. At this point, I even earn more with my Patreon than my part-time job (yeah, students aren't paid a lot...)

That being said, I've seen full-time authors making a living on Patreon. But:
  1. They are extremely prolific. They often write several stories at the same time and release one (if not several) chapter a day.
  2. It rarely lasts over time. Some will go to the professional route, while others simply lose their popularity, their inspiration or their productivity, and thus also lose their source of income.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Generally speaking, you're better off having a main job and writing as a hobby with a patreon to get some extra income.

If your patreon income becomes big enough, you can give up on the main job and focus entirely on writing, but to do that you first need a strong patreon... So... Better start as a hobby and transition to full-time writing if you see it has a real possibility of giving you enough cash to take care of yourself.

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Patreon is not a stable way of income - or rather. I would say that writing is not a stable income unless you have some type of contract with a publisher/website. But, well, it's fine to try. Everyone has 24 hours a day to do whatever they like - of course, we all have responsibilities and things to take care of. I personally try to focus almost all my free time to writing, because one day I hope to make a living from it. Although even if I do make it I am well aware it won't last long. But hey, it's fine to dream.

Unless you get really lucky and are the right amount of good writer, you probably won't make enough to sustain yourself for a long period of time just from patreon. Of course, there are people like Shirtaloon, or Pirateaba, whose patreon - last I checked - was over $10k a month for both of them. But patrons come and go, so it's not surprising to see the number fluctuate. In the end, I feel like we have to keep expectations low.

Seen some authors make a living from Kindle Unlimited. So maybe that is an option for some people? And artists... Well, in my opinion, artists have a much more stable income. Since they rely on commissions vs subscriptions. Commissions are something for the person that requests, vs a writer's book being entertainment that is paid for. They are fundamentally different.

But well, both writers and artists alike can always dive into the erotic world and make a pretty $ there. Not everyone makes it in their desired industry, but hard work does pay off, and even if it doesn't pay off. You worked hard, so you can pat yourself on the back for your accomplishments and the useful skill you gained. That's personally how I see it though.

Kldran

I'm in the no patreon, no main job, no income category. The virus is interfering with plans for solving the no income problem. On the plus side, I've got enough cash to last me a year or two. My main consolation is knowing other people are in worse shape, but that mostly just makes me worry about the future of my country. 😰 All my attempts to predict the future just tell me that bad things are coming and it's gonna get worse before it gets better... which is vague and largely useless for actually making plans beyond trying to ride out the storm and hoping for the best.

From what I've read, the most reliable way to make money as a writer, is to write smut for women and sell it on amazon. Thats... not something I can do. I hear there's lots of people making money doing it though! (I have no idea how reliable my sources are, and haven't really done any research)

Kuropon

I have a full time job, put up a Patreon like two months ago. It's a bit better for me as I come from a poorer country. So a small amount of income is quite big. After two months I have been debating of asking for less hours at my work place now as the amount that I earn is close to half what I get at my day job. But I'd still like to at least have it as a security measure. I could be earning a lot one month then nothing the next one... so you'll have to weight your options. I only started the Patreon after my work was already popular and have over 100k words out.

So if I were you, I'd start writing and pick up a stable following. Then write at least 10 forward chapters of your story and setup tiers for your patreon. Be sure to use the 'pay up front'option otherwise they will have access to your chapters and will only be charged on the first of the month. So they could evade paying you the first one if they decide that its not worth it. I did that by mnistake and some patrons dipped after enjoying a twenty day free ride lol.

Then you can judge how well you are doing. Tiers and forward chapters are the most important thing, don't expect anything if you just make a patreon withouth any incentive for the readers to donate to it.

Last edited:

Mejiro

Those that make a full-time living from Patreon are very rare - it's possible, but there's not many that manage to be good enough and prolific enough to do it. You can help by throwing your books onto Kindle etc. as well, for another income stream, but the overwhelming majority of people will have writing as a side-gig at most, that they make some level of money from (I'm actually making a loss, as I've paid more for art commissions than I've earnt!) But it's basically a fun hobby for me, that I might be able to make money from, so I don't really mind.