Best release time?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I usually post a new chapter of my series every Monday-Friday at 2:00 PM EST. It's seen by around a hundred people but I was wondering if there was a better time of day to release those chapters. I have put them out earlier and later before which had resulted in different amounts of people seeing it. However, they changes in views seem random. Does anyone have an idea about when a better time or day to release would be?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I usually post a new chapter of my series every Monday-Friday at 2:00 PM EST. It's seen by around a hundred people but I was wondering if there was a better time of day to release those chapters.
It's seen by around a hundred people
a hundred people
Yeah you're DEFINITELY posting at the best time possible, no need to change anything

Though I would recommend experimenting with mass releases, like releasing it at night, or in the afternoon

Paul_Tromba

Yeah you're DEFINITELY posting at the best time possible, no need to change anything

Though I would recommend experimenting with mass releases, like releasing it at night, or in the afternoon
Thanks! I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I heard someone else received 500 views at once so I wasn't sure.

Jemini

Really, the best time to release is when there's no-one else posting. However, if people discover such a time, all of a sudden it starts filling up with people posting at that time. In other words, those "best times" disappear very quickly after they are discovered.

Fortunately, the algorythm to display your series over on Novelupdates has been updated to always give you at least 10 minutes up on their site, so instead a good strategy might be to post when there are a lot of people over on Novelupdates to see your series during those 10 minutes. For this, the suggestion of posting at various times because there are people all over the world would be a rather good solution.

Finally, if you happen to have a lot of people who have put your series on their "reading" list, then it becomes a case where you should post your series as early after midnight UTC as possible. This maximizes the time you have to be noticed by your readers and will raise your view count, thus increasing your chances of hitting high on the "trending" list. Only use this last strategy if your readership is enough to get you on the first page of trending or even the top 9. If your readership is enough to hit the top 9 with this strategy, then it is definitely the most worth-while strategy because being on the main sites front page on the trending list will get you more new readers than any other strategy.

EDIT: (I have actually noticed that some of the biggest authors on this site will actually deliberately post at around 22:00 UTC, which is the time that will almost evenly distribute your viewer count across 2 separate days (balancing the huge rush in the first 2 hours against the gradual trickling-in over the hours afterwards,) thus lowering your ranking on the "trending" list. This probably indicates they are very good sports who do not want to hog the spot light away from the up-and-coming authors. In other words, they are already successful so they are deliberately avoiding the trending list.)

Last edited:

Fromage

Peerless member
Just post a new chapter everyday. Two if you can (morning and evening)
Most author with 3k++ views/day did that

Paul_Tromba

Really, the best time to release is when there's no-one else posting. However, if people discover such a time, all of a sudden it starts filling up with people posting at that time. In other words, those "best times" disappear very quickly after they are discovered.

Fortunately, the algorythm to display your series over on Novelupdates has been updated to always give you at least 10 minutes up on their site, so instead a good strategy might be to post when there are a lot of people over on Novelupdates to see your series during those 10 minutes. For this, the suggestion of posting at various times because there are people all over the world would be a rather good solution.

Finally, if you happen to have a lot of people who have put your series on their "reading" list, then it becomes a case where you should post your series as early after midnight UTC as possible. This maximizes the time you have to be noticed by your readers and will raise your view count, thus increasing your chances of hitting high on the "trending" list. Only use this last strategy if your readership is enough to get you on the first page of trending or even the top 9. If your readership is enough to hit the top 9 with this strategy, then it is definitely the most worth-while strategy because being on the main sites front page on the trending list will get you more new readers than any other strategy

EDIT: (I have actually noticed that some of the biggest authors on this site will actually deliberately post at around 22:00 UTC, which is the time that will almost evenly distribute your viewer count across 2 separate days, thus lowering your ranking on the "trending" list. This probably indicates they are very good sports who do not want to hog the spot light away from the up-and-coming authors. In other words, they are already successful so they are deliberately avoiding the trending list.)
Good to know. I have 77 readers so I don't think it will hit trending if I did that. I have hit trending once before and stayed up there for a good two days. I was very happy about it and would love for it to happen again. Although, I have no intention of messing with the system in order to achieve it.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Something I'm wondering is benefits and disadvantages of release frequency. I have a lot of chapters ready to upload, but I'm not sure if it is more beneficial to trickle them in, or drop the whole lot at once.

Whatever the case, how often in one day or week should I release chapters? Will I be able to have as positive of an effect if I am gone for weeks or months, than suddenly post a bunch? Do new authors get an advantage?

D

Deleted member 45782

Interesting about 22:00. Will keep that in mind somewhere.