Best ways to tag stories to maximize traffic?

SnowLabrador

Hello. I hope everyone here is doing well; this is my first time posting on the Scribble Hub forums.

I was wondering what the best tags are in order to increase traffic to my story, Animal Antics. I will link it here if people want me to. This seems like a wonderful community, and I'm glad I found it.

SailusGebel

Welcome to SH.

SnowLabrador

Welcome to SH.
Thank you very much. I'm loving it here. And I'll check the tutorial out as well.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Welcome to SH.
And accompanying that.

J_Chemist

Oh I have an idea of what you should add. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Gender bender, girls love, and boys love all come with an guaranteed audience.

Becareful with catering using tags too much though. GB, GL, BL, have a sizeable crossover of readers. While you have a guaranteed audience, and while it is one of the biggest niches on the site, it can be hard to draw additional readers from outside those genres.

prognastat

Gender bender, girls love, and boys love all come with an guaranteed audience.

Becareful with catering using tags too much though. GB, GL, BL, have a sizeable crossover of readers. While you have a guaranteed audience, and while it is one of the biggest niches on the site, it can be hard to draw additional readers from outside those genres.
Yeah they tend to get large growth up front, but at the sacrifice of having a harder cap. Unlike many other tags though they are very appealing to the audience they appeal to they are a complete turn-off for anyone that isn't into it. It's easier to get someone that prefers fantasy to try out a popular sci-fi novel than it is to get someone who isn't already into GB/GL/BL to read a novel with those elements.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
Hmmm should I waste hours getting statistics on which tags are most common? Maybe…
Anyways, girl’s love, gender bender, and smut are generally very popular. (And isekai obviously)

Now, if you mean literal tags and not genres, add as many as you can while still having them be relevant. More tags means more appearances in searches which means more possible views.

prognastat

Harem is similar to GL/GB/BL. It has it's avid fans, but also people who refuse to read almost anything if it has a harem in it. I would say it's not quite as strong an effect as GL/GB/BL though so it doesn't quite get you the audience as fast as those do, but the amount of people that refuse to read Harem is also lower than those.

I myself haven't done a deep dive to see what tags actually are most effective beyond what I see rising up the charts fastest while checking my own stories. What I did myself is just go to the entire list of tags and sort it descending from most used tags then just add the tags that apply to my story starting from the top. There are probably better strategies for getting views if you spent more effort, but at least it gets you a decent selection. After all if tags are being used a lot chances are they are popular tags in general.

Of course if you start from the most popular it means your novel would end up very far back on the charts in the beginning which might lead to a slower start so my suspicion is that the best strategy is to get a good mix of the most popular tags that work with your story that really describe your story well and then actually sort it the other way around with the least used tags and find ones that match your story where you can rank on the first page for the tag and add those. I haven't actually tested its efficacy though.

This is of course avoiding the dark side of gaming the system like some people do by adding tags that aren't actually related to their novel simply to get attention to their novel.