Biggest pet peeve as an author

Jet

I've never seen such things in any of the classics I read. No idea why people do that. Maybe they got corrupted by the poor writing of cheap asian web novels...

melchi

What is a custom title?
Shouldn't the title be as a reader? If you are the author fufufu wouldn't appear unless you wrote it. It would be weird if your characters started writing themselves.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Shouldn't the title be as a reader? If you are the author fufufu wouldn't appear unless you wrote it. It would be weird if your characters started writing themselves.
Nah, I think sometimes the author needs to envision how their characters act and paint them out in words, like introducing your imaginary friends to your audience.

But please no sfx, I hate that as a reader, more so in japanese works and even more in R18. If I want to have sfx, I can go watch hentai or something.

Which is why living in Japan, I microcringe everytime someone makes a "hai~" sound for acknowledgement, especially when they are 60 yo old geezers

BlackKnightX

I exclaim my sincerest, most genuine confirmation to the rhetoric that you placed-most grammatically correct-onto this digital thread, and then truly promptly commit to the repetition of said confirmation. I gush like the saliva of a maggot with praise on verdant, wildflower prose. Alas, unfortunately, it pains to me to admit that Homo sapiens rarely succeed in their garden of writing, as you put it so succinctly.
I tried to write something similar in the last comment, but it's beyond me~ :blob_sweat:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I don't like authors that write MCs that they say are "rational" "calculating" "practical" "coldblooded" but then have the mc just be an asshole, and the mc is not clever, nor rational.

At the end of the day it's just the author trying to make excuses for the mc being a cruel piece of shit.
Yes. Exactly. I find that so irritating!
I will admit that I haven't encountered many of them. Most of them are what they say on the label. But when I have... ugh!

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter
Biggest pet peeve as an author (yes, as an AUTHOR) are 1 star ratings without any elaborations whatsoever🥲

DubstheDuke

The one thing that really annoys me is when I'm not sure who is talking during dialogue. Most of the time it should be obvious, either based on the context of what it being said, or because it's explicitly stated who is speaking, but once in a while I notice scenes where someone is talking and honestly it could be anyone in the room saying it.

tatsuya

Biggest pet peeve as an author (yes, as an AUTHOR) are 1 star ratings without any elaborations whatsoever🥲
Yeah... but it's not as bad as getting a half star rating with no elaboration.
hahahaha yeah i seen worsy 1 star review just because hes bored and he write ut in review section with full of confidence and rightiousness
I don't like authors that write MCs that they say are "rational" "calculating" "practical" "coldblooded" but then have the mc just be an asshole, and the mc is not clever, nor rational.

At the end of the day it's just the author trying to make excuses for the mc being a cruel piece of shit.
hahahah yeah

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Anytime a characters entire personality revolves around being in love with another character. As a character writer, anytime I see that I just think of all the missed potential.

Tentacult1664

While I'm not personally an author, if you don't mind my input, I'm not a big fan of using words from other languages like Japanese when the story is in English. An example of this is the person above me who used Keikaku. I think it's okay if they like to do it. However, I find it cringe-worthy. I'm okay with honorifics like san and kun, but I still prefer the English versions like Mr. for san and maybe a nickname in place of kun.
Literally the reason I dropped Second Coming of Gluttony. Hoshino Urara's dialogue (which is in romanized japanese) gives me an itch in the roof of my mouth that can only be scratched by a .45 ACP. -San is fine but -kun and -chan also makes me want to put a bullet in my head.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I was going to say my kid since he doesn't let me write, but then I wondered what AI thought a pet peeve was, and . . .

TheMonotonePuppet

Anytime a characters entire personality revolves around being in love with another character. As a character writer, anytime I see that I just think of all the missed potential.
Same. I actually am planning a character that plays off that trope (for a story that isn't out yet), where she starts with a fully fleshed out personality, but due to the consequences of using her ability, she quickly becomes the 1-dimensional archetype of a yandere while the main character tries to find a cure for her.

TheMonotonePuppet

and systems
Noooo... not systems as a pet peeve! They can be used well!:blob_teary:
And litRPG is great! What are you talking about? Obviously there are the poorly made ones, but that's the same with every genre. *author weeping because they are a litRPG author and feel targeted* :blob_teary: :blob_teary: :blob_teary:

Last edited: