Blocking viewers from certain countries

Skyfall

We can see the Geographical Distribution of our readers from the Statistics tab, but can we block viewers from certain countries like videos in Youtube? What if I want to block China and Russia from reading my story and pirating it?

Psycholor

Writing Trash
The people who would pirate the story (especially from China) are more likely than not to use a VPN, which would defeat the whole purpose of this.

If you don't want a story pirated 100%, your only option is to not upload and share it.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
We can see the Geographical Distribution of our readers from the Statistics tab, but can we block viewers from certain countries like videos in Youtube? What if I want to block China and Russia from reading my story and pirating it?
First of all, you're going to lose a reader base.

Second, there is no way you're going to completely get your novel not pirated on the World Wide Web. People will use things like VPNs to get past your blocks. Especially if you live in china where you may not have access to some Internet areas. Well, I did check to confirm, and a quick application helped me know that you can still access Scribble Hub from mainland China.

Anyhow, I think that this would rather be a demerit. It's another form of Webnovel, you could even say. Blocking all the readers from one country because you're paranoid? Nah.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Nah bro, ain't happening like most of the user says from above. If you did that, it's like your in a lose-lose situation.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Even if you had Bezos money there isn’t anything you could do. Russia and China take cease and desist notes from other countries and literally throw them in the trash.

Omnifarious

Custom title
You would need to block a lot more than just Russia and China.

IIRC Europe has overtaken Russia and china since 2020(?) Something about funny copyright laws and torrenting in 2019
Overall, global piracy of most digital entertainment has been on a decline, due to online distribution platforms.

But book piracy continues to rise in the world and it is especially rampant in the Netherlands for some reason

Personally, I have no use of this feature, coz even if I block no countries, the quality of my work would have already prevented all forms of piracy.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Lol, that would require some selective ip ban bullshit. And of course, can be circumvented with VPN, which would require banning people with VPN from accessing the site.

In other words, it will never pass.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Pretty Racist, ain’t it

Like damn, but dude, no one from there would want to pirate you shizz, unless your “famous”. Like me, so far I’ve found one of my books pirated on a few sites (3)

Indeed, just consider it as a compliment if your book gets pirated, or better, gets translated
Free workers

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Just add an author's note for the translators and say that you want some kind of pipeline to speak with your foreign readers. That way you can reap whatever benefits you "lost" from having your stuff pirated, and you get a better community impression.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Just mentioned Taiwan and your story won't be able to reach them unless they want their social point to drop until they became a slave to the CCP.

SuperHeiyan

Even if you had Bezos money there isn’t anything you could do. Russia and China take cease and desist notes from other countries and literally throw them in the trash.
Most Russian sites that ignore anti-pirated law aren't geographically in Russia.
Or care about stories on English, for that matter.
The ones that are in Russia tend to actually remove reported story, but it it temporaly measure at best. For the most part, other users will repost the story eventually.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Most Russian sites that ignore anti-pirated law aren't geographically in Russia.
Or care about stories on English, for that matter.
The ones that are in Russia tend to actually remove reported story, but it it temporaly measure at best. For the most part, other users will repost the story eventually.
I was mainly referring to the ongoing scandal of private World of Warcraft servers, the vast majority are hosted in Russia. Despite multiple cease and desists from Acti-Bliz nothing has been done about the issue.