Blunt Feedback Thread [Closed]

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I closed my horrible reviews thread because it was mostly for fun and didn't mean much. I'm currently trying to do a lot of writing, but I feel that doing some reading in between will also help me continue forward. I'm going to come out of the "Anonymous" persona a bit and state my preferred genres and tropes which are: Philosophy, emotional characters (doesn't have to be MC) and some comedy.

I actually don't care for Smut all that much unless it's done really well.

I will read any genre and give feedback. Thread will close when I have too many requests to fulfill and re-open when I've caught up and have time.

The Preferred Genres are so you don't expect me to 'love' your story if it's not the genre I like. I will be just as rude as the other guy, but honest.

Anyway, if you'd like me to give some feedback I'm going to be harsh about it as I think @SailusGebel is way more useful to writers trying to improve their craft than a lot of other feedback threads (no offense to others who have them). I'll read the story until I get bored of it before the feedback.

To apply for feedback please post a link to your story. If you don't mention PM I will post it in thread.
I will not post a review/rating on your story because I don't believe in the rating system (actually I can just give you whatever rating you want, but I prefer not to add to my reading list right now).

As per my usual fashion, I'm doing this scattershot style. I'm giving you 3 of my stories, and like a rougelike dungeon, you get to choose which door to proceed and have yourself horribly mutilated.

First door has philosophy, emotional characters, and some semblance of comedy. Caveat is that 95% of the characters are furries. Chapters also hit an average word count of 7k, and the longest chapter lasts around 18k. If you wish to accept the monkey paw, link's down below.

Second door has philosophy and more comedy, though it's comedy tuned to my taste, so it might horribly backfire. Despite the cover, there's actually only a 40% presence of furries in this. Also, it's smut, but I like to think it's well-written. It's also experimental in which I use various story structures per chapter to see what works and vice versa. Average length'd. Enter if ye dare.

Last door has no philosophy nor comedy, but it does have some(?) emotional characters. It's a simple Fallout fanfic that features an original setting and characters, only borrowing the themes of the IP in the barest sense of """fanfic""". BUT, there's a guaranteed 0% presence of furries and a whole lot of paragraphs dedicated to atmosphere/world-building and dialogue. Average length'd. This is the vanilla option, as most people choose this whenever I give them these options.

Pick your poison, or pick all three if you prefer.

I'll await the fresh torn asshole you'll provide me.

jrise98

Here is my story that I'm trying to get out rather aggressively (and probably annoyingly as well) for reviews. It is an Action Adventure Fantasy type of story. Not much romance at all. No smut. As I said in the thread I started yesterday, I encourage brutality, it's not great at the moment and I want to improve my creation through fire and brimstone..

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
First door has philosophy, emotional characters, and some semblance of comedy. Caveat is that 95% of the characters are furries. Chapters also hit an average word count of 7k, and the longest chapter lasts around 18k. If you wish to accept the monkey paw, link's down below.

Again, this is my subjective opinion. I'm planning to read a bit of all three. I read up to Chapter 4 before I gave up due to being bored. Admittedly I didn't reach the philosophy part of your story.

What I like:

1. Good prose, even and consistent tone, grammar is spot on and story is easy to read and follow.
2. Description is near (or already at) professional quality. I can't give you any tips to improve the technicality or structure paragraphs.
3. Scenes are well constructed and give a good picture of what is happening without explicitly telling. The audience is given the chance to imply actions on the characters.

What I don't like:

I have to preface this by saying that this is personal preference and doesn't reflect your writing ability or story.

1. I don't give a fuck about Shiro. I'm sorry but I can't relate to him.
2. The beginning is rather slow paced, and it doesn't give a clear goal or tell me where the story is going to go. Chapter 1 starts by introducing a bunch of animals. New characters, gives some distinct description such as wounds on the bear, a back drop where the bear was being beaten and then it keeps going to where I forgot about what happened next.

The problem is, those people who like furry characters and can relate to Shiro are your target audience. I am not.
I apologize when I said I like emotional characters, what I meant was I like Angry Characters that lose their shit rather than sad characters. You've helped me narrow down the weakness of my first statement and I will have to go back and change it.

I do think that if you wanted to be a professional author and got copy writer to proof read your items, you'll be good enough to publish professionally, the problem is your content and not your writing... unless you can tap into Furcon to get readers.

Still, you're an impressive writer. I'm going to check out the other stories.

BenJepheneT

I appreciate that you have my shit a shot. Most didn't even last past Chapter 2, so you have my gratitude there. For starters, I'll just ask for some elaborations.

1. I don't give a fuck about Shiro. I'm sorry but I can't relate to him.
Is this an issue of dialogue or personality, or is it just that you didn't find his dilemma to be empathetic enough?

I do think that if you wanted to be a professional author and got copy writer to proof read your items, you'll be good enough to publish professionally, the problem is your content and not your writing... unless you can tap into Furcon to get readers.
No no, that's exactly what I want to seek feedback on. I'm competant enough on the technical side of things for the platform I'm on. What I need help is how I can better present my content. I want to show a theme of urban outcasts, and my best idea is to show that through trudging, meandering (but meaningful) loneliness.

I'm going to check out the other stories.
I think you're gonna have some fun with The Problem Store, if our tastes do align.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Second door has philosophy and more comedy, though it's comedy tuned to my taste, so it might horribly backfire. Despite the cover, there's actually only a 40% presence of furries in this. Also, it's smut, but I like to think it's well-written. It's also experimental in which I use various story structures per chapter to see what works and vice versa. Average length'd. Enter if ye dare.

Like your last story, diction and everything is well done.
I don't really identify or like the characters. Guy seems boring and there isn't much distinct about Sin.

Nice metaphor with Guy being Swallowed by Sin.

The main issue I take with this is that in the beginning the pacing is very slow. I get you want to build a background. Sure you have smut going on but I think you can improve your smut writing. here's an Except from 2.2
Sin jolted from that sudden insertion, and that shock translated into her pussy as her folds tensed and gripped onto my cock for dear life. My dick damn near slipped out from the pressure. I punched my cock down again, digging back into my rightful place in her pussy. The deeper I went, the harder her vagina tightened. Her cum was a double-edged sword; it served as an easy entrance as well as a dangerous lubricant for each time her cunt tried to push me out.

It was perfect; it was basically my green light to go all the way.

Locking my elbows, I began to slam my crotch down hard against her ass. I could see ripples bouncing across it with each thrust I made. My dick was nowhere to be seen. From where I was looking, her ass blocked the entire view of my lower half. Its curve was big enough to shield my girth as it came back out.

Personally when I write/read smut, I try to focus on using simple sentences with a few fun words thrown here and there. Some purple prose for the fun but leaving a bit more for the reader to imagine. Generally speaking, sex is a very personal experience and so putting in a lot of descriptors sometimes turn others off. There are some who will like the way you write it, but it's kind of bland for me.
1. Is this an issue of dialogue or personality, or is it just that you didn't find his dilemma to be empathetic enough?

2. No no, that's exactly what I want to seek feedback on. I'm competant enough on the technical side of things for the platform I'm on. What I need help is how I can better present my content. I want to show a theme of urban outcasts, and my best idea is to show that through trudging, meandering (but meaningful) loneliness.

3. I think you're gonna have some fun with The Problem Store, if our tastes do align.
1. It's more an issue on his utter lack of charisma. He doesn't have much stage presence and the story doesn't really show much of his other sides at the beginning. He's more of a reactor without much happening. Some people like the soft spoken MC like that but for me it feels like I've read the "Isekai before" even though this isn't an isekai.

Also his dilemma is over done, after the first scene and I believe lashings, the idea of being looked down upon because of status is so generic that I get bored from it. Rather than making an entire scene I'm less interested in Shiro's emotional turmoil of working against the status and more interested in how he can get even. A sulking or sad protagonist just makes me turn off unless the protagonist keeps pushing forward and arguing or plots revenge.

2. I probably wouldn't be the person who relates to that because I don't relate to urban outcasts. I prefer kingdom builders and those who learn to take advantage of society rather than those cast out by it.

3. Haha... to be honest I'd prefer the human female x giant male furry pairing over what you wrote.

As for The Problem Store:
I got bored of it at Chapter 2.3.5
Reason being that I'm not into slice of life. -_-

I'll check out the Kabal sometime this week, I'm going to try and give canine instinct another shot and it may take all week. I'm going to check out the other guys story first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57675

The demon came cranking into Awiosfn's room from the portal Awiosfn had drawn.

"So Master Awiosfn, how can I do your service?"

Awiosfn stared at the sloppy drawing his younger brother had drawn He thought it was a goldfish his younger brother wanted him to draw but make it better, so he can do a show and tell at his class tomorrow. He didn't know it was instructions for a demon summoning ritual.

"Well, Master Awiosfn?" The jaw clacked, the skull-headed demon asked, one hand held a scythe and another a circlet of rose thorns.

Well, shit. I'm in a load of shit trouble....How am I going to tell ma now?

"And that is the end of the story folks. Come back the following day to hear more!" Awiosfn waved his feathered hat around awaiting for coins to fall into his hat. The crowd groaned and dispersed save for one lone boy.

"No fair! That's barely just a paragraph!" A young boy shouted.

"Well come back the next day then," Awisofn winked, "A writer's gotta eat. I can't finish the story all in one day now, can I?"

"Aww," the boy pouted.

"Or three more coins, and I'll continue."

The boy grumbled, searching his pockets. His greasy grin spread across his face as he held up three coins.

With a swoop of the hat, he plucked three coins from the youn glad's hand. "A deal's a deal," Awiosfn grinned from ear to ear.

A deal's a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Here is my story that I'm trying to get out rather aggressively (and probably annoyingly as well) for reviews. It is an Action Adventure Fantasy type of story. Not much romance at all. No smut. As I said in the thread I started yesterday, I encourage brutality, it's not great at the moment and I want to improve my creation through fire and brimstone..

So I got up to chapter 2 before I just couldn't read anymore. Again, this feedback is based on my personal preferences:

What I Liked:
You had proper spelling on 99% of your words and not many typos.

What I did not like:
1. You have lots and lots of narration, and it's not the fun kind of narration. Long blocky paragraphs, walls of text that look like the excerpt below. I'm going to cross out every word I think is unnecessary. Excerpt is from Chapter 2: Zavier (Version 1.1) Part 3

Zavier was an average height with a bit of a wide baby face. He had no real facial hair yet and kept his auburn hair short but messy. His nose was small and gently sloping and while he was not blessed with a particularly chiseled jaw or angular facial structure he had a near perfect set of straightened white teeth. He had always been told he had a beautiful smile growing up. This was sometimes a compliment in absence of another obvious one but it was true nonetheless. He stared intently and intensely into his wide green eyes, giving himself an awkward look he only reserved for when he was alone with a mirror. In a split second, a realization came over him and he gave his reflection a wide smile. He had not showered at all last night when he had come home. The mystery of his gross feeling was now solved. It was likely because he was rushing to fall asleep given how the evening had gone and his own exhaustion. Zavier did not have any other insights as to how he had forgotten to shower as his memory of his cognitive process after he drove off from May was murky at best. A very simplistic but pleasant feeling washed over him as he picked out a towel and started up the shower. At least one issue solves itself today.

All I can say is... what is all that? What is it? Why did you write all that for? Why did you need an entire block paragraph of 232 words to talk about how he looks to such a specific degree only to shift change to him having a mystery of not showering? This isn't the only paragraph like this.

Not only that, but you spend paragraphs describing Yafu doing something that could be explained in a few sentences. It's like a waste of time to read it... and I can't give feedback on any plot because I'm stuck reading these long wordy paragraphs that drag the scene on much much longer than it has to be.

First of all, you just introduced Yafu in the opening chapter. Unless it's someone who has an obsessive attraction to some guy with a small gently sloping nose (while most of the population might like it they aren't obsessed with noses), you don't have to go into that much detail unless the sloping nose is going to be a big plot point later on... if it is then I apologize for criticizing it.

Anyway, there's a lot of improvement needed on prose, diction, dialogue (which is generic and sparse) and tone. 1st person narration needs you to pretend to be the character telling the story, 3rd person narration requires a tone in order to set the mood. When your sentences are like the above, you're honestly better off writing in first person and simply calling the narrator an overly verbose character.

Again, this is just my honest thoughts. Improvement takes time, I'm pretty sure my first stories were probably worse than what you're writing.

BenJepheneT

Like your last story, diction and everything is well done.
I don't really identify or like the characters. Guy seems boring and there isn't much distinct about Sin.

Nice metaphor with Guy being Swallowed by Sin.

The main issue I take with this is that in the beginning the pacing is very slow. I get you want to build a background. Sure you have smut going on but I think you can improve your smut writing. here's an Except from 2.2

Personally when I write/read smut, I try to focus on using simple sentences with a few fun words thrown here and there. Some purple prose for the fun but leaving a bit more for the reader to imagine. Generally speaking, sex is a very personal experience and so putting in a lot of descriptors sometimes turn others off. There are some who will like the way you write it, but it's kind of bland for me.
I'm still fresh into the smut game, so this is news to me. The way I wanted to approach this is by lulling the audience into getting invested in the slice-of-life aspect THROUGH smut, and if they don't like it, at least there's the smut, accessible by the clear-cut (R18) signs I put next to 'em. I'll see to it that I approach the smut in a different way. Ironically enough, the way you write smut is the exact way I write action, so I guess that's a headstart I have.

1. It's more an issue on his utter lack of charisma. He doesn't have much stage presence and the story doesn't really show much of his other sides at the beginning. He's more of a reactor without much happening. Some people like the soft spoken MC like that but for me it feels like I've read the "Isekai before" even though this isn't an isekai.

Also his dilemma is over done, after the first scene and I believe lashings, the idea of being looked down upon because of status is so generic that I get bored from it. Rather than making an entire scene I'm less interested in Shiro's emotional turmoil of working against the status and more interested in how he can get even. A sulking or sad protagonist just makes me turn off unless the protagonist keeps pushing forward and arguing or plots revenge.

2. I probably wouldn't be the person who relates to that because I don't relate to urban outcasts. I prefer kingdom builders and those who learn to take advantage of society rather than those cast out by it.

3. Haha... to be honest I'd prefer the human female x giant male furry pairing over what you wrote.
1. Since the story is slow-paced with Shiro coming off as fish out of the water in a new place, I wanted this to be the case. It's only then when Shiro is pushed to the brink that he starts acting out. He won't be fully aggressive, but there'll be apt enough reason as to why at his worst, he's merely talking back passive-aggresively. As for his "other sides", I'll elaborate below.

I don't know whether this will excite or disappoint you but Shiro's downtrodden status isn't a premise but a precedent. It was never meant to be a plot point but rather, a backdrop to the aforementioned theme that I'll explore further below. The idea is that when society shuns you, it comes with the one caveat that anyone who notices you can truly see you for who you are. This is why I set the scene before then with the questions. It not only gives rudimentary insight into his backstory, it also establishes his ranking within the Academy. You could say this is a red herring, albeit a horrible one, but tis' be the effect I wish for it to achieve.

2. I'll just be upfront about it: the story is about someone who WANTS to stay in the lowest chasm of society but people keep trying to test him until he eventually snaps and shows WHY he stayed down on the bottom of the shithole in the first place. I won't call it revenge, but rather a tale of "fuck around and find out" but from the perspective of the snake. I DO want you to keep reading, but I also prefer to be honest and not set false expectations.

3. I have a couple """aliases""" you might be interested in knowing.

As for The Problem Store:
I got bored of it at Chapter 2.3.5
Reason being that I'm not into slice of life. -_-
Aye, that's unfortunate, but I understand. Different strokes, different folks.

I'll check out the Kabal sometime this week, I'm going to try and give canine instinct another shot and it may take all week. I'm going to check out the other guys story first.
*Kapal

Also, if you ARE gonna give Caninstinct another shot, I'll make it easy for you: skip chapter 5 and 24. They're chapters zeroing in on building the world/setting atmosphere/foreshadowing. They DO advance the plot, but reading ahead you'd get enough contextual clues to read on without trouble. ALSO also, chapter 12 might be your make-or-break moment. I'll urge that you press on. I can't say it'll be worth it, but what you'd have read before would be my work from years ago. Continuing on, things will be smoother sailing. I'd recommend you just relatively skim through until chapter 15 before reading seriously.

I'm still proud of my work on Caninstinct, but the initial ten or so chapters will remain as an embarrassing torment in my mind.

jrise98

So I got up to chapter 2 before I just couldn't read anymore. Again, this feedback is based on my personal preferences:

What I Liked:
You had proper spelling on 99% of your words and not many typos.

What I did not like:
1. You have lots and lots of narration, and it's not the fun kind of narration. Long blocky paragraphs, walls of text that look like the excerpt below. I'm going to cross out every word I think is unnecessary. Excerpt is from Chapter 2: Zavier (Version 1.1) Part 3

All I can say is... what is all that? What is it? Why did you write all that for? Why did you need an entire block paragraph of 232 words to talk about how he looks to such a specific degree only to shift change to him having a mystery of not showering? This isn't the only paragraph like this.

Not only that, but you spend paragraphs describing Yafu doing something that could be explained in a few sentences. It's like a waste of time to read it... and I can't give feedback on any plot because I'm stuck reading these long wordy paragraphs that drag the scene on much much longer than it has to be.

First of all, you just introduced Yafu in the opening chapter. Unless it's someone who has an obsessive attraction to some guy with a small gently sloping nose (while most of the population might like it they aren't obsessed with noses), you don't have to go into that much detail unless the sloping nose is going to be a big plot point later on... if it is then I apologize for criticizing it.

Anyway, there's a lot of improvement needed on prose, diction, dialogue (which is generic and sparse) and tone. 1st person narration needs you to pretend to be the character telling the story, 3rd person narration requires a tone in order to set the mood. When your sentences are like the above, you're honestly better off writing in first person and simply calling the narrator an overly verbose character.

Again, this is just my honest thoughts. Improvement takes time, I'm pretty sure my first stories were probably worse than what you're writing.
Thank you for the feedback! I have had similar thoughts once I reread what I wrote for my first chapters. When I write them, I was scared on being too shallow and fast paced with my writing and certainly overcorrected into dragging things out. Upon getting past chapter nine and ten in my drafts I realized I would be fine as there is a lot of story to tell. In terms of over describing the characters, I will admit their features are not all that relevant or important, but these are my main characters and I thought trying to make them distinctive and unique looking would let the reader visualize them more fully and would help them with escaping into the world. I do need to either cut that or improve greatly with the descriptions.
In terms of chapter 1, I agree with you that the chapter is very overanalytical of minutia to the point that it bogs it down. I also need to have a larger "come to Jesus" moment overall with the third vs. first person thing. However, I do believe that there is a good chapter in there that just needs to be better written. I like the idea of having the first chapter be a little more intense and drawn out to build more investment in Yafu and hammer home his dedication and razor focus to his goals. Again, I need to do a better job writing it. Again, I'm very appreciative for the review because it appears you did take the time to read and be honest with what you did not like.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Also, if you ARE gonna give Caninstinct another shot, I'll make it easy for you: skip chapter 5 and 24. They're chapters zeroing in on building the world/setting atmosphere/foreshadowing. They DO advance the plot, but reading ahead you'd get enough contextual clues to read on without trouble. ALSO also, chapter 12 might be your make-or-break moment. I'll urge that you press on. I can't say it'll be worth it, but what you'd have read before would be my work from years ago. Continuing on, things will be smoother sailing. I'd recommend you just relatively skim through until chapter 15 before reading seriously.

I'm still proud of my work on Caninstinct, but the initial ten or so chapters will remain as an embarrassing torment in my mind.
Okay... I only made it to chapter 17...

First I want to say that after chapter 1 it feels like the writing/scene quality dropped. You seem to go into a sort of "slice of life" mode and Shiro develops very slowly. Chapter 1 starts with a dilemma and an action scene then the rest of it just goes and goes and goes.

The biggest issue with your story is that the plot, pacing, and attention grabbing events are very far and few in between. You are trying to build the world, yes... but you're also causing a lot of problems by putting in info dump paragraphs because as a reader, I still don't have interest in that part of the world yet.

An example, you introduce humans in chapter 3 and talk about the President, as far as I'm concerned there is no need to introduce or even explain the existence of humans yet when we are still trying to see Shiro show a path of development. Shiro still has to develop, but the story is focused on the background far too much. This is probably why a lot of people don't read past chapter 1 as we're given a scene out of nowhere with animals people are not able to easily relate to from the get go.

There is no clearly defined role that Shiro takes on the dilemma at the beginning, and no strong stance. Also the dilemma, I see it as completely overdone in a lot of tropes. An Overdone dilemma causes two problems. First, because it's overdone, it is familiar, and since it is familiar the reader can't help but assume that it's going to go down a similar paths as other stories that have the same dilemma. The second problem is that the dilemma feels boring where it has been seen too much.

Because you didn't bring up the idea that Shiro wanted no part of it, and you made him into a stuttering character at the beginning, it's not only hard to relate, but it takes away my desire to invest in Shiro as a character because I don't know where he is going to go. It's like asking me to invest in a stock for a company that won't reveal any of their plans or how they plan to develop. Such investments are not only boring, but don't give any promise for what should happen later on.

Second is I really think you're using the wrong medium to write this story. Having characters that are not human or not normal, or who don't look human but are anthropomorphic beings is difficult to use in literature because every new character you introduce is harder to relate. A visual like a movie or a comic would be a lot better as a medium to write a story about such beings.

While I have stated that leaving gaps in descriptions so the reader can fill it in with imagination is good, there is also a problem that comes when there is too much gap. If something is unfamiliar to readers then it's harder to imagine it in writing and having a wolf going around doing his thing as the main character when the reader only has words to describe him doesn't work as well. IT's hard to identify with and a lot of readers are instantly turned off. It's kind of like how people say they don't like furries but can't explain why, but then they can enjoy Disney movies like the Junglebook, Zootopia and Kungfu Panda, which are in fact anthropomorphic animals.

Third When you go into world building mode you start to have the long boring blocky paragraphs. I really believe those should be broken up and brought in when something needs to be explained. Give the readers more credit in filling in the gaps until something is needed to be known about. If the reader does not invest in Shiro, they won't care what kind of world Shiro lives in.

---
I'm moving on from Caninstinct... I'll check out Kapal and re-open this thread. As usual, I'll read until I get bored.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

I'm moving on from Caninstinct... I'll check out Kapal and re-open this thread. As usual, I'll read until I get bored.
I want to reply with something in equal effort but I can only reflect on my work through your words for the time being. Thanks for the critique, I'll make sure to keep deep mind of it as I write in the future.

whitewoman

Theres mine. Its a fantasy story with litrpg elements based off the wandering inn. Has two chapters so far and 18k words.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Last door has no philosophy nor comedy, but it does have some(?) emotional characters. It's a simple Fallout fanfic that features an original setting and characters, only borrowing the themes of the IP in the barest sense of """fanfic""". BUT, there's a guaranteed 0% presence of furries and a whole lot of paragraphs dedicated to atmosphere/world-building and dialogue. Average length'd. This is the vanilla option, as most people choose this whenever I give them these options.

I didn't realize it was a fanfic... but then Fallout is always about how the player makes his own stories. Anyway... again I have nothing to say about the technical aspect of your writing, so I'm going to only criticize the content. I read up until 3.5.

1. I could only make out the purpose of the story after reading the synopsis it's about Subjek wanting to bury his maker. At the beginning you don't even use names. I think there were a few thousand words before we got the name in 2.4. I was basically reading about some bandaged guy who did this and did that and honestly it also means there is no connection between the reader and the main character.

2. Without that connection, the action felt like empty and meaningless descriptions of what is happening in that world (at least to me).

I'd say that the biggest issue with your writing is that you forget this is a literary medium and not a visual medium. You have good descriptors of everything going on, but the characters you write are difficult to relate too in a literary setting.

This is subjective but here's how I qualify whether I have a connection with Subjek.

A. Do I like Subjek based on what I know so far? - No
B. Do I wish I could be like Subjek? - No
C. Do I think Bandages are cool? - No
D. Is Subjek doing things or behaving in a way I would or I like? - No

D is due to the fact there is little revealing about him. Since he is the main character he has to be doing something. The characters you are writing are being fleshed out and it shows you have an idea of who or what you want to them to be but as a reader I just can't get into it.

3. You start Slice of Life stuff way too early. Slice of life works when they get you interested in the character. Often slice of life is first person perspective because it makes it easier for the reader to relate, or a 3rd person perspective that follows the emotions of the character closely. Chapter 3.5 has too much implication and not enough tell for the reader to see what the Subjek and Sampah who is mentioned first might be thinking about the market and the mundane.

I personally don't like slice of life, but when I enjoy it those elements have to be present.

Other than that, I feel like Kapal is the easiest for me to read out of all three you put up. It's well written even if I'm not the target audience and I don't really have anything I can tell you about big improvements.

Theres mine. Its a fantasy story with litrpg elements based off the wandering inn. Has two chapters so far and 18k words.
Again, this is my subjective opinion.

Liked:
Your grammar works for the most part.
Easy to understand who is talking.
Spacing.

Disliked:
Generic Isekai is right.
There is no weight at the beginning when Temujin loses his family or friends by leaving. What's the point of writing about them? It just makes it a bit cheap sounding.
Their home is gone. Their mum, their dad, their entire family and then there were their friends. Emilia, Themis, Salazaar. They'd been inseparable since primary school, and now they were gone. It was only now that Temujin realised that they were more than friends or even best friends. They were their sisters and brother.
I mean, this is basically useless and then having him wail is extremely generic and unemotional because he comes back and is with Emilia on the bus? I mean is this a flashback?

Also, you overuse dialogue when telling the story. Dialogue is fine but using it too much becomes generic. I complain a lot when writers write long and blocky texts with endless descriptions but I'm only saying this because you're going too far in the opposite direction with dialogue that shifts from scene to scene without enough descriptors that can orient the reader to the scene.

As such, It's hard to follow what's going on because you don't spend enough time explaining what is going on. This story is in third person, but even a first person story would require the narrator to say what is being felt in a scene. Although you can imply things, implication of feelings and other ideas need appropriate information to be passed to the reader.

Also.. this is personal but I really do not like LitRPG's. I think they are a curse on good literature because often they make everything based on a power scale rather than tactical or strategic scale like and takes away the realism of combat encounters. That is only my personal opinion.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

1. I could only make out the purpose of the story after reading the synopsis it's about Subjek wanting to bury his maker. At the beginning you don't even use names. I think there were a few thousand words before we got the name in 2.4. I was basically reading about some bandaged guy who did this and did that and honestly it also means there is no connection between the reader and the main character.
The reason I withheld the names is cause' I wanted the world to take centre stage. I wanted the carriage scene to act as a catalyst, whereby I establish that characters aren't important, at least compared to the dynamic of the world, via a literal scattershot massacre. When the readers get accustomed to the world or at least understand it to its rudimentary degree, only then do I give a name. I guess I didn't convey the focus enough there.

2. Without that connection, the action felt like empty and meaningless descriptions of what is happening in that world (at least to me).

I'd say that the biggest issue with your writing is that you forget this is a literary medium and not a visual medium. You have good descriptors of everything going on, but the characters you write are difficult to relate too in a literary setting.

This is subjective but here's how I qualify whether I have a connection with Subjek.

A. Do I like Subjek based on what I know so far? - No
B. Do I wish I could be like Subjek? - No
C. Do I think Bandages are cool? - No
D. Is Subjek doing things or behaving in a way I would or I like? - No

D is due to the fact there is little revealing about him. Since he is the main character he has to be doing something. The characters you are writing are being fleshed out and it shows you have an idea of who or what you want to them to be but as a reader I just can't get into it.
This is definitely subjective, as I tend to build my characters to be neutral on reader enticement, and in no way, shape, or form role models or even remotely cool people whose actions are to be emulated. If readers feel like my characters are cool, then so be it, but more than anything, I want readers to understand them firsthand. That's my priority. Relation comes second to reason. This goes in tandem with the aforementioned focus on the world more so than the characters. After establishing the world as a focus, I want my character's actions to come off as necessary, not to be relatable. I found success in some readers, but I didn't resonate with you and a lot of others.

And as an added addendum, I want my main character's actions to be ground-breaking. As in, I don't want to end up writing a story where the MC does a whole lot but nothing much comes out of it. I see this in a lot of stories where they'd send their MCs on a bunch of adventures and fight scenes but it's mostly unnamed goons or roadside bandits that, to be honest, if skimmed through would result with nothing. I want my MCs actions to suffice at least one of these categories: (a) character development, (b) plot advancement, (c) trait reveal. There's no use revealing something about him prematurely when there's no stage for him to use it in.

3. You start Slice of Life stuff way too early. Slice of life works when they get you interested in the character. Often slice of life is first person perspective because it makes it easier for the reader to relate, or a 3rd person perspective that follows the emotions of the character closely. Chapter 3.5 has too much implication and not enough tell for the reader to see what the Subjek and Sampah who is mentioned first might be thinking about the market and the mundane.

I personally don't like slice of life, but when I enjoy it those elements have to be present.
This really does come down to the audience, I think. I maintained as much integrity between dialogue and avoid outright explanation because this goes in tandem with the spirit of the games I'm writing about (at least the good ones). I want them to be understood from implications and contextual clues, and not just show them "aye sampah does this and that". I'd argue that it isn't slice-of-life, or that not every transitional chapter is a "slice-of-life" chapter. Maybe it's because I'm still in the process of writing this, because I like to leave breadcrumbs across initial chapters only for everything to come together once the arc ends, so it might end up looking like SOL at times.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
This is definitely subjective, as I tend to build my characters to be neutral on reader enticement, and in no way, shape, or form role models or even remotely cool people whose actions are to be emulated. If readers feel like my characters are cool, then so be it, but more than anything, I want readers to understand them firsthand. That's my priority. Relation comes second to reason. This goes in tandem with the aforementioned focus on the world more so than the characters. After establishing the world as a focus, I want my character's actions to come off as necessary, not to be relatable. I found success in some readers, but I didn't resonate with you and a lot of others.

And as an added addendum, I want my main character's actions to be ground-breaking. As in, I don't want to end up writing a story where the MC does a whole lot but nothing much comes out of it. I see this in a lot of stories where they'd send their MCs on a bunch of adventures and fight scenes but it's mostly unnamed goons or roadside bandits that, to be honest, if skimmed through would result with nothing. I want my MCs actions to suffice at least one of these categories: (a) character development, (b) plot advancement, (c) trait reveal. There's no use revealing something about him prematurely when there's no stage for him to use it in.
Here's where our opinions differ greatly when it comes to the importance of a story's relatability. There is no one stopping you from writing how you want to write, whether you want to focus on the world or focus on the actions of a character. Certainly there will be readers who like what you write. There are definitely readers who will attach themselves to your story and will like the world/characters as is, but what you are looking for (what most are looking for when asking for feedback) is reader engagement with the story so they will invest the time to read it.

Time spent reading is an investment.

It's easier to invest/relate to a character than it is to the background. Again there are some readers who will resonate with this but I don't. I don't think there are many who would resonate and invest in something they can't relate too unless they're just reading for the lulls or reading because the world is interesting. There will be hardcore individuals who will love world-building but in general those are the kind of people who love a world so much they want to live in it.

A post-apocalyptic setting isn't the kind of world the majority of people want to live in (this is compared to worlds with societies and cultures like Star Trek) so world building isn't as important for that experience, it's more important as a matter to satisfy curiosity. As for your statement about MC going out to fight goons or bandits, that is basically part of the background showing that the character can progress (although a very small amount), but I never once said you needed to go that route. The whole point of Subjek is that he's supposed to be the main character so even a small paragraph introduction on his goals or what he wants to do can easily bring relatability to the reader up a notch and give some investment.

I'm just saying bluntly. There aren't many people who would be invested in your story unless you're already a famous author and people are willing to give it a shot just because of your name.

Second, the story is still short and released in a web novel fashion. Free web novels may take a long time to complete and there are often no guarantees the author will complete it before dropping. If you had completed the novel and uploaded it all at once, a reader might be more willing to invest into it with such a beginning.

As for the remark about the slice of life market scene. I'm not faulting you for a change of pace but when there are still so many questions to the character's motivations it doesn't actually fit. The story focuses a ton on the interactions between characters to where I'm not even sure where it's supposed to go and what you're trying to do, hence I find that there is a distinct slice of life influence due to the focus on the mundane conversations in between the action.

I mean, I can tell what you're going for as you explained it, it's just what you're going for isn't something I'd be interested in or want to invest long term into.

whitewoman

because he comes back and is with Emilia on the bus? I mean is this a flashback?
that was a dream sequence, is it not clear? Like they go to sleep and then afterwards wake up.

Also, you overuse dialogue when telling the story. Dialogue is fine but using it too much becomes generic. I complain a lot when writers write long and blocky texts with endless descriptions but I'm only saying this because you're going too far in the opposite direction with dialogue that shifts from scene to scene without enough descriptors that can orient the reader to the scene.

As such, It's hard to follow what's going on because you don't spend enough time explaining what is going on. This story is in third person, but even a first person story would require the narrator to say what is being felt in a scene. Although you can imply things, implication of feelings and other ideas need appropriate information to be passed to the reader.
yeahhhh big problem with me. I'll do better. I'll introduce an editing day i guess with my cycle so i can make it flow better and add descriptors and shit

There is no weight at the beginning when Temujin loses his family or friends by leaving. What's the point of writing about them? It just makes it a bit cheap sounding.
shit. I'll fix it up when i finish the first book, making a note of this now.

Also.. this is personal but I really do not like LitRPG's. I think they are a curse on good literature because often they make everything based on a power scale rather than tactical or strategic scale like and takes away the realism of combat encounters. That is only my personal opinion.
there's just a bunch of shitty writers in it(like me). go read wandering inn.

Thanks so much for reading the first chapter! too bad you not reading the second :(((

just one thing, what do you think of the mc's name Temujin? I think I've been writing it too much so I'm starting to question it.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
1. that was a dream sequence, is it not clear? Like they go to sleep and then afterwards wake up.

2. there's just a bunch of shitty writers in it(like me). go read wandering inn.

3. Thanks so much for reading the first chapter! too bad you not reading the second :(((

4. just one thing, what do you think of the mc's name Temujin? I think I've been writing it too much so I'm starting to question it.
1. The sentences leading into the Dream Sequences aren't clear. It could benefit from a line break or something
They take a seat on the rope bed, and then lie down. A quick nap wouldn't hurt, would it? To reinvigorate, and that's as far as their thoughts went as they drifted off into sleep.

It was camp, year six. High school was next year and so the kids were given this trip as a sort of farewell, though 'given' is quite a stretch thinking about how much it cost the parents.

You just put a whole bunch of spaces in between, you didn't mention it was in the past... so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. If you add the word "dream" in there somewhere it might make it more clear.

2. Even the so called "good LitRPG" stories from RR I don't like. I just feel like the stat sheets are wasted space and explaining something which doesn't need numbers to quantify.

3. I read half of chapter 2 before I gave up. It's what I call an info-dump dialogue and I get that you want to introduce the background so the reader can understand the world but doing it in a dialogue drags it out to where I found it a chore to finish reading.

4. Personally it reminds me of the name of Genghis Khan and you mentioned Khan in there which gives me the expectation it will go down some route of a conquerer once Vel has trained him. If you don't plan to make him into a conqueror it's probably better to give him a name not associated with it. Random characters can receive random names but the name of the MC can give people expectations unless it's really generic like John, or Kevin.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I never take part in these so why not. How about my spoopy Haloween short stories?