Bunch of questions about your power system

Haku45

I'm curious about it. And I definitely don't gonna steal anything.
1. How do you show that there is one character. Let's say, we have character A. And he is stronger than character B, but they have same feats. How I should show they gap.
2. Does your system allow improvisation? Or is she severely limited in her capabilities?
3. Your system allows the body to regenerate? More and more often I come across stories where the characters are like glass cannons.
4. fire burn? Or not?
5. Is it possible to use a cheap trick? Or only the persistent are rewarded.
6. Your system is integrated into technology?
8. Can animals use your power system?

Corty

On Vacation, on Uranus
  1. A beating B.
  2. Yes, but within logical limits
  3. Yes and no. The higher the level, the more it does.
  4. Yes and no. Power specific. House of Amarin MC's fire was freezing.
  5. What cheap trick? But, well, if I am thinking of what I think you are thinking, then yes, but VERY sparsely.
  6. Yes and no. Happenstance. My current story is a magic tech story, so yes.
  7. You missed question 7
  8. Yes.

AmeronWerschrux

1. How do you show that there is one character. Let's say, we have character A. And he is stronger than character B, but they have same feats. How I should show they gap.
2. Does your system allow improvisation? Or is she severely limited in her capabilities?
3. Your system allows the body to regenerate? More and more often I come across stories where the characters are like glass cannons.
4. fire burn? Or not?
1. Have character A defeat B, I think that's possibly the most effective way
2. My system allows improvisation, my power system is quite unique in the way that it utilizes narrative principles and cliches of stories to declare what will happen, so if given enough reason, my protagonist can twist and turn rules depending on certain parameters, such as genres.
3. Yep, if my protagonist turns the genre into a Slice-of-Life one, then injuries are treated as comedic relief and will recover by the next day or even a few seconds.
4. Yeah
5. My power system revolves around cheap tricks, but of course, those who are persistent are also rewarded, especially if one is well-versed in cliches.
6. Technically, yeah. Since my power system revolves typically in anime genres, Mecha is definitely in that list, also Sentai.
8. If you're talking about pure animal, then no. If things like kemonomimis, then yes (if they are knowledgeable enough)
Ahaha, sorry, my power system might be really different when compared to others

Haku45

1. Have character A defeat B, I think that's possibly the most effective way
2. My system allows improvisation, my power system is quite unique in the way that it utilizes narrative principles and cliches of stories to declare what will happen, so if given enough reason, my protagonist can twist and turn rules depending on certain parameters, such as genres.
3. Yep, if my protagonist turns the genre into a Slice-of-Life one, then injuries are treated as comedic relief and will recover by the next day or even a few seconds.
4. Yeah
5. My power system revolves around cheap tricks, but of course, those who are persistent are also rewarded, especially if one is well-versed in cliches.
6. Technically, yeah. Since my power system revolves typically in anime genres, Mecha is definitely in that list, also Sentai.
8. If you're talking about pure animal, then no. If things like kemonomimis, then yes (if they are knowledgeable enough)
Ahaha, sorry, my power system might be really different when compared to others
It's definitely unique and look fun. What name? I want to read it

HuaiChi

4. fire burn? Or not?
1. A direct fight is an easy way out. If you are introducing A's ability, a better way to do it is for B to take multiple test. B is happy with the results. When he checked the results from previous test takers, he found that in every category he was second. And can you guess who one is?
2. depend on type of system. A helpful system with limitations, a system that wants MC to grow strong, or a broken system that wants MC to lose. In all the cases, different constraints would work. first one is okay to stay within the limit, for the second you can bend the rules, for the third you are going against it all the time.
3. Hurting is one way to show the struggle of the MC; however, immediate regeneration would make the reader lose interest in the characters. cap how much one can regenerate.
4. make it a fire that can evolve. A low-level fire won't hurt, high level one would be hard to extinguish.
5. cheap trick is okay in a losing fight. But it is a big no-no when MC is training.
6. Yes, access to current knowledge is always helpful.
8. What if MC is an animal?

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
1. Experience, attitude, the act of beating them

2. There are people with and without a 'System'. Those with it are stuck with things they may not want. Those without it are given the flexibility to do whatever they want but cannot reach the same heights. So yep, they're very limited (but very powerful), as those higher up rely on technology to overcome this limitation. In the grand scheme of things the power system itself is very flexible, since it's not limited to the concept of the 'System'.

3. No. But the stronger people are the faster they can naturally heal. Nothing beats the healing powers of Healers. And the stronger one is, the more they can physically and mentally resist.

4. Fire burns. Some fires burn hotter. Some people don't get burned. Some people are fire.

5. Both? Normally someone weaker shouldn't be able to beat someone stronger, but it does and can absolutely happen. I'm not sure if you'd count a gun as a cheap trick too? Or tools that can make up the gap in power? Cheap tricks can come in the form of someone mentally breaking down and some saviour giving them a special power up that in reality degrades them further till nothing of them is left. Cheap tricks come in the form of emotions, but it's incredibly costly and risky. Others are following certain conditions set out by an entity (like playing by its rules) than a test of strength.

6. Yes and no, but technology absolutely allows people to soar higher than anyone else. But so can the body/soul itself under certain conditions.

8. Yes.

Lau.R.Griffin

As has been mentioned the simplest way is to have the two characters fight and the stronger one triumph. But if an action scene isn't appropriate in the moment due to the pacing or some other aspect of the plot, there are other means. If you think about this in terms of narrative construction it can be helpful: why is it that you want character A to be stronger than character B, from a storytelling perspective?

Put another way, a fight is suitable if character A is an antagonist, because that character represents an obstacle or a threat and being stronger can go a long way to enhancing the danger. However what if character A is an ally to character B, such as a teacher or other mentor? Or what if they're essentially neutral to the conflict, just someone character B meets on the journey? In those situations character A being stronger would have totally different purposes. So for me I always try to have an idea of what I'm trying to achieve in a given scene and how it relates to the wider story.

Haku45

1. A direct fight is an easy way out. If you are introducing A's ability, a better way to do it is for B to take multiple test. B is happy with the results. When he checked the results from previous test takers, he found that in every category he was second. And can you guess who one is?
2. depend on type of system. A helpful system with limitations, a system that wants MC to grow strong, or a broken system that wants MC to lose. In all the cases, different constraints would work. first one is okay to stay within the limit, for the second you can bend the rules, for the third you are going against it all the time.
3. Hurting is one way to show the struggle of the MC; however, immediate regeneration would make the reader lose interest in the characters. cap how much one can regenerate.
4. make it a fire that can evolve. A low-level fire won't hurt, high level one would be hard to extinguish.
5. cheap trick is okay in a losing fight. But it is a big no-no when MC is training.
6. Yes, access to current knowledge is always helpful.
8. What if MC is an animal?
It counts. I about 8
As has been mentioned the simplest way is to have the two characters fight and the stronger one triumph. But if an action scene isn't appropriate in the moment due to the pacing or some other aspect of the plot, there are other means. If you think about this in terms of narrative construction it can be helpful: why is it that you want character A to be stronger than character B, from a storytelling perspective?

Put another way, a fight is suitable if character A is an antagonist, because that character represents an obstacle or a threat and being stronger can go a long way to enhancing the danger. However what if character A is an ally to character B, such as a teacher or other mentor? Or what if they're essentially neutral to the conflict, just someone character B meets on the journey? In those situations character A being stronger would have totally different purposes. So for me I always try to have an idea of what I'm trying to achieve in a given scene and how it relates to the wider story.
Character A and B in my story know each other. But they didn't have the opportunity to fight. One of them died and was reborn in another body, which is why I created a question for myself, how can I logically show that one bypasses the other, without stupidly writing about it directly “A is stronger than B because I said so.” When they have the same feats. But probably the best thing is to simply admit that the strongest is the one who lives longer.

Last edited:

Lau.R.Griffin

Character A and B in my story know each other. But they didn't have the opportunity to fight. One of them died and was reborn in another body, which is why I created a question for myself, how can I logically show that one bypasses the other, without stupidly writing about it directly “A is stronger than B because I said so.” When they have the same feats. But probably the best thing is to simply admit that the strongest is the one who lives longer.
My suggestion then would be to have the stronger character demonstrate an advanced ability that the weaker character currently can't do.

Last edited:

esThr

1: A fights B and B could suddenly be a B2 (honestly the fights will get more cryptic)
2: My world's "System" if you can even call it that only works more as a true vision that allows you to see the world for what it is (no bs levelling or litrpg stuff but allows for stuff like seeing skills and conditions of certain things)
3: Same answer as 2 it's only a glorified appraisal if anything, so no.
4: Yes and no, natural stuff is key but sometimes some enemies (phenomenons which are more align with unpredictability) can just void that concept into something more unthinkable.
5: Pure persistence is the name of the mc. Otherwise, some strategy definitely helps
6: same answer as 2 & 3.
7: Every living being is born fair by nature and can get the chance to be throned in the divine skies, and possibly the cosmic seas.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
The magic system in my universe:

ntrmajeksystem.png

Verdant

4. fire burn? Or not?
1. The more powerful character has the higher level. If both are the same level, then they’re equal in power level but typically have different stats and classes’.

2. Pretty rigid, each character have 4 skills and 1 technique. They can’t be changed (not in combat) are for the most part, are the same throughout the story.

3. The status aliment: Heal or Regeneration restores user’s (and ally depending on specifics) shield and health%. As far as recovering body parts… my novel isn’t that gory lol.

4. Fire is a status ailment that deals DoT% for health. Hellfire is the same but is a stronger ailment. To be noted, shields are the 1st (contact to damage) health barrier thing. Burn doesn’t really deal that much damage to shields though.. unlike corrode and melt.

5. Abilities and techniques are versatile, however, they all follow the same rules. Shortly put, they aren’t any insane or cheap tricks that can do things like erase someone from existence.. That stuff is for Jojo lol

6. My novel is sci-fi and takes place around 2082ish, so by default it intergrates technology. The entire battle system is technologically based however it does end up looking like magic.

7. Animals? No.. but robots… Yes!

Thraben

4. fire burn? Or not?
I have many power systems but all of them always follow the same rules no matter how visually and mechanically different
1. Accomplishing the same thing in no way means it took the same amount of effort for each person, and common sense dictates that unless someone has the exact same powers one of them must be stronger than the other as far as observers are concerned. Someone who cannot accept this is in delusion, and I love writing that as a character flaw so I let it be.
2. Yes but be careful, improvising too close to the sun and ending up with permanent consequences (even purely cosmetic ones like scars) are really cool moments to read.
3. Yes but it should be rare. Humans and humanlikes are inherently and irreparably biomechanically 'squishy'. Unless you're on some extreme levels of bullshit, if it would kill a real human, it should kill or grievously injure a characters.
4. Yes and no. In the right circumstances, fire is the single biggest threat of a scenario, but if all someone has done is make their sword flaming, that will accomplish exactly nothing.
5. Cheap tricks should absolutely work, but buyer beware, it was cheap for a reason.
6. It can be. That is always the answer. Someone could. Maybe someone even has. In fact, I would argue that enchanted magic items are just magic systems integrated with technology, for what that's worth.
7. Yes, if they're not humanlike intelligences, this takes the form of 'instinctual' (though I loathe that archaic way of thinking about animals) usage. A goat doesn't really know what it is doing when it does a little bit of earth magic to climb up an otherwise impassable cliff face, but it did know that it could do that.

seahorsepink1

4. fire burn? Or not?
1) one: make them 1v1 and the stronger wins by mini-circumstance. two: describe it the power difference (aura like Goku). three: give character A a slightly stronger power. four: say character A is more experienced.
2) one: like wuxia worlds, there can be "breakthroughs". two: include an "awakening" system. three: something that relates to the plot. ex. MC is held back via unknown disease.
3) yes. natural regeneration is easy. limbs cannot be restored.
4) yes.
5) cheap trick? there are no cheap trick skills in my story building. either be talented, or be skilled.
6) yes.
7) animals with a human-like IQ will automatically be integrated in the strength system. they will no longer be labeled as "beasts" when they possess wit. at that point, it is free will.

MenmaAishi

4. fire burn? Or not?
1. Their skills. They may have similar feats but will get different skills based on their personalities, which can make you lose or win a battle. For example, a genius military commander who doesn't know how to fight properly will get skills based on his accomplishments. Someone who did a similar feat but had more direct involvement will receive a different type of skill
2. People can make their skills and assemble other skills into more powerful variants, however, it's a tiring process and a lot of trial and error(unless you have a skill that does that for you)
3. Yes, now, it depends, humans will need the skill to regrow back limbs or heal more severe damage. Monster races however will not require a skill in all cases since that skill is inherent to their race
4. Unless you have a fire or elemental resistance it will burn you
5. It is. It matters how creative a person is with their skills
6. Yes and no. Only in some areas but it's very primitive
7. Yes and no. If you consider demi-humans animals or beast people animals maybe you have a point.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
4. fire burn? Or not?
1. B tries something, and A overwhelms them or seizes control, much like a physical fight.
2. Yes.... but most people are taught that it only works a certain way, are encouraged to only use it a certain way, and are generally too weak to use it any other way.
3. Not so much. Healing is very taxing, even potentially deadly, shouldn't be tried if you're not able to rest and gorge on calories immediately, and Healing anyone but yourself is extremely difficult. Fleshwarping is also possible so over long enough time you can physically strengthen the body. But again, slow and painful.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. No.
7. It is a philosophical journey delving into the duality of man.
8. Yes..ish.... they use it unconsciously.