Can you add romance later in story?

Agentt

Thighs
To answer the title of the thread... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to add romance later on? Or rather... Wouldn't any story that is not focused on romance have it usually developed later on the story instead of at the start?

Like, first the characters are strangers, then they become comrades due to circumstances, then they slowly become friends, then they start noticing that there is something more to their friendship, until eventually they understand their own feelings of love? (and then they confess like, near the last chapter or something)

I think that's like... A super duper common trope? Really, I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to do that, seems like a pretty common thing to me.
Oh it is very common, I was just referring to the situation here

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Oh it is very common, I was just referring to the situation here
But but...
No, the answer is no, I know that, but I still want to share this incident.
You lied to me! :blob_paint: :blob_paint: :blob_paint:
A new author who I was guiding around the place was scared that readers will lewd their characters
On another note, this probably the stupidest reason I have ever heard... >.>

Like, geez, monster girls are a bit of a fetish for some people, it's pretty easy for them to be lewded... >.>

Agentt

Thighs
But but...

You lied to me! :blob_paint: :blob_paint: :blob_paint:
In my defence, me no speaking english. English, bad, very bad, me.
On another note, this probably the stupidest reason I have ever heard... >.>

Like, geez, monster girls are a bit of a fetish for some people, it's pretty easy for them to be lewded... >.>
I said that too! But they didn't believe me!

AliceShiki

In my defence, me no speaking english. English, bad, very bad, me.

I said that too! But they didn't believe me!

Freemints30

Imma gonna be honest for a bit. Rude, but honest. That's the dumbest reason I ever heard of. So dumb in fact, initially I thought you were joking...
Sorry, but yeah I agree, like this person should take some time away from writing and do a bit of self reflections.

Like... bruh, have not heard of monster girls? the supernatural romance genre with werewolves and blood thirsty vampires? people want Alcard from hellsing to bang them?

Do they live in cave?.

At this point I would be not as polite to them. Sounds like an ego on this person

Agentt

Thighs
Sorry, but yeah I agree, like this person should take some time away from writing and do a bit of self reflections.

Like... bruh, have not heard of monster girls? the supernatural romance genre with werewolves and blood thirsty vampires? people want Alcard from hellsing to bang them?

Do they live in cave?.

At this point I would be not as polite to them. Sounds like an ego on this person
No, it's exactly since they knew about monster girls that they thought the characters will be lewded, which is why they tried to make them as unattractive as possible.

Freemints30

And now he made something catering to people with a masochist kink (or straight up vore) doomed battle. No matter what, unattractive is just some one else's attractive.

If there's people writting and drawing ero-fanfics of squidward (as he is the show with no diffrences... its scary at times) , they can find insect monstrous mantis chicks hot.

AliceShiki

No, it's exactly since they knew about monster girls that they thought the characters will be lewded, which is why they tried to make them as unattractive as possible.
:blob_facepalm: :blob_facepalm: :blob_facepalm:

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
No, the answer is no, I know that, but I still want to share this incident.

A new author who I was guiding around the place was scared that readers will lewd their characters. They absolutely didn't wanted any romance whatsoever, so they ensured that by making all the female characters as strange.

The female characters are
1. Insects like mantis
2. Snakes, not sexy lamia type, but literally snales
3. They eat humans as food, and male lead is a human.
4. They are all very aggressive and will kill you if you touch them.

And these are the good guys

However, when they are in middles of the story, they realised, they do wanna see romance between the male lead and the female lead.

And that is a problem.
It was already established that the females view the male lead like we view fish. We can eat them, and we don't even know if the ML is handsome or not, they don't even know if he is a male.

So, the best thing we can do is to upgrade the food fish to pet fish, but romance is pretty much impossible.
Lewding only happens if the series reached a certain level of fame, even more so if it has cute characters's illustrations.

However the lewding you see on the internet mostly happened towards some famed intertainment industries such as games, anime, manga, LN, webtoon, or american comics, movies, cartoon and so on.

So I don't think he should worry to much and just keep writing. Things might be different if he add illustrations and post it on social media.

Also: some sort of people on the internet have weird fetishes, especially monster girls. His story might ended up getting their attention. So he better re-pan his story if he truly wantsto avoid lewding.

Last edited:

AuthorSME

Really depends on how your characters develop and the story progresses. All of my series have very slow-burning romance in the background as they're slice of life. 'Some' enjoy that, but most tend to want it to go down a roller coaster and stories to not have much build or development; I've learned for a long time that readers 'mainly' want cardboard characters that follow specific tropes, and yes, they'll complain about it all day, and you'll get a few 1-stars because they didn't get their fix just right, but in the end, they go back like a drug addict.

Just kind of sad I don't enjoy writing those types of novels. Haha! People are horn heads and don't want to explore the personality or character but read about A and B and how it got down ... everything in between is bland and mostly skimmed chapters. =P Everyone knows that most people on this site are here by what you see in the top 100.