charge readers to read chapters?

scribesaga

I'm sure someone's posted something about this. But It would be great if the author can require readers to pay some small fee to read new chapters, like 50 cents. Or they could subscribe to your book for an up front fee. There's a lot of sites that will let your book earn some money, but they require contracts. I wish I could include a charge to read the latest chapters without signing over the rights of my work to the company.

scribesaga

I've thought about that, but I just thought it would be more convenient if there was some kind of feature here.

D

Deleted member 45782

ScribbleHub was made to be a free write site and a free read site. Not stories behind paywall site.

That being said, there's Patreon I have heard if you want to lock certain chapters away for readers to pay to read your story.
Have heard some that also put some of their stories on Amazon.
I believe there's also a tip option on ScribbleHub as well?

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
I'm sure someone's posted something about this. But It would be great if the author can require readers to pay some small fee to read new chapters, like 50 cents. Or they could subscribe to your book for an up front fee. There's a lot of sites that will let your book earn some money, but they require contracts. I wish I could include a charge to read the latest chapters without signing over the rights of my work to the company.
Isn't that why people make a Patreon and release more chapters there?
Yeah it's called patreon and making people pay you means people might avoid your book all together and read maybe better free books on the site

D

Deleted member 45782

Maybe Radish too? I have heard people from wattpad post stories there and readers will pay to continue reading? Or something like that. Thu idk how good it is.

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Once you inject money into any equation, things start to get real sus real fast.

Personally, I think having a Patreon/Ko-Fi on the side is good enough. Implementing paywalls doesn't seem like the best idea to me, especially when ScribbleHub is still quite small.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Tony is not a fan of paywalls, so while you can do whatever you want outside SH, while on SH, there will be no paywalls. You want early chapter paywalls, you need to get a patreon setup. It's not even that hard, really. You can just add "This is the end of the free chapters. You can read the rest on my patreon."

Besides, payment gateway providers are a total pain in the titties. If your site is not making big bucks, they treat you like 5th class citizens.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
You have no idea what legal nightmare you're asking Tony to put himself through.

Handling money is a nightmare, it's definitely not worth it for him.
I second this. That man does a lot. The last thing SH needs is for him to have to get lawyers involved. I know a few writers that put chapters in their Patreon as many suggested. It's not a bad idea and if your base is starving enough, some with spare change might come to the dark side and start giving you money.

Nymus

I´m seeing you already have a subscribe.star page.

Sry to bust your bubble, just look at your idea. would you pay 50 cents (in whatever currency) to read a small chapter / short story (just say 10k words)? ok, I can´t say if your work is it worth, I will just assume it is, very good edited and without any mistakes, but if I look at something like AmAzOing Dings with whole books about 100 - 500k words you can buy starting at 0.99 $ - you should be very good to ask your readers to pay you money just to read ahead.

The three stories you have posted here attracted alltogether round about 200 readers and have an average about 65k words. Rating seems good but no reviews. Based only on this I wouldn´t pay anything. I may lend your work with KU but anything I would buy needs to have 300 - 400k words minimum in a single book or volume. I simply don´t buy short stories.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I´m seeing you already have a subscribe.star page.

Sry to bust your bubble, just look at your idea. would you pay 50 cents (in whatever currency) to read a small chapter / short story (just say 10k words)? ok, I can´t say if your work is it worth, I will just assume it is, very good edited and without any mistakes, but if I look at something like AmAzOing Dings with whole books about 100 - 500k words you can buy starting at 0.99 $ - you should be very good to ask your readers to pay you money just to read ahead.

The three stories you have posted here attracted alltogether round about 200 readers and have an average about 65k words. Rating seems good but no reviews. Based only on this I wouldn´t pay anything. I may lend your work with KU but anything I would buy needs to have 300 - 400k words minimum in a single book or volume. I simply don´t buy short stories.
It's pointless to compare webnovel market with e-book market. They are completely different and e-books are considerably cheaper.

Both patreon with Advance chapters and donations for faster releases are tried and true methods that are well-known to work well within the webnovel market. Readers don't care if they can get a different book for cheaper, because they want this book.

scribesaga

It's pointless to compare webnovel market with e-book market. They are completely different and e-books are considerably cheaper.

Both patreon with Advance chapters and donations for faster releases are tried and true methods that are well-known to work well within the webnovel market. Readers don't care if they can get a different book for cheaper, because they want this book.

I'm just going to work hard to finish my books, then edit and sell e-book versions on Smashwords. I really post my stuff here for the feedback anyway. The community itself is priceless. I guess I shouldn't get too greedy.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
At the rate of views I'm getting, I'd prefer if I could charge them for viewing my page.