Cover Art: Go thematic, or MC-based?

Thematic? Or MC-based?

• Thematic

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • MC-based

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Nathan_F

I'm currently commissioning some cover art for my novel series, in progress. The concept is D&D: X-Files.

The question: should my cover art lean heavily on the expected tone of the series, or on the characters that people will be reading about?

For example, I've asked the artist to take a poster of Mulder and Scully from the X-Files, and change Mulder to look like a paladin and Scully to look like a fire-slinging tiefling. Readers would know what sort of story they're getting into at a glance.

But then I thought, fantasy Mulder and Scully aren't the protagonists of my story. It's a highly-intelligent ex-scribe warlock who's sold his soul to a book, and a tabaxi friend who can barely keep her thoughts together enough to form a complete sentence. Should THESE be the characters on the cover?

Any input welcome.

SailusGebel

What do you want your cover to be? I mean, what goal do you pursuit with making a cover? Increasing viewership or making it easier for readers to understand what to expect from your story?

Nathan_F

What do you want your cover to be? I mean, what goal do you pursuit with making a cover? Increasing viewership or making it easier for readers to understand what to expect from your story?
Both, I guess? Wouldn't clueing potential readers in to knowing what to expect attract more clicks?

SailusGebel

Both, I guess? Wouldn't clueing potential readers in to knowing what to expect attract more clicks?
No. Hot anime chicks attract more clicks. I don't know the actual statistic, but I have a feeling that others will agree with me. As for clueing potential readers, it doesn't matter that much. Usually, people click on interesting\good-looking covers. They don't care if the cover is hinting at the plot. Though I might be wrong about the second statement, the first one is more or less valid. A beautiful drawn woman on cover = more clicks.

Nathan_F

No. Hot anime chicks attract more clicks. I don't know the actual statistic, but I have a feeling that others will agree with me. As for clueing potential readers, it doesn't matter that much. Usually, people click on interesting\good-looking covers. They don't care if the cover is hinting at the plot. Though I might be wrong about the second statement, the first one is more or less valid. A beautiful drawn woman on cover = more clicks.
Yeah, I gathered that much. On the other hand, I don't want them to be scanning through the first ten chapters, thinking, "I WAS PROMISED HOT CHICKS, WHERE ARE MY HOT CHICKS."

Thanks for the input.

SailusGebel

Yeah, I gathered that much. On the other hand, I don't want them to be scanning through the first ten chapters, thinking, "I WAS PROMISED HOT CHICKS, WHERE ARE MY HOT CHICKS."

Thanks for the input.
Yeah, that's when my second statement comes into play. Do an original cover that stands out, even if it doesn't hint at the plot. It will attract more clicks. But if you are adamant about choosing between the two options, do thematic cover.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
It really depends on the story imo. Does the story focuse heavenly on the characters or the plot?

Preferably I like to have the main MCs portrayed in a way that fits the story. So a mix of both. But that’s because I write romance/fantasy.

One of my stories has a MC with no fixed appearance. For such stories going thematic is better (or change the cover with every arc, but that’s because I can provide art myself).

Character covers are a bit tricky. If you don’t like the style then it could be more of a turnoff. I’m guilty of being superfluous and reject western/comic leaning covers. :blob_no:

Thematic is the safest, because people will concentrate on the title and synopsis.

From your synopsis I’d say both goes.