Crossover fanfics....

What is your opinion when it comes to crossover fanfics?

• A great way to see how characters from world A interact with characters from world B in world A/B.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I have my doubts on such fanfics being good, but I'll read one if I enjoy the story's premise.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I think that reading such a fanfic would be a waste of my time.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other( if you have another take, please share your opinion by replying to the thread. Thank you)

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

OP1000

What comes to mind when you see characters from two different fandoms interact with one another? Do these stories excite you, make you cringe or are you indifferent to these types of fanfics? I am just curious to see how the users of Scribblehub.com that read fanfics feel about crossover fanfics as a whole. Feel free to share why you feel the way you do about stories with these elements.

SailusGebel

My personal opinion, every fanfic is trash. But in general, readers on SH like fanfics, and it doesn't matter whether it's a crossover or not. The majority will read any kind of fanfic.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
by concept, I personally think it's actually good. mixing up two fandom with their respective characters and seeing how fans imagining how any of them interact with each other.

but when it actually being written, lots of author just throwing away bunch of fandom for just the heck of it, mixing up lots of lore without any of them complimenting each other, adding some unnecessary background, and everything just bundled together to the point that nothing resemblance the actual character anymore except their names.

in short : it's good in theory, but in practice lots of author turned it into garbage.

Keriahenta

I'd love it! If from a series that i don't like or series that i dont watch. I dont want these smut hub writers ruining my favorite characters.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
Crossover fanfic in paper sounds great, but it quickly become awful the moment author doesn't really fully understand the source they are using on.

LilRora

Mostly formless
If you're asking about crossover fanfics in general, then I'd be interested if the characters were from a story I like. But the reality is that I don't like any fanfics, bar some very rare exceptions, because their quality is simply awful. Even if their grammar, style, and pacing are good, which is somewhat rare, their plot is mostly childish, ridiculous, or cliche. Or all three.

I remember only one fanfiction I've read that got me hooked, and I don't have hopes of increasing that number.

...I mean, I do have hopes, but they will most likely remain only hopes for a long while.

OP1000

by concept, I personally think it's actually good. mixing up two fandom with their respective characters and seeing how fans imagining how any of them interact with each other.

but when it actually being written, lots of author just throwing away bunch of fandom for just the heck of it, mixing up lots of lore without any of them complimenting each other, adding some unnecessary background, and everything just bundled together to the point that nothing resemblance the actual character anymore except their names.

in short : it's good in theory, but in practice lots of author turned it into garbage.
Crossover fanfic in paper sounds great, but it quickly become awful the moment author doesn't really fully understand the source they are using on.
I agree, crossover fanfics that are well written are pretty rare.

DiscoDream

Severe autist
Bit of an annoyance. Alot of authors forget that people have morals and aren't just plot devices. So the characters get boiled down to just, "Wow, cool, [Blank]!". It's sorta understandable since Jap literature tends to be lacking in morals, and is used as the source material, but it feels insulting to see it done with more established franchises. Bleach & Naruto fanfic writers being the worst offenders. Making the world either ultra-clean, or just full of psychopaths out of a wuxia novel.

Aaqil

Cookies!
Like most things, I'll read it if it's good, :blob_cookie:
For a crossover, anything below good is too bad, :blob_cookie:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
The best! It's especially cool when you have similar characters from different worlds interacting and judging each other. In this example, i and 3 are both self-centered characters:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I think the major problem is:
1. The original creator is not involved, so, like all fan fic how close are you going to be?
2. Do you know BOTH IPs to do a cross over well?

I started doing a fanfic involving World of Reverse Morality. I AVOIDED the original character as much as was physically possible. We don't even MEET one until book 2. Even then, my version are different from the original in that, I have made assumptions. I assume that the ML and FL both dislike each other. I have made assumptions about motivations, but I have tried, SO HARD to at least work with what I was given.

THAT IS THE FUN PART.

And we are only talking, what? 32 'episodes' of Reverse morality? Yes, I delved into the previous version a bit, but only for background.

Now, to imagine doing Dragon Ball Z into Reverse Morality World, or... vice versa?

Batman in 40k Nostromos

Or the Nighthaunter 40k into Gotham.

Death Korp of Krieg invading My Little Pony. (Or Black Templars vrs Furries. Been done BTW)

See, some combos are a one off gag. Some would be an interesting combo. Nighthaunter vs Batman (Would have to be in gotham Batman would SO NEED the hometown advantage vrs the Nighthaunter.) But most... well... lets face fact, what sort of staying power does that have?

Most stories do not have ROOM for more than one MC. You add another MC from another IP, what you get? SOMEONE HAS TO BECOME THE ANTAGONIST. Or, you have to set it up where they were intended to come together.

My three stories are written to come together. I planned it. They are a prequel to when these guys come together. I have two other stories to write so they become a 5 man band. They are all written with different Genre, but have enough in common so the crossover will make sense. EVEN THEN, the final product will be a tad-bit anthology.

I like anthologies. I should post up my Tales from the trenches.

My point is, is sounds cool. Take awesome. Add another awesome. you should ave awesome squared right?

No.

Take a birthday cake and put it in a blender with savory beef stew. Is that awesome?

THAT IS WHAT MOST FANFIC IP CROSSOVERS ARE.

ACertainPassingUser

I hate when crossover fanfic author just fuck around the story and ruin all the builds up and the world building that the original author already put in place.

Especially if the author also fuck around the powerscaling. And many author don't get the characters right.

Someone once said that fanfic is like invading someone's house uninvited and then breaking and vandalizing the things inside the perfectly build interior with spray paint, and kicking out the house nstive inhabitants and replacing it with their own people.

I don't believe that's one hundred percent true, but crossover feels like the true explanation for that saying in my opinion.

Last edited: