Cultivation Novels’ Plot Arcs

NagatoSaitou

Hi all, I wanted to know what are the general plot arcs used in cultivation novels. For example, the auction arc. I was also curious if there were some rare plot arcs that are less used in this type of novels or maybe something you would want to see written as plot arc.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
typical arcs that I can remember
  • Sect disciple recruitment/selection/competition
  • mysterious land treasure expedition
  • schooling in a sect/institution period
  • training/advancement in seclusion
  • pill/tool refinery fillers
  • searching for materials/spiritual plants/tools/treasures
  • conflict/war between fractions (righteous cultivators, demonic cultivators/devils, demonic beast cultivators)
  • mc or one member of their harem group being abducted and have to be saved
  • going to a higher plane and doing the same/continuing what they have been doing
as for something new... would depend on the characters and general plot...

But it would be interesting, if the mc would be trapped in an illusion that resembles another universe (e.g. modern) and they can't use their cultivation... :blob_hmm:

TLCsDestiny

I tried to stay away from the obvious arcs in my cultivation novels but I still have the 'growing stronger' and 'training'. I also have the stupid family problems but I didn't make it the main point of focus.
I say do what you want, don't make it like everyone elses. Make your plot, make your characters and let them tell you how the story goes. You don't have to have an auction arc, you don't have to make them go to an academy. Do whatever you want!

tak

• Forgot the correct term, "deadly school exam" arc. Go into this infamously dangerous forest and go hunt beasts. You are also bein hunted by stronger beast and other student. Teacher may come to save you or not, depends on author mood
  • Qi deviation/inner demon of some character
  • Playing detective: there's mysterious death in this village/strange things happened in this academy
  • Meeting the legendary beasts
  • Double cultivation + aphrodisiac (time to lewd)
  • MC lost his backing (family killed, expelled from school, etc) and is being hunted by strong people for treasure/offending

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Dude, how about a villain cultivation arc. Where the villain knows cultivation.

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
- Trash MC finds/is given a rare gift arc in the form of a treasure/cultivation method/transmigration which will allow trash MC to become the greatest _____ in the world.
- Training arc where the MC blasts through levels faster than anyone in history only to reach a point where they decide that they need to stabilize their foundation usually kicking the crap out of their own family/clan.
- Family/clan tournament arc where the MC face slaps members of his family that hate him/his father/his elder
- MC joins a sect arc where the MC impresses a crowd and face slaps people who counted him out by posting unimaginable results during testing
- Sect elder tries to hinder the MC's growth by throwing stepping stone disciples at the MC because they only support their own disciple/genius.
- Secret realm arc where the MC and his current enemies have to fight over resources usually leading to the MC having explosive growth.
- The love interest is sent/taken to a higher level Sect causing the MC to have another surge in growth in order to catch up.
- Auction arc filler MC wins the auction through face slapping use of money taken from defeated opponents.
- Side profession arc filler such as alchemy, pill making, weapon crafting, poisoning, healing, etc.
- Rival sect arc usually arriving via huge flying beast or flying ship resulting in a tournament that ends with the MC crushing everyone with a healthy dose of face slapping.
- MC outgrows old sect and moves to larger sect arc which follows with all of the above being repeated again
- MC leaves the sect and travels the world arc which has the MC discovers various treasures following the secret realm arc model
- MC ties up loose ends arc which has the MC finally get the love interest, kill his biggest enemy and face slap to a happy ending