Disclaimers

Seihara

Hi, all.
I've noticed something a little peculiar and that is disclaimers as synapses or at least making up a good chunk of it, disclaimers as whole first chapters, and even more disclaimers at the start of a chapter. As a new site member should I be worried?

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Nah. You will be fine. People started putting them up so many times and at so many places because people kept reading without reading the tags, synapses, and all those fun things and leaving 1-star reviews when they were pikachu-faced of something they did not like. It is (I assume) for foolproofing.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Writers want to push boundaries.

Readers, in particular social-media-addicted squabblesquats, actively dislike, dogpile, smear campaign, gaslight, dox, swat, and inflict all sorts of hells upon people who "force" them to commit the horrific sin of broadening their horizons.

Some of us have very strong messages in our hearts about specific things, and some of those things are hot button and next-to-never talked properly. Some of them will actively scour your text, word by word, and look for some quintuple-indirect reference of one thing to another thing and declare you as an abomination upon humanity because how could you not account for LITERALLY EVERY DETAIL ON THE PLANET.

A lot of disclaimers (and I was extreeemely guilty back when I first joined because when I first joined, I had been attacked from the left and retreating to the right was right out. So I "learned" this damned quick) exist to essentially say "Hey you! I see you! Stop flaming! You'll only make yourself look stupid!" aka a check that says the writer thought of this and has considered the how and why before making their choice, and it nudges people to infer that maybe the writer isn't just being an ass.

.... Turns out I was the stupid one, for no one has attacked me yet. I leave them in place as a reminder of where I came from, and use my current postures to connote where I yet stand.

(Also most writers are readers and some readers are writers, so that delineation isn't as opaque as I let on :P)

Akaichi

I had to put a disclaimer on my novel. It was a harem. And people kept complaining, calling it a harem story..... it is a harem story!

Erys

Her Highness
I started putting disclaimers in my story after a pirate site bot copied it. The bot don't know which part is the disclaimer so when it copied the story chapters, it also copied the "Read only in Scribble Hub!"

Ssthat

Boo Tao Main
Hi, all.
I've noticed something a little peculiar and that is disclaimers as synapses or at least making up a good chunk of it, disclaimers as whole first chapters, and even more disclaimers at the start of a chapter. As a new site member should I be worried?
Not as long as you signed the waiver

EnoraTwilight

My brain have wrinkles
Hi, all.
I just took a stray somehow.

Seihara

I started putting disclaimers in my story after a pirate site bot copied it. The bot don't know which part is the disclaimer so when it copied the story chapters, it also copied the "Read only in Scribble Hub!"
That is a very good thing to add and sadly should not be necessary.

OP1000

I like reading disclaimers. The way I see it, they provide additional information on the type of story that readers may plan to read. The addition of a disclaimer in synopsis of a story can also help readers that may be hesitant on picking up a new story to solidify their decision on whether the new story that they plan to read is something that they would want to read in the future.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss

Ah, yes... the disclaimer. The Western answer to Light Novel Titles that spoil at least the whole first half of the story.