Do Grammar Problems Haunt You?

Unregistered

Be very careful about taking the advice of people trying to correct your grammar.
I agree. Reason why it's advisable to make sure to re-read what they think is incorrect. There's still a chance nothing needs to be re-done.
:blob_sir: but not in a sexual way, right?
How do I answer this question? :blob_hide:
Pro tip: use a text-to-speech (tts) program to read your final draft. Our eyes often trick us into seeing what we expect to see rather than what is actually there, and tts can help us pick up what we missed.
Leave it to Rakitan to only grace us with her comical signature (as always), but also provide an interesting tip! Have never tried this one. It seems convenient. :blobspearpeek:
When I started writing on RP forums and the like...
I agree to what you stated! I'm sure I speak for most of when I say we've experienced this as casual authors. :blob_no:

MajorKerina

I used to use text to speech to make extra sure that my writings didn’t have any glaring mistakes but the problem with that is you’re having a computer basically massacre your words with the worst inflection possible. I only recommend it for the bravest who still love the writing after the robot is done chewing it up. Lately, what I’ve focused on instead is using speech to text, even though programs tend to be sporadic on how accurate they are. I’ve written well over 1 million words just touching a screen’s virtual keyboard though.

If you want to do a work fast and dirty, I recommend first that you feel pretty confident in your ability to figure out mistakes. Do a draft readthrough with basic performance and think about the cohesion of everything you’ve laid out. Once you get to the end and you feel pretty happy with it, run the draft through a basic check to make sure you didn’t misspell anyone’s names. Then Grammarly and basically MS word. Set Grammarly to as casual as possible because it’s kind of a jerk. Try to recognize where Grammarly is being dumb and where it actually has a point. It will catch the vast majority of problems. Then MS word will basically fix up the rest of the grammar and the punctuation like commas. At this point you’re honestly like 90% there and actually listening to the text read will get you the extra 10% but the absolute time investment for that is absurd, so I instead just recommend putting it aside to write more stuff. This is my method and I mainly recommend it if you have a lot of experience at making sure stories read well. I make a ton of errors but I try to make sure the heart and expression of the story is front and center.

Unregistered

If you want to do a work fast and dirty...
All the advice written above is correct. It's quite important for authors and writers alike to be diligent in their craft. That requires multiple reads with keen observation to truly perfect things. All in all, you're not wrong, my dude!

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Readability is important. If you have a great story but no one can read it because it makes them want to vomit, then taking time to bring up writing proficiency is a necessary step.
Absolutely agree with this. Reading a lot as a hobby also helps, as you end up with exposure to a number of styles and examples of different approaches. This can help quite a bit with learning to spot and even avoid issues in your own writing.