Do you ever get one star ratings?

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
You have a story that hasn't gotten a lot of ratings or reviews, but your story is sitting at a five star rating. Then, one day, some pompous windbag thinks that your story is unreadable, and without a word, takes it down a star.

I'm venting of course. I also don't know how much people on the site care about the star ratings. But it pisses me off.

Why does someone do this? As a joke? Just for the heck of it? I can't imagine they read any of my story. Is there a reason why someone would be inclined to do this? This was my original work, not my fanfic. Do they just think my story idea sounds stupid? Have I been so callous on the forums as to piss someone off?

Again, I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I just think its stupid. But this just leaves open the possibility that more people like this can come along and take my decent stories down to being considered crap.

Has this happened to the rest of y'all? Is this a common thing?

EDIT:

Okay, so I after I found the suspected user on the forums, and sent the stern message "I hope you enjoy rating people's stories one star, mysteriously, I returned to the main site to find that the bad review had disappeared.... hmmm 🤔

Last edited:

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
You have a story that hasn't gotten a lot of ratings or reviews, but your story is sitting at a five star rating. Then, one day, some pompous windbag thinks that your story is unreadable, and without a word, takes it down a star.

I'm venting of course. I also don't know how much people on the site care about the star ratings. But it pisses me off.

Why does someone do this? As a joke? Just for the heck of it? I can't imagine they read any of my story. Is there a reason why someone would be inclined to do this? This was my original work, not my fanfic. Do they just think my story idea sounds stupid? Have I been so callous on the forums as to piss someone off?

Again, I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I just think its stupid. But this just leaves open the possibility that more people like this can come along and take my decent stories down to being considered crap.

Has this happened to the rest of y'all? Is this a common thing?
People who rate one stars without reading are trolls.... no one can stop them....

WasatchWind

People who rate one stars without reading are trolls.... no one can stop them....
I just don't really get why they do it though. I can't see how it would really be funny.

I'm just pissed because from my recent readers list, the most recent one was obviously the person that did it according to the times, and the pansy has disabled their profile. I can't block them or anything.

my entire stories just got rating bombed 1 star today for no reason.

since tony is offline and i'm not sure who can fix it, i just reported myself.

well, these indiscriminate abuse is why i prefer sites with no rating system like Ao3.

WasatchWind

my entire stories just got rating bombed 1 star today for no reason.

since tony is offline and i'm not sure who can fix it, i just reported myself.

well, these indiscriminate abuse is why i prefer sites with no rating system like Ao3.
How do you report them? I figured out I think who do it, but they disabled their profile on the main site. Can I report them for it through their forum profile?

How do you report them? I figured out I think who do it, but they disabled their profile on the main site. Can I report them for it through their forum profile?
probably report yourself and tell the mods to check. at least you know the username.

WasatchWind

probably report yourself and tell the mods to check. at least you know the username.
I updated my original post - it seems like the person withdrew their bad review and brought me back up to one star.

I updated my original post - it seems like the person withdrew their bad review and brought me back up to one star.
as for my part that 1 star review moved to another story. it went from 3.8 to 3.4. while the other from 3.9 to 4.1, one rating removed.

edit: it went back to 3.8

yeah, definitely troll.

edit2: now it's all back to the original rating, all hail the mods :DDDD

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
On fictions were their only selling point is gay shit, but with incest smut I give 5 stars instantly

Cant judge me

bullet12

edit2: now it's all back to the original rating, all hail the mods :DDDD
Why this place even has a rating system if someone can ask a friendly mod to only keep positive ratings? And you guys only vote 5-star for everything, destroying any relevancy for people trying to sort novels by rating. It's called circle jerking. As you vote 5-star for any garbage it's only natural for someone to try to counter your votes.