Do you fear death?

Yi_San

Like the title, I want to ask :
Do you fear death? How much do you fear? According to you, what is death? Do you wish immortality? Do you believe in afterlife?
Specific question: What would you feel when you see a dead body? Are you ready to accept death at any moment?

According to you, what is life? For what are we living? Any purpose there? Do you believe in gods, ghosts like that stuffs?

And the last... The question I often ask myself: If your belief is on a single life, how much should you cherish your every moment? What should you do?

#There will be no people who hadn't thought about death a few times. Because it is too mysterious, we just push it at the back of the mind and try to enjoy the present as we boldly say; 'face it face to face'. I understand people has different attitude towards everything.

These questions are to know about a bunch of different attitudes towards death...

When death comes...👻👻👻

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't fear death, but I know it's not my time yet. I have a baby and husband depending on me, not to mention I'd like to see my boyfriends again after my baby gets vaccinated.

I don't believe so much in an afterlife as I do in a union of souls. I believe I'll be reunited with all the people I hold dear in a way that is beyond what words can describe. It's like our energy would merge or something. This song comes to mind when I think of death. Eye has not seen because there is nothing to see. We won't have eyes anymore. We'll have something better:

Also, I remember my mom joking about the grammar of this song: I have not seen.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Yes.
Everyday with my life, I fear that my overindulgence in food will one day kill me. I fear that my vehicle will one day stall (it had happened before) in the middle of the road and get me pinata-ed by a long haul. I fear that one day I might not be able to take if and finally take the plunge down the eight storey building.

Yet paradoxically I want to die without me knowing. I want to die in my sleep.

Then comes the issue of me dying, what will happen next? Will my family suffer for my demise? How selfish am I to yield a painless death, do I even think I deserve such a luxury?

Blacklotus2004

I don't fear death, but I know it's not my time yet. I have a baby and husband depending on me, not to mention I'd like to see my boyfriends again after my baby gets vaccinated.

I don't believe so much in an afterlife as I do in a union of souls. I believe I'll be reunited with all the people I hold dear in a way that is beyond what words can describe. It's like our energy would merge or something. This song comes to mind when I think of death. Eye has not seen because there is nothing to see. We won't have eyes anymore. We'll have something better:

Why you only want one star?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I almost missed an opportunity to bring up my dead boyfriend. He was an atheist, and they talked about how our energy is borrowed at his funeral. That energy will go elsewhere and do other things. Stuff like that. The person who phrased it was very eloquent.
You reminded me of a very peculiar comic, but even if I found it, there's no way I could post it on SH
Oh, let me know if you do find it!

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Well, I've come to terms with the fact I'm gonna die one day, that's fine with me. But I still fear death since I'm not ready yet, would be a shame to die to truck-kun when I haven't published a book that has gotten some amount of following.

I'm not afraid of dying itself but dying uncontent. I don't know where I found it but there's a quote saying "It's not death that gives meaning to life, it's life that gives consolation to death." Or something like that.

Anyways, my beliefs are all messed up at this point, part of me believes that there's God out there and part of me optimistically believes in nihilism.

Personally, I wanna die thinking "I did a thing, and it was pretty cool."

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Oh, let me know if you do find it!
With what I remember I can't find it. + It was a short published in some obscure magazine, so perhaps it was never uploaded anywhere in the first place.

Four friends are on LSD.
One starts to have some insight, being able to see the strings of fate. But he finds that a few years down the line, they will have separated and each suffered from misfortune.

So he starts messing with the strings. By the end they're together forever, in the form of a fleshy pile of limbs.

Habtamu

Do you fear death? How much do you fear? According to you, what is death? Do you wish immortality? Do you believe in afterlife?
Specific question: What would you feel when you see a dead body? Are you ready to accept death at any moment?

According to you, what is life? For what are we living? Any purpose there? Do you believe in gods, ghosts like that stuffs?

And the last... The question I often ask myself: If your belief is on a single life, how much should you cherish your every moment? What should you do?

#There will be no people who hadn't thought about death a few times. Because it is too mysterious, we just push it at the back of the mind and try to enjoy the present as we boldly say; 'face it face to face'. I understand people has different attitude towards everything.

These questions are to know about a bunch of different attitudes towards death...
When death comes...👻👻👻
you are confusing real life with fiction, but no, i don't fear death. their are many worst things than death, we can't live forever anyways.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Despite it being a very popular word I don't know if people actually believe it. Isekai, yes. I actually DO believe that when we die, our soul gets reincarnated into another world. Without our memories, of course.

SailusGebel

When death comes...👻👻👻
1. Yes.
2. Less than other phobias.
3. Death is death, your body stops functioning, and you stop existing.
4. I wish for partial immortality.
5. No.
6. Depends on the condition of the said body.
7. No.
8. Life is a characteristic that distinguishes physical entities that have biological processes, such as signaling and self-sustaining processes, from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased (they have died) or because they never had such functions and are classified as inanimate.
9. For the same reasons other animals live.
10. No.
11. No.
12. Not much.
13. Whatever makes you happy.

Yi_San

1. Yes.
2. Less than other phobias.
3. Death is death, your body stops functioning, and you stop existing.
4. I wish for partial immortality.
5. No.
6. Depends on the condition of the said body.
7. No.
8. Life is a characteristic that distinguishes physical entities that have biological processes, such as signaling and self-sustaining processes, from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased (they have died) or because they never had such functions and are classified as inanimate.
9. For the same reasons other animals live.
10. No.
11. No.
12. Not much.
13. Whatever makes you happy.
Thanks🙏
It makes my work stand out 😇
So that's it. You indeed stand out now, with a lot of babies.
Yes.
Everyday with my life, I fear that my overindulgence in food will one day kill me. I fear that my vehicle will one day stall (it had happened before) in the middle of the road and get me pinata-ed by a long haul. I fear that one day I might not be able to take if and finally take the plunge down the eight storey building.

Yet paradoxically I want to die without me knowing. I want to die in my sleep.

Then comes the issue of me dying, what will happen next? Will my family suffer for my demise? How selfish am I to yield a painless death, do I even think I deserve such a luxury?
Obviously imparted (religious) believes couldn't contribute much to our (my) fear of death. It seems that, a way to die without letting anyone to suffer is practising solitude. But that is not possible nah.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

So many questions... oh well
Do you fear death? How much do you fear?
I don't fear it. It's natural. Truth be told, I long for it slightly.
According to you, what is death?
The end of life, what else could it be?
Do you believe in afterlife
No. The idea of an afterlife, as appealing as it may seem to most, seems very arbitrary. It's like believing that future people will solve all our current problems because you believe in human resourcefulness. But worse
Do you wish immortality?
Yes. I can't fathom infinity as a mere human mortal worm, but I with infinite time to spare, I imagine nothing would be impossible.
What would you feel when you see a dead body?
I've been to few funerals in my life. The solemn atmosphere aside, dead bodies are just that. They are cold and gross to touch though, so I would prefer to not see them often. Or at all.
Are you ready to accept death at any moment?
Most of the time.
what is life?
That is a long but simple answer for me. Long story short - a complex dynamic sysstem that is the result of natural evolution
For what are we living? Any purpose there? Do you believe in gods, ghosts like that stuffs?
Again, I consider life to be nothing more or less than the result of evolution. We just are. Evolution will not, cannot, give a hoot about how we live our lives or what we do. Even on a global scale, we (living things) just are and no greater thing with sentience exists that will be bothered if we live or not.
If your belief is on a single life, how much should you cherish your every moment? What should you do?
It's a very slippery slope to expect yourself to feel something about this. Life is not a transaction and not a game. You shouldn't force it to be. Just take things as they are, cherish some moments and don't cherish others and don't worry your head over the small things.

Yi_San

So many questions... oh well

I don't fear it. It's natural. Truth be told, I long for it slightly.

The end of life, what else could it be?

No. The idea of an afterlife, as appealing as it may seem to most, seems very arbitrary. It's like believing that future people will solve all our current problems because you believe in human resourcefulness. But worse

Yes. I can't fathom infinity as a mere human mortal worm, but I with infinite time to spare, I imagine nothing would be impossible.

I've been to few funerals in my life. The solemn atmosphere aside, dead bodies are just that. They are cold and gross to touch though, so I would prefer to not see them often. Or at all.

Most of the time.

That is a long but simple answer for me. Long story short - a complex dynamic sysstem that is the result of natural evolution

Again, I consider life to be nothing more or less than the result of evolution. We just are. Evolution will not, cannot, give a hoot about how we live our lives or what we do. Even on a global scale, we (living things) just are and no greater thing with sentience exists that will be bothered if we live or not.

It's a very slippery slope to expect yourself to feel something about this. Life is not a transaction and not a game. You shouldn't force it to be. Just take things as they are, cherish some moments and don't cherish others and don't worry your head over the small things.
Thank you so much for your answer🙏

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide

When death comes...👻👻👻
I don't know if I fear death, but neither do I welcome it. I'm not afraid of dying in particular, I think. I do have a strong desire to live, I view life as a gift whatever pain or pleasures come. I want to stretch it out as long as I can. So, if you ask if I would go quietly into the night, my answer is no. Not yet. But death itself isn't something I fear for itself.

I view death as a commonality, an inevitability first and foremost. It's useless to fear what is going to happen. But I understand what everyone fears about death, to some degree, is the aspect of the unknown. Is there a Heaven? Hell? Reincarnation? Will I be judged or receive paradise?
As for my view... you can say I believe in a Heaven and Hell, but I don't really worry about judgement. The parameters of judgement are at best a vague understanding. It's not something I myself can understand with absolute surety. I live the best that I can according to the integrity I have developed, based on my experiences and understanding of the world at large. That is all I can do.

I throw all worry about how I will be judged beyond that, out of the window. I'm not afraid of hell. If I end up there, so be it. I don't believe it is a good way to live; believing in something because you are afraid of the consequences of not believing in that thing. That leads to a life of cowering whether you realize it or not. If you believe in something out of some deep fear, it's probably not really worth believing in.

*To make this clearer, yes, I believe in the supernatural, but I accept the unknown nature of things, so my beliefs are sort of nebulous in a lot of ways. I accept that I don't know.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Can I simp for death instead? I kinda subscribe to her so I can't deny that I fear it anymore.

Auratic

This might take long but here's my opinion that leads up to my strange answer.
“The cosmos is within us... ...The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.” - Author, Astronomer, Astrophysicist, Carl Sagan

The lightest of gases, were produced in the big bang. The chemical elements up to iron - carbon, oxygen, neon, silicon and iron - are produced in ordinary stellar neucleosynthesis (Created by stellar fusion inside cores of stars under immense pressure and temperatures). Anything heavier than Iron (i.e Gold, Titanium etc.) are only created by death of stellar mass stars that shoot out massive quantities of elements light years across the space. All of these elements, however miniscule, has role to play in function of the human body.
Why do we live? Humans are, what I believe, are the product of universe itself, trying to make sense of itself. Therefore just trying to make sense of what's around you, even if its something as innocuous or simple as understanding 1+1=2, is enough of a purpose.

Another way to look at it is that we're born purposeless, without a direction and discover our own purpose. In an objective sense, the purpose of life is to create more life.
Go to school, get a degree, get a job, find love, have kids and help them succeed in life, retire and eventually pass away. That's the norm that most people expect. Some of us abhor this prosaic formula like we were destined for something greater, others find purpose and direction from this and do not mind following the script to a tee, yet there are some that dream to achieve this 'bland' life. Whichever of these broad categories you fall into, the thing is, according to evolution and life itself, as long as you passed on your genes, (your children) technically, you've already won the game of life. Everything after that is just gravy. For humans, evolution decided that after we grow old, we can still help our children, which in turned helped them succeed and pass on their genes hence our comparatively lengthy lifespan, to life its just more winning.
But you can find your own purpose, even if its stupid as becoming the king of intergalactic house of pancakes. No one's stopping you.

People imagine death as eternal darkness or unending agony after or during the process of dying but that is not something you can experience. If you were dead, you wouldn't know what the concept of feeling something even is. Death in many ways are similar to falling asleep or being put under by a medication during surgery, you have no awareness that surgeons just opened up your chest cavity and swapped out your heart. Just like that you'll have no idea that you're even dead. In death, instead of tiredness or morphine its something in your body failing be it heart, the brain or some other vital organ that's needed that puts you to your eternal rest. In that sense unless you fear going to sleep, both you and I do not fear death, we fear the idea of never waking up again. An end to our journey, losing our consciousness, our being forever. But because you know you'll wake up in the morning you may not have an existential dread trying to sleep. The same can not be said for sure for death, and maybe that is where the fear and anxiety of death comes from. We don't know for sure if there's something more for us after death.

Reincarnation is a huge part of Buddhism and Hinduism among other religions. In those belief, the idea of ascending after death into higher godlike entity or falling into lower being exists, often with extremely little or no recollection of your past life. Despite that, depending on the interpretation, the goal of human life is to escape the cycle of life and death itself, not become god, even though you have the choice. The goal is to become one with the cosmos or the universe itself. Basically, you can't die and suffer if you haven't lived in the first place, a very unga bunga simplification that glosses over a lot of their teachings.
Though I believe those beliefs are not without their merits. After death, your body shuts down and gets broken down by bacteria to its constituent elements and become nourishment for the earth. From that earth may bloom flowers, grass or a tree. Some livestock may come and take nibble of those plants, going up the food chain, let's say that a cow ate grass, who gets slaughtered and its meat consumed by a soon to be a mother and the nutrients found their way into feeding the growing fetus. From that process in which part do you think you will live on? Hopefully the fetus since you might have a chance to live again, isn't that great? But most likely you are part of everything that led up to the fetus. You are the earth, the grass, the cattle, the mother and the child all at once. Now at this point I don't think you would want to be conscious. I don't think it will be a very good to feel that you have been broken down into decillions of little pieces all being part of some other organism. But it is an afterlife of sorts.

I think I would very much so like unaging body rather than an immortal one.
“The end of biological aging would not mean the end of death in any way. It’s more like a Summer evening when you were a kid, and your mom called you inside. You just wanted to keep playing, have a little more fun during sunset before you went to sleep. It’s not about playing forever, just a little longer, until we feel tired.” - Kurzgesagt Why age?
I believe humanity could have achieved a heck of a lot more if people lived longer, or maybe not that is an alternative reality. But imagine where we would be scientifically and technologically if great scientists, inventors and engineers of past were alive today. Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Galileo Galilei. Would the stress and pressure of life still be the same if we consistently lived up to the age of 200? Would we still retire at around our 50s and 60s then? Would we stop learning? What would our education system be? Highschools that takes 10 years to graduate?

Given a simple choice of Living for ten additional years or dying then and there, I think we would all pick living multiple times over. We will all find something to want for, a slightly better home, a nicer looking car, a first place in some competitive game's leaderboard, finishing up our a gacha game's characters collection. And for that, we would have to work for, and to do that, you need to be alive and have time to spend, like that ten years I mentioned. After that why not something grander? Why not save up and try to own a habitable planet just for yourself? Wanna see what's beyond the ever expanding observable universe, go for it. Commission a ring world project even if it's ridiculously costly and stupidly unfeasible? You have plenty of time to figure it out and get it done.

It's just like what the game Little Inferno told its players that played it to its end.
"But what happens when you have achieved your dreams? Well, then it's time to get bigger dreams."
Why would you want to die? When there's so much you could do, and then some in life.
But you might say that's too optimistic, nothing you'll do will matter and everyone will forget about you. That's nihilism speaking. But nothing says you can't be an optimistic nihilist.

"Entropy, the steady decline into disorder that’s a fundamental part of the universe… …entropy will get us all in the end.
The White Cliffs of Dover are a symbol of Britain, they are this imposing barrier, but they’re just chalk. Time and tide will wash them away, a long time in the future. This, too, shall pass. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t build things anyway. Just because something is going to break in the end, doesn’t mean that it can’t have an effect that lasts into the future. The world can be better because of what you built in the past... ...So until then: try and make sure the things you’re working on push us in the right direction. They don’t have to be big projects, they might just have an audience of one. And even if they don’t last: try to make sure they leave something positive behind." - Tom Scott (This Video Has 50,717,485 Views)
Not everything we will leave behind will be of material nature. Others will be more intangible, like our beliefs and stupid messages we left behind the dms of some discord server. Sure, what you do may not have any meaning to anyone now, or later, but it might do something long long after you're gone, you'll never know, as if you'll be there tell anyway, right? Right?

Last edited: