Do you finish your novels, then post each chapters weekly? Or do you immediately post whenever you finish a chapter?

Cedestroyer

I'm having trouble on whether to continue writing my novels on a weekly basis (which seems to be bad enough for some people as they prefer daily updates) and just finish it on my spare time. Are there actually some authors here who post daily? Any advice?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Work it however works best for you. There are advantages to finishing the entire thing first and then going back to edit and smooth out inconsistencies, but then again you miss out on feedback as you go along.

Personally, I write it by hand in paper notebooks first. Then I let it sit for a while, type it while editing, let it sit for another month, harass my husband to read it and give me his feedback, do more editing the week before I want to release it, and then post it. I'm releasing a new chapter every 8 days because I have a lot going on in real life.

Ace_Arriande

It depends on how long your chapters are.

1k - 1.5k word chapters? Daily releases are best.
3k - 15k word chapters? Weekly releases are perfectly fine.
15k+ word chapters? Heck, you can get away with monthly releases at this point.

What I do is write the first 30 or so chapters to be around 1k words each, and then I release those daily for the first month. Then I swap to one weekly chapter that's generally either around 3k or 5k words each. If you do decide to post daily, just take it easy on yourself and remember that short chapters are perfectly alright. Don't try to do long chapters that are also daily releases. As for other people's preferences, they really don't care most of the time so long as your chapters are worth whatever the wait is. If you try to do weekly 1k-word chapters, for example, that's going to disappoint people, but weekly 5k-word chapters won't.

Jemini

This also depends on your writing skill starting off as well as what your long term goals are. In my case, my rough draft is better than a lot of other writers' second drafts, and I have been told my material is way better than the standard of a lot of these webnovel sites. Having this level of polish in your writing allows you to simply post what you've got as you write it.

Then there's also whether your plan is to just write for a little fun, be a career webnovelist living off patreon/subscribe star donations, or getting yourself published. If you wanna get published, well, getting your material out as you finish it has the real benefit since you get reader feedback as you're going. If your goal is to be a career webnovelist, you are going to want to edit your chapters before posting them wherever you can. If it's just for fun, well, no rules. Do whatever you like.

Kldran

For the sake of maintaining somewhat regular updates, I've been keeping a buffer of scheduled updates. The number of updates each week depends on how quickly I've been writing. I do this in large part because sometimes I'll write 5 chapters in 4 days, and sometimes I'll go two weeks and get only one written. I don't want my updates to be as erratic as my writing pace is, so I keep a buffer of 2-4 weeks.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I suggest you save a good nice stock of chapters first. It also depends on your goal. If you want it as a hobby and build some audience at a slow pace, you could do the weekly thing with around 1k-2k words.

However, if your target is to get quite a few bucks. Aside from quality, I say to follow Ace's advice. Also, do stock up lest you run dry in the long run. Let's say saved at least 20 or more chapters then make a Patreon. If the quality of your story is good, people will flock soon enough.

What I do is write the first 30 or so chapters to be around 1k words each, and then I release those daily for the first month. Then I swap to one weekly chapter that's generally either around 3k or 5k words each. If you do decide to post daily, just take it easy on yourself and remember that short chapters are perfectly alright. Don't try to do long chapters that are also daily releases. As for other people's preferences, they really don't care most of the time so long as your chapters are worth whatever the wait is. If you try to do weekly 1k-word chapters, for example, that's going to disappoint people, but weekly 5k-word chapters won't.
Also, set a reasonable goal for yourself. Don't' set an impossible goal. Well, only you know yourself. If you could write every day, I mean why not. With enough grit, I guess it will turn fine. Hope this helps.:blob_wink:

Xenoglossia

I have work so I only get to update my story when I have free time. Lately though, I get to publish 1 chapter per week - each no less than 6K words. This all just largely depends on whether or not the creative juices are flowing. Trying to update on a daily basis seems like a struggle, and you might put the quality of your work at risk. It usually takes me a full day to edit and proofread a chapter, and then I re-read it several times before actually publishing it.

ForestDweller

I'm having trouble on whether to continue writing my novels on a weekly basis (which seems to be bad enough for some people as they prefer daily updates) and just finish it on my spare time. Are there actually some authors here who post daily? Any advice?

I post every two or three days and honestly, it just depends on how hyped I am to write a certain part of the story, and how busy I am with real life.

Ha, I can get away with weekly then. :s_tongue:

Cedestroyer

I have no idea why I am currently writing 3 novels simultaneously and have art at that lool. I should just relax myself because im just doing it for the hobby. Thanks (✿◠‿◠)

Halversen

For me, I think you should plan it out first. Think of the best future scenarios for your story.

I posts my chapters by daily, due to the fact that I've already planned it out. Aand that I'm bored.

In the end, it all comes to your imaginative thinking and determination to write your story.

For me tho, I just write for fun and cause the quarantine is killing me the fuck bored. -_-

Halversen

For me, I think you should plan it out first. Think of the best future scenarios for your story.

I posts my chapters by daily, due to the fact that I've already planned it out. Aand that I'm bored.

In the end, it all comes to your imaginative thinking and determination to write your story.

For me tho, I just write for fun and cause the quarantine is killing me the fuck bored. -_-

Lol that rhymes tho.

idaeasthesia

Something you could do is bank on chapters before publishing them, kind of like YouTubers recording videos in bulk and publishing them only days later.

This would require quite some planning beforehand, and its best you have the chapters saved up BEFORE you publish the stories. That should ensure even if something happens, you would still have some gap time before your publish schedule catches up to you.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I just want to say that, as a reader I hate daily updates. Nothing important happens and they tend to have a lot of mistakes.

So I as an author update weekly. Because it's my first story I update as soon as I finish, on Saturday, to receive feedback instead of waiting some days to edit it as best as I can.
And I'm doing quite well.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
as much as @Ace_Arriande would recommend, if you're working on anything above 7k, i'd advise you to switch to a monthly release, and only do weekly when you're hitting as much as 5k max per chapter. i should also warn you beforehand that i don't take my reader interest into consideration. i'd rather attract them with the quality of my story alone than to lure them with a quick fix of an update.

anyway, if you're working anywhere above the mentioned threshold i advise switching to a monthly release. it may seem bad but for hobbyist writers like us, it's actually really fucken helpful. it actually relieves the stress of having to come up with interesting set pieces and plot on a weekly basis and gives you more time to smoothen out the rough edges. i'm sort of an OCD for plotholes so i usually set myself a week or two to go through my chapter frame so i wouldn't post something i regret later on. it'll not only give your chapters the extra fix and shine but also avoid having your mind totally transfixed on releasing the chapters and forgetting to deal with real life. trust me, it happened to me on multiple times to the point where it actually became a serious problem.

bottom line is, have as long of an interval as you can possibly need between chapters. it'll not only help with the story but also your hobby in general.

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
I think its better to post it at consistent times. If something happens, having a pattern for when you post it would let you just shift your schedule to make up for it. If you post it as soon as you finish, I'd assume there wouldn't be any backup chapters for emergencies.

*Casually releases a 1k chapter once a week*

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
What I'm currently doing is to write out a stock of chapters first, and then release a part of it once my novel goes live. Then I'll be updating 3x per week while always keeping a buffer of chapters written ahead in case anything goes wrong and I get a sick week or a simply unproductive week and stuff.

I won't write the whole thing out in one go, as I don't have enough motivation to keep going with no readers at all, but publishing it and seeing the stats raise helps set me in the mood to keep delivering~