Do you guys still cringe at your own older works when reading back at it?

CZ2

I do at my own, a lot. Even with the story that I started writing months ago, I revisited a chapter and had a panic attack on an unprecedented scale.

Even with almost 3 years of writing experience, even month old works will get to me.

What about you?

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Of course. It means that you grew as an author. That's why good authors have so many edits before releasing their final product. I'm currently reading and editing through my stuff from 3 years ago and I have to say that it needs a lot of work.

SailusGebel

patbateman123x

its funny because sometimes you read stuff other people write , specific sentences ,like some phrases that have the chunni vibe going on like "dragontamer97 power attack" and you are like "oh thats cringe" , then u read your own stuff from way back when , then you shake your head in shame like "Cant believe i called that guy cringe . I am the same .Talk about being a hyprocrite" .

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I do at my own, a lot. Even with the story that I started writing months ago, I revisited a chapter and had a panic attack on an unprecedented scale.

Even with almost 3 years of writing experience, even month old works will get to me.

What about you?
Yes.
E44088CF-A12C-4442-8716-DA5A9E7D6E93.png

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Strange thing is I kinda like my old works for how simple they were. They kinda remind me of the games that I played during that time. Classic "boy meets girl. Girl has McGuffin. Bad guys want girl for it" kind of story.

I kinda miss those simple stories and I somehow unlearned to write them xD

patbateman123x

Strange thing is I kinda like my old works for how simple they were. They kinda remind me of the games that I played during that time. Classic "boy meets girl. Girl has McGuffin. Bad guys want girl for it" kind of story.

kinda reminds me of the romcom sex comedies from the 90s and 80s . The good old American Pie , Risky Business , Cruel Intentions and Fast Times at Ridgemont high days .Shit so bad , they are good .Although Risky Business is still a masterpiece

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
Not even a little, if I check it out, it's because I want a laugh.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Depends how old the story is. If it's from when I was beginning writing, I usually cringe half the time and berate myself the other. If it's bit younger, then I sometimes cringe, sometimes berate myself, but mostly just reminisce about the past long gone. On more serious note, yes, I do cringe very much, but no less than I marvel at the simplicity and happiness I got from writing those little things I didn't even publish anywhere.

One exception to that would be the stories I started recently, but never published them, because when I look at them, I see the tons of things I could improve and I will improve if I have time and motivation. Like that one story I started two months ago, wrote three chapters, and just now started rewriting cause I saw so many mistakes to fix it was faster and easier to start from scratch.

I'm often the same. That's the charm of naivety and inexperience. Everything is so much simplier and prettier when you're still ignorant.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't have time to read my old stuff, so I don't cringe.

Sairren

Considering what my novel started as, I very much do. But I do take some pride in that project, and am glad I did it. It was full on in-jokes and references, but it was that bit of fun that led me to want to rewrite all of it as a much better story.

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Well I do, especially the dialogue parts.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…

What about you?
Yes, I do, and it happens almost every time I read back my work. Mostly because I find mistakes and/or awkward wording every where. Then I spend more time editing it than I did writing. Even then, sometimes, when I look back at the edited version, after maybe an hour or so, I cringe once more before re-editing it………….

LinMeili

Nope. I already burned / deleted all my cringey stuff.:ROFLMAO:

WeissBlatt

I am become hiatus
I cringe while writing, but I tell myself that I will fix it in the editing phase. Let's just say Future!Me is in for a surprise.