Do you have an inner voice?

Do you have an inner voice?

• Total voters

morhamza

I just found out something really interesting. Not everyone has an inner voice. I do, I always have and thought everyone else did too, but apparently I was wrong.

There are varying degrees, and it sometimes goes beyond simply having an inner voice. Some people can't form mental images too. Some have an inner voice, but it is limited and cannot be used without serious focus. Others have more than one voice, while others can mimic the voice of others from memory.

For me, it helps with writing, as I recite in my head as I read and write, and that helps with image formation. The conversations between characters take place in my head, and they all have different voices, so that helps with dialogue. That one down side is it can get too loud if I stay in my head long enough and I get headaches.

What about you? On which side do you fall and how does that help or handicap you?

SailusGebel

It would probably be better if you define what an inner voice is for you.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
My inner voice is actor Steve Buscemi slinging racial slurs at every inconvenience. If I make some toast and the middle part isn't as hard as the crust he'd cuss out the entirety of Africa for no reason. Last month, every Caucasian was on sight.

Lately, he's been on the more eastern side of things. Imagine him role-playing as an American G.I. in the height of the Vietnam war. That'll be what he sounds like.

To be more specific, he'd sound like a mix between his role in Reservoir Dogs and Hotel Transylvania. Part professional and part plain fucking tired of life.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
My inner voice is keemstar yelling the N word over and over. I have learned to tune it out, but sometimes i unconsciously drop N-bombs and mouth it randomly. I have been able to get through it by saying i have tourettes syndrome despite no formal diagnosis.

Fastus

I just found out something really interesting. Not everyone has an inner voice. I do, I always have and thought everyone else did too, but apparently I was wrong.

There are varying degrees, and it sometimes goes beyond simply having an inner voice. Some people can't form mental images too. Some have an inner voice, but it is limited and cannot be used without serious focus. Others have more than one voice, while others can mimic the voice of others from memory.

For me, it helps with writing, as I recite in my head as I read and write, and that helps with image formation. The conversations between characters take place in my head, and they all have different voices, so that helps with dialogue. That one down side is it can get too loud if I stay in my head long enough and I get headaches.

What about you? On which side do you fall and how does that help or handicap you?
How do you even think if you can't talk in your head or form mental images? Are you sure that's possible?

DurinTorde

For me its mostly myself that talks with me, but theres times when i relive a situation in my mind while going with different approaches to that coversation.
It could be destructive, for example i want to hit on a girl, but my inner voice just shuts down anything that is considered small talk as an option for conversation; it makes convos hard to happen alot of the time

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Yeah people always get confused with this concept.

They read things like your post and go, " those are your thoughts, dumbass. " which isnt wrong but not right.

And people never explain it very well, either. Now if you said, "there is a particular type of voice your thoughts take the sound of inside your own mind" then it's easier to understand. Everyone understand now? Good.

Anyway yeah, my inner voice is not the same as my actual voice, for example. My thoughts have a voice that is smoother and more level. Pleasant, even. It doesnt tire, it doesnt need to take a breath. Its flowing and constant.

And I can change this voice to anyone else's I know. I can read things in the voice of Morgan Freeman or Tom Hiddleston, for instance. Not everyone can do that. It's harder, because you have to consciously make that change and keep it up. But yes. This is possible. I feel most people just dont try to change their inner voice's sound, so they lack the skill

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
My inner voice is now that of a Loli because of my voice acting training. It's worth it though cause I can make an entire audio-version of a chapter of my book without dying of cringe lmao. Though I'm still too lazy to make one.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad

Actually, I always think that was the normal before you bring this up.

for me, i can change the so called inner voice to any kind of voices that i want.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
There are multiple voices in my head which is really hard to think but I am able to be sane enough to not hinder my daily life.

The most I talk to is a young girl whose quite angelic looking, giving a short black hair with glasses and gives a smile which might give any man a chance to be married to her, however, she has a tongue which is not only sharp but also is strong enough to roast someone till cooked.

Most of the talks is about her being angry that I mostly avoid writing BL novels and even though she helped me teach how to honeytrap boys, she gets furious that I don't like shipping two guys together. Especially her fasination to My hero Academia about IzukuXKatsuki.

Jesus Christ woman, why did you haunt my mind when you can just borrow any girl you want, why did you bother me instead?! At least give straight romance a try and not that NTR Vore type of fetish that make Scat look like Vanilla.

Derin_Edala

Yes and it WON'T SHUT UP.

I'm aphantasiac and very alexithymic, meaning 90% of the time, the only thoughts of mine that I know about are what my inner voice is saying. If it's not saying it, there's a good chance I don't even know I'm processing or experiencing it.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
I have trouble imagining what it's like not to have a voice. To me it's synonymous with not thinking at all. Like, when I try to imagine the way an animal thinks, that's sort of what I imagine, just emotions and no words. I found out not everybody gets a voice just the other day, and I still don't really understand it. Like, how do you read? How do you review speeches or your lines in a play? Do songs not get stuck in your head? How do you remember passwords or equations?

Am I supposed to believe that someone can just... talk, and actually say something that isn't gibberish, without hearing it in their own head first? Too mysterious, I want an easier question, please.

dvelasquez

I'm not sure what you are saying here. CAN PEOPLE EVEN LIVE WITHOUT AN INNER VOICE!? I mean, I can't be more than a couple of seconds with that thing talking, the only way to calm it is to listen to music, and even then, it just starts singing... Also, the bastard likes to switch from Spanish to English, and then again to Spanish impredictably, sometimes the bastard forms phrases in both languages.

morhamza

It would probably be better if you define what an inner voice is for you.
I thought I did. The voice in your head your thoughts take.
How do you even think if you can't talk in your head or form mental images? Are you sure that's possible?
Some people actually can't form mental images. As for lacking an inner voice, you know when you're pissed at something and launch into a tirade in your head? A particular trait of people that lack an inner voice is that they voice their thoughts out loud. You probably know some, but you assume they just talk without a filter. Lol. It is a thing, and according to some stats, people with an inner voice are actually the minority (there are degrees to it though, so I don't know how they separated those with and without this trait).
I'm not sure what you are saying here. CAN PEOPLE EVEN LIVE WITHOUT AN INNER VOICE!? I mean, I can't be more than a couple of seconds with that thing talking, the only way to calm it is to listen to music, and even then, it just starts singing... Also, the bastard likes to switch from Spanish to English, and then again to Spanish impredictably, sometimes the bastard forms phrases in both languages.
Does it not get chatty at night? Mine suddenly has a lot to say just when I start to get sleepy.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uh, I have it, but uh it differs greatly from how I act and am, I guess. It's unfiltered and not sugar-coated.

Sounds like your inner voice is well trained. Mine skips words and places them where they aren't. I need to train that crap fast!

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Some people actually can't form mental images. As for lacking an inner voice, you know when you're pissed at something and launch into a tirade in your head? A particular trait of people that lack an inner voice is that they voice their thoughts out loud. You probably know some, but you assume they just talk without a filter. Lol. It is a thing, and according to some stats, people with an inner voice are actually the minority (there are degrees to it though, so I don't know how they separated those with and without this trait).

Does it not get chatty at night? Mine suddenly has a lot to say just when I start to get sleepy.
I can look back at stuff I read as if i was remembering watching a film or something that actually happen, I once believed I had two birth certificates under different last names and I had shown some one for proof but apparently My memory made that all up even tho it was such a vivid memory.

SailusGebel

I don't know, it's probably a language barrier making me unable to understand what you mean. Cause the things discussed here sounds more like a mental health issue. Inner voice=thinking? Or not?

Fastus

I don't know, it's probably a language barrier making me unable to understand what you mean. Cause the things discussed here sounds more like a mental health issue. Inner voice=thinking? Or not?
I think that that was the meaning. Though yes, some seem crazy. I mean, I either 'think' with my 'inner voice', or am busy remembering or doing things.