Do you have the feeling that you used a lot of "but" in your chapter?

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
I checked my chapter every time I finish and I got 10+ "but" in a 3k-words chapter. It feels clunky having to repeat one word this many times. Do you guys have any solution for it? I tried some synonym and expression, but most of them are not interchangeable with "but".

yurinium

I usually read the paragraph out loud in order to make sense out of it. That way you can realise whether you have said some words a bit too much.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
yep, reading out loud is excellent way to catch those little run-ons. But I don't do it a lot, however, but I used to, but then I learned how not to.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
My grammar checker changes a lot of my "but's" into something else, but at least five of them survive the purge. :sweating_profusely:

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Use However, nonetheless, otherwise, on the other side, that aside... There are a lot of synonyms.

Most of the "But" can be replaced with "Yet," and "Still," try them in a sentence and see if they fit. Anyway, thus, hence, for So... Like that.

ill add although, with exception, rather, instead

Those are very situational for me. Many times, they couldn't replace "but" without changing the intention or the knowledge of the characters in the situation.

I usually read the paragraph out loud in order to make sense out of it. That way you can realise whether you have said some words a bit too much.

yep, reading out loud is excellent way to catch those little run-ons. But I don't do it a lot, however, but I used to, but then I learned how not to.

For me, I use the search function of Word. It gave me a good count.

My grammar checker changes a lot of my "but's" into something else, but at least five of them survive the purge. :sweating_profusely:
My attempt helped to keep them at 2-4 per 3k. Still more than I would like it. Especially when I read other people's chapter and they didn't even have "But" except in dialogue.

droopyauthor

Those are very situational for me. Many times, they couldn't replace "but" without changing the intention or the knowledge of the characters in the situation.

For me, I use the search function of Word. It gave me a good count.

My attempt helped to keep them at 2-4 per 3k. Still more than I would like it. Especially when I read other people's chapter and they didn't even have "But" except in dialogue.
This is an obsession. Removing But, That, So, and such words. I don't know if you've read famous books. If you were to go through them, you will find they haven't been overly concerned with these conjunctions. When and where But is necessary, one must use it. We must not forget the audience, too. A lot of Buts stand out, not a few. For webnovel readers, plot comes first, then grammar. Good writing style can take care of many shortcomings.

Amok

grblbrbl
I definitely use 'yet' more than and instead of 'but' and it basically serves the same purpose. the others, yeah, less utilitarian.