Do you like the process of writing?

Process?

• Total voters

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
All the "A.I. talk" and also the fact that I have filled up another notebook with short stories got me thinking.

Personally, writing is not my day job, and I also don't feel any need to share what I write, nor need any validation that I write. (probably because I don't think of myself as an author.)

I just like writing.

I like putting sentences together, learning new words, new ways of saying things and making up funny ways of starting a sentence and ending weirdly. :blobrofl:

So I just filled up with another note book and I looked at my bookshelf full of just pages of notes and shortstories, I wonder if it time to just bin it all, cause I am running out of room. But I do like reading what I have written...

Then I thought about maybe I'd scan it... Gdirve? and remember the stories I made with A.I. when I was testing it.. and I remember... I edited... but I didn't really write it... :blob_hmm_two::blob_hmm_two::blob_hmm_two::blob_hmm_two:

Made me realise I lost a lot of enjoyment I got out of making stories.

Since I am a person that didn't need to make a product, but just like creating.

I wonder...

Are there people that just want to make a product but just don't like writing itself?

Do you like the process of writing?

P.S. Conversely, I don't like driving my car, but I do like getting to places conveniently.

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter
It mostly depends on the novel I'm writing.
My last three novels was put on hiatus because I somehow hate writing it.
But the novel I am writing right now is something I have to get out of my system, and it is something I enjoy expressing it in words.

P.S.
I know my writing is shit but it is something I have to get out of my stomach. And there is a great satisfaction and relief right after you got that shit out of your butthole lol

Getterkuma

I love the process of writing. Finding a clever turn of phrase or creating a beautiful image just with words is what I live for. The whole AI thing doesn't spooks me just because my day job is writing, but also because it will kill some of the things I like the most discovering from different authors' styles.

KrakenRiderEmma

I like some aspects of writing and I hate other parts, which is probably why I got into using AI.

I really like plotting and planning stories if I can brainstorm with other people (most of my professional writing has worked this way, in writer’s rooms or co-authoring). If I have to do it myself, there are too many possibilities and I need to construct some sort of game to narrow it down. Some AI systems basically work like that.

I really hate doing first drafts because you always get to some section that’s hard to push through and doesn’t flow naturally from your brain, and if that gets really bad it leads to writer’s block, and unlike people who can actually finish long solo writing, I simply have never learned to recover from that. AI can be incredibly useful for overcoming writer’s block, although some methods can create problems you have to deal with later on.

I like fixing plot problems or “how do we get from A to B, given C” challenges with character motivations and knowledge and all that. There’s always some kind of plot structure, dramatic device or trope that can be sagaciously deployed. I despise “blank page, what should even go here” problems. And I like editing, or at least I don’t hate it. Revising is way easier, if you like the story—and it’s easier for me to like a story, psychologically, if I feel like it’s not 100% mine / reflective or revealing of my thoughts, etc. Thanks, AI writing assistant, I can always blame it on you and you don’t even care!

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I like the process of wearing down a pencil and turning pages.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Absolutely. It's my favorite hobby. Now, editing is a different story but I'm working on it... Slowly.

the way i imagine AI in writing isn't generating thousands of words from a single prompt.

I imagine it'll be heavily used in editing as it can learn the writing patterns of an author.

For example you type "Jamie looks at the door and is horrified by what he finds: a nun with massive bonkers missing her head."

and you get something like: "As Jaime's gaze fell upon the doorway, he could scarce believe what he beheld. There stood a septa, her ample bosom spilling forth from her bodice, yet bereft of her head, as if some fell beast had torn it asunder. Jaime's stomach turned at the sight, and he knew that this was no ordinary day." chatgpt: rewrite this in the style of george rr martin.

with a decent first draft made in seconds you can finish a chapter in a matter of minutes.
i have no interest in writing in another author's style though. if it can learn how my writing style then maybe. still it's been incredibly useful so far. I can get an answer for "How did people go to the bathroom in the 18th century?" in seconds. I don't have to spend hours researching extremely specific and stupid questions.

CubicleHermit

It's hard to get in flow. I hate hate hate the process of getting started writing.

But when I can get into a flow, and am writing well, yeah, it's awesome.

Half the time it then needs a TON of editing, and like half the chapters I've written recently are from random later parts of the book (which would be fine if I weren't serializing) but yeah, I enjoy it. I'm never going to make money off of it, so if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't bother.

D

Deleted member 54065

While I don't abhor the use of technologies in writing, I still prefer the classic way to create a story.

For one, it gives my brain the exercise it needs. For two, I won't get bored (and I shouldn't get bored) because I keep on thinking of scenarios and how to put them up together. For three, the skills I gain from my hobby is being put to good use in other things I do.

Having A.I. to write my works for me will just ruin it all.