Do you think Scribblehub should ban ai generated novels?

KrakenRiderEmma

Just to answer some recent questions and comments from @bokhi @LowinKeshin and other newcomers to thread
  • Scribble Hub policy currently requires stories with AI tools to be at least 50% created by humans

• NovelAI is a storytelling AI, which works differently than "instruct AI" that takes commands. Instead of writing a "prompt" telling the AI what to do, you have to write some of the story so that the AI will continue, and you generally write back-and-forth

• Some examples are the four series in my signature, which are written by the combination of AI statistical generation and 100Ks of regular writing by a human. There's no tag for AI on Scribble Hub right now, but the use of AI tools is mentioned in the description of series.

Anonymousrat

Ai art has taken over places such as devianart and other sites have chosen too regulate ai art or outright ban it, with Novelai becoming such a big trend do you believe that future novels which are generated with the use of sites such as Novelai should be banned or should they just be marked as being written by ai?
The Issue is if the site has the tech to identify AI novels in the first place. Considering how much GPT is advancing it wouldn’t surprise me if they can evade detection

zephyrzane

I've never read an interesting AI story, so I'd want to definitely be able to filter them out. I can just tell when something is written by AI. There's no joy in it. I mean, I'm sure I can't tell 100% of the time, but close enough.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Absolutely not. Things should be credited but it always takes a human impetus because there’s the addition of tags and lore and direction of the composition. It would be like banning particular word processing software. Honestly, much of it is far better than some things posted. I would rather see AI constructive narratives. It’s just another tool.
I think a major problem is that AI can pull from all kind of sources to learn and reuse those elements as oppose to just word processing software. It can “steal” another’s writing style.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Ban Natural Stupidity generated novels too if you're gonna ban AI.
I think that everyone has different taste, presences, and skill level. There needs to be a safe place for people to create when they aren’t ready to be a full time author or aren’t good enough yet to be published. AI being “better” than some human writing is only an argument that holds up if you start drawing arbitrary standards for what is good enough and do not care for the concept of creation for the joy of creation.
Ban Natural Stupidity generated novels too if you're gonna ban AI.
I think that everyone has different taste, presences, and skill level. There needs to be a safe place for people to create when they aren’t ready to be a full time author or aren’t good enough yet to be published. AI being “better” than some human writing is only an argument that holds up if you start drawing arbitrary standards for what is good enough and do not care for the concept of creation for the joy of creation.
I mean, I just made a typo in my own post - I meant preferences but typed presences. I don’t think my opinion does not matter because of that error.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Banning AI generated novels shouldn't be a priority when people are still posting stolen novels machine translated from chinese and claiming it as their own. At least credit the original author, duh.
Report those if you find them.

Translations aren't meant to be visible in Scribblehub's homepage nor should them be visible on searches.

You should only be able to find translations through direct links. If a translation appears on the homepage, you should report it, so that Tony can hide it.

Jacks

I wouldn't know to differentiate between a novel written by an AI and a human.

bulmabriefs144

Nope! Hollywood is threatened by AI scripts, because their woke films have sucked for years and a random AI can write better. But this is not true of indie novels. Even the most trashy indie novel is better than something AI-generated. I typed in basically the J.R.R. Tolkien plot but with a woman as the main character. This is what I got.

Once upon a time, in a land filled with enchantment and mystery, there lived a brave and determined woman named Elara. She possessed a heart as fierce as a lion and a spirit as strong as the winds that swept through the towering mountains that surrounded her village. But little did she know, her life was about to be forever changed.

One crisp morning, as the sun gracefully rose from its slumber, an ancient and wise sage appeared before Elara. His long, flowing robes whispered tales of forgotten knowledge, while his eyes gleamed with a hidden secret. He gifted her a small, gleaming ring. Its delicate design danced with the colors of the rainbow, an exquisite beauty that Elara had never seen.

"Elara," the sage spoke, voice carrying an otherworldly timbre. "This ring holds great power. A power that, in the wrong hands, could bring chaos and destruction to our land. You, my dear, have been chosen as its guardian. You must take it to Mount Doom, where its power can be forever extinguished."

Elara's eyes widened with both anticipation and trepidation. She accepted this great responsibility, understanding that the fate of her world rested upon her shoulders. With a determined nod, she embarked on her perilous journey.

As Elara scaled the treacherous mountain, her path twisted and turned, testing her resolve. She strayed from the well-worn trails, venturing into uncharted territories, driven by her instinct and faith. Along the way, she encountered mythical creatures and crossed paths with beings both benevolent and malevolent. Yet, she pressed on, unaffected by the obstacles and temptations that sought to hinder her.

Days blurred into nights as Elara approached the final steps leading to the heart of Mount Doom. It was there, within its fiery depths, that the ring was said to be destroyed forever. Flames flickered and danced, casting an eerie glow on her determined face as she prepared to cast the ring into the molten abyss.

But as she held the ring between her trembling fingers, its magical power sang a seductive song, whispering promises of limitless strength and untold wonders. Doubt crept into Elara's mind as she battled against its enchanting lure. Was she strong enough to resist this temptation? Could she truly let go of the power that was within her grasp?

It was in that desperate moment that Elara's eyes caught sight of a portrait, etched into the arched walls of Mount Doom. It depicted a world ravaged by darkness; once grand kingdoms now lay in ruins. Realization struck her like a bolt of lightning - the ring's power was far too great for any mortal to wield.

Summoning every ounce of courage, Elara closed her eyes and mustered the strength to resist the allure of the ring. With a flick of her wrist, she cast it into the consuming inferno below. As the ring disappeared into the molten lava, a wave of relief washed over Elara, replacing the temptation she had felt with a renewed sense of purpose.

As Elara descended Mount Doom, her steps were light and her heart was free from the burden that once weighed upon her. She returned to her village, where the whispers of her bravery spread like wildfire. The land rejoiced, for with the destruction of the ring, harmony and peace were restored.

Years passed, and Elara's tale became legend, a symbol of resilience and the timeless battle between temptation and fortitude. The memory of her selfless act resonated through generations, reminding the people of their capacity for greatness and the strength to resist the allure of power.

And so, the name of Elara, the woman who threw a magical ring into Mount Doom, would forever be etched into the annals of history, inspiring the hearts of those who yearned for a future free from the clutches of darkness.
That's good for a chapter, I suppose? But I imagine most of you could write a better chapter, and in fact extend this concept to at least ten chapters if not 30 or so. Besides, edgy topics get filtered around so you can't even write about them. For example, if I wanted to condemn the prison work system as a type of wage slavery, they would balk at the word slavery, and I'd have to write the chapter myself. Middle of the road, non-objectionable, and bland is what this auto-writing system produces.

I do like what Google Translate did for translating my book into Japanese. But I found it was missing words in the paragraph, and I had to add them back in.

Just make a checkbox, so people who dislike it know what they are reading, and make the option to exclude it from searches.

Last edited:

KrakenRiderEmma

That's good for a chapter, I suppose? But I imagine most of you could write a better chapter, and in fact extend this concept to at least ten chapters if not 30 or so. Besides, edgy topics get filtered around so you can't even write about them. For example, if I wanted to condemn the prison work system as a type of wage slavery, they would balk at the word slavery, and I'd have to write the chapter myself. Middle of the road, non-objectionable, and bland is what this auto-writing system produces.
This is why GPT-based AI isn’t good for fiction writing. It has too many baked in instructions and format that have to be worked around, and it’s uncensored. But there are more and more uncensored AI models that are unfiltered and flexible; people just assume ChatGPT is all there is.

The series in my sig are all AI-generated and ChatGPT would censor the hell out of them if I used that system, for instance.

Also, a reminder for this thread: AI-generated series with less than 50% human writing are already banned on SH, it’s in the site policy.

Oreo

Report those if you find them.

Translations aren't meant to be visible in Scribblehub's homepage nor should them be visible on searches.

You should only be able to find translations through direct links. If a translation appears on the homepage, you should report it, so that Tony can hide it.
Someone already reported and talked about it in the review section since last week, but the story just updated yesterday and still visible in the latest release. I guess Tony is busy.

AliceShiki

Someone already reported and talked about it in the review section since last week, but the story just updated yesterday and still visible in the latest release. I guess Tony is busy.
Report it again, then.

Leti

Report it again, then.
I think I know which story. The user posting the story always reposted the story again under a different title and cover after Tony hide it. Banning the story and the user don't work. They will just keep reposting it somehow.

Oreo

Report it again, then.
Reported it again, but it's still visible in latest updates and search. If we still have to manually report something like this and wait too long for the results, will we have to do the same thing to AI generated novel after it's banned?

Nyctoria

Reported it again, but it's still visible in latest updates and search. If we still have to manually report something like this and wait too long for the results, will we have to do the same thing to AI generated novel after it's banned?
Report it carefully.

AliceShiki

I assume 24h passed since your report and it's still visible? Since Tony isn't online all the time and stuff, and he is the only person who handles these things.

If the report isn't handled, I can only assume that Tony looked it up and concluded that the novel is not a translation, since he would have no reason to keep a translation publicly visible when he hides all other translations.