Does anyone actually get any money from the Kofi and paypal buttons?

Did you get any money from one time tipping services for your novel (or anything else)?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have no button and am not interested

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I have no button but am interested

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I have no novel, and so no button, and so I shall eat a cookie

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Reisinling

As in title: Does anyone actually get any money from the Kofi, PayPal, and so on? I'm asking because out of the few people that I've heard about who had those in their Open Source projects, some super popular with millions of downloads.. all that discussed the subject claimed they got 0 donations. So I was wondering if there is any point in setting them up.

This discussion does not include Patreon, or hiding chapters behind gems and so on.

Agentt

Thighs
I won't say that they don't get. Some of the authors here have read 50 pages ahead on patreon. Pretty sure they must have some subs.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
No point in setting them up if you aren't famous because nobody in this world donates for free and you'd literally have to work hard to gain money. Super pointless Kofi and Paypal, but you could set them up because it's cool (I did that)... I mean, maybe someone out there might acknowledge you and donate to you which would be a miracle.

Better don't expect to gain money from writing on an online site and start working part-time or full-time work. (Gib mi dat coki)

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
I've received multiple donations through paypal and 3 through ko-fi. i don't use Patreon or SS. I suppose you just gotta write something that stirs people up enough to want to donate? I was grateful because I got to put those funds towards a nice tablet I get to write on every day with now to pursue my lifelong passion.

hurting people with ntr.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I've received multiple donations through paypal and 3 through ko-fi. i don't use Patreon or SS. I suppose you just gotta write something that stirs people up enough to want to donate? I was grateful because I got to put those funds towards a nice tablet I get to write on every day with now to pursue my lifelong passion.

hurting people with ntr.
It sounded so wholesome until the end, thanks for playing with my feels

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
As in title: Does anyone actually get any money from the Kofi, PayPal, and so on? I'm asking because out of the few people that I've heard about who had those in their Open Source projects, some super popular with millions of downloads.. all that discussed the subject claimed they got 0 donations. So I was wondering if there is any point in setting them up.

This discussion does not include Patreon, or hiding chapters behind gems and so on.
Ai-chan only got kofi once. Yes, once. Still got the 3 bucks in there. While that's more than the 99% of people on scribblehub, it's not much of a 99% to talk about.

Ai-chan can't even remember how to open the kofi page, even assuming it can be taken out as is.

morhamza

I just posted my first chapter on here. It was pretty short and almost like an introduction to the story. Plan is to get people hooked, then start blasting links to my Patreon all over the place. Working on ideas for what the perks could be.

HappyVainGlory

The Ko-fi and paypal buttons are kind of like a guilt trip. Most people are shameless enough to ignore them, but occasionally you'll get someone who's kind-hearted enough to give you some alms. Just think of it as having your instrument case out for tips when you're practicing in public. You might not get anything, but it's there for the once in the blue moon chance you do.

Of course, you could also shamelessly beg for it every chapter too, but in that case Patreon would probably be better.

These have been the thoughts of your local happy and vain writer.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I work a full-time job and write for fun. I'm not saying I'm not interested in those supports but I feel if someone gave me even a dime for writing the story I love that it would go from a hobby/passion to something I'd have to put my utmost attention into.

That 2$ dono will constantly remind me that someone out there liked it enough to pay money. I personally would put extraordinary effort to not disappoint that person.

The weight of that scares me. lol

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
The Ko-fi and paypal buttons are kind of like a guilt trip. Most people are shameless enough to ignore them, but occasionally you'll get someone who's kind-hearted enough to give you some alms. Just think of it as having your instrument case out for tips when you're practicing in public. You might not get anything, but it's there for the once in the blue moon chance you do.

Of course, you could also shamelessly beg for it every chapter too, but in that case Patreon would probably be better.

These have been the thoughts of your local happy and vain writer.
I doubt any author here makes the money a good street guitarist would. In that situation, I might have a dollar in my wallet I won't miss, and can casually toss in. But online, I have to consciously send the money, and because it isn't just some spare change the impact feels worse.

PurpleCatGirl

I work a full-time job and write for fun. I'm not saying I'm not interested in those supports but I feel if someone gave me even a dime for writing the story I love that it would go from a hobby/passion to something I'd have to put my utmost attention into.

That 2$ dono will constantly remind me that someone out there liked it enough to pay money. I personally would put extraordinary effort to not disappoint that person.

The weight of that scares me. lol

I'm in similar situation. Have a regular boring job that pays the bills, but i write for fun. otoh i'd have a much happier life if i could pay the bills with writing. & i have a patreon that's doing kinda ok, but nowhere near enuf to quit the boring job.

but i absolutely dont want to disappoint my patrons, since they obviously like my writing enuf to send me money ^^

D

Deleted member 45782

Interesting. To me the concept of donating for stories or advanced chapters...i've seen people put their stories on free writing platforms. If people expect to read the stories for free in the first place, would they still want to donate?

Kuropon

I get like one paypal donation every 3 months xD Just go with patreon.
No point in setting them up if you aren't famous because nobody in this world donates for free and you'd literally have to work hard to gain money. Super pointless Kofi and Paypal, but you could set them up because it's cool (I did that)... I mean, maybe someone out there might acknowledge you and donate to you which would be a miracle.

Better don't expect to gain money from writing on an online site and start working part-time or full-time work. (Gib mi dat coki)
I wouldn't say it's pointless. I got some donations but best to just set up a Patreon and use forward chapters ahead of the regular release if you are even semi-serious with making money. I did get an insta jump in donations after making a patreon.
I'm in similar situation. Have a regular boring job that pays the bills, but i write for fun. otoh i'd have a much happier life if i could pay the bills with writing. & i have a patreon that's doing kinda ok, but nowhere near enuf to quit the boring job.

but i absolutely dont want to disappoint my patrons, since they obviously like my writing enuf to send me money ^^
Keep at it, been there.

Last edited: