Does anyone know if we can create fantasy journals here that aren't stories, but rather, notes and observations of original fantasy specimens?

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hi, hello! Sorry for the weird question, but does anyone know if this is allowed here? :blobspearpeek:

What I'm trying to make isn't a story, per se, rather a journal that has illustrations of fantasy tribes, fantasy beasts, fantasy herbs, maybe recipes for forging pills out of these. The illustrations are like... botanical drawings? Zoology plates? Blueprints of automobiles (fantasy-powered automobiles, etc)

I've looked through the tags and found no "Journal" option there, nor anything in the Content Guidelines page. Additionally, I've looked through existing series here with a journal and those are more or less story-based, not observational or botanical journals. These are original fantasy worlds I've created, of course (not taken from other existing novels, don't worry :sweat_smile:).

I'm quite interested in making a pill-forging journal with botanical illustrations of fantasy herbs or beast hides/organs or a "personal journal" style for fantasy tribes/kingdoms and house them onsite. Do let me know if you know it's allowed here! Much thanks~

EDIT: If not... I'll just slap a story on nilly-willy hahaha :blob_ninja::blob_ninja::blob_ninja:

Jemini

If you are asking if non-fiction is allowed, I did it once and didn't get any negative reactions to it. What I wrote was a writing guide. (Only has 2 chapters, could never piece any other ideas together enough to create more.)

Link

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Like Classic Mountain and Seas?
A bit like that, yes! But maybe messier, like a pill-forger just wrote... whatever he saw on that day, or when he's climbing and saw this and that specimen and brought it home, etc. It's not a guide or a nice compilation, which is also partly why I was like... scared to post hahaha :blobspearpeek:

If you are asking if non-fiction is allowed, I did it once and didn't get any negative reactions to it. What I wrote was a writing guide. (Only has 2 chapters, could never piece any other ideas together enough to create more.)
Mmmm... mine's definitely fiction, but it's not a narrative. So far yours hasn't been reported right? That gives me hope.... maybe I can stick my neck out and do it anyway... :blob_aww:

D

Deleted member 45782

A bit like that, yes! But maybe messier, like a pill-forger just wrote... whatever he saw on that day, or when he's climbing and saw this and that specimen and brought it home, etc. It's not a guide or a nice compilation, which is also partly why I was like... scared to post hahaha :blobspearpeek:

Mmmm... mine's definitely fiction, but it's not a narrative. So far yours hasn't been reported right? That gives me hope.... maybe I can stick my neck out and do it anyway... :blob_aww:
I don't think non fiction will be reported. Meets content guidelines doesn't seem to violate anything that's very touchy touchy subject.

Hmm there's bestiary - book of mythical creatures. Herbalism? Almanac?

D

Deleted member 45782

There is????? I'mma look it up and check the tags then! Thank youuuuuuuuu :blob_teary:
Probably there are no tags for it on sh. 😢

That sounds interesting.
A bit like that, yes! But maybe messier, like a pill-forger just wrote... whatever he saw on that day, or when he's climbing and saw this and that specimen and brought it home, etc.
So like if drunk Leonardo da Vinci or some drunk famous doc started to compile a book of stuff he observed? Sounds interesting chaos. :D

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Probably there are no tags for it on sh. 😢

That sounds interesting.

So like if drunk Leonardo da Vinci or some drunk famous doc started to compile a book of stuff he observed? Sounds interesting chaos. :D
Yeah, I found it, but although it's titled a bestiary it's actually a collection of short stories :blob_teary: Ah well... I'll just have to be brave and start first. If it gets deleted I'll find a different home for it

Hahaha yes drunk! No, wait, not drunk! Just really, really loopy! The eccentric type of cultivator, hahaha :blob_happy:

D

Deleted member 45782

Yeah, I found it, but although it's titled a bestiary it's actually a collection of short stories :blob_teary: Ah well... I'll just have to be brave and start first. If it gets deleted I'll find a different home for it.
Ah collection of short stories doesn't really do it justice since it could be daily notes and recording/enclopyedia of creatures but not like an actual story. Probably best bet thu.

Had to put my nonfiction writing guide under Slice of Life since there's no contemporary or nonfict genre.

I wish we can suggest more tags and it'll be implemented.
Hahaha yes drunk! No, wait, not drunk! Just really, really loopy! The eccentric type of cultivator, hahaha :blob_happy:
A cultivator who took one too many mushrooms...

D

Deleted member 45782

Only to hullcinate he was fighting a supreme deity of war, beat and shamed his sect master for shamelessly kicking him out and got the girl(s) of his dreams.

Actually...he was snorting up too many mushrooms and got too high while in front of his sect master. And lewding his junior sisters while at it too.

So out and about with a good boot, he got booted off the mountain. Down he rolled the many flight of stairs...

To land in the middle of the forest. And that's when he got the brilliant idea to start journal tracking all the creatures he came across. Mythological, rainbow colored, you named it.

Our minds don't make sense when we are in panic mode and running away from tigers you see. 😉

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Only to hullcinate he was fighting a supreme deity of war, beat and shamed his sect master for shamelessly kicking him out and got the girl(s) of his dreams.

Actually...he was snorting up too many mushrooms and got too high while in front of his sect master. And lewding his junior sisters while at it too.

So out and about with a good boot, he got booted off the mountain. Down he rolled the many flight of stairs...

To land in the middle of the forest. And that's when he got the brilliant idea to start journal tracking all the creatures he came across. Mythological, rainbow colored, you named it.

Our minds don't make sense when we are in panic mode and running away from tigers you see. 😉
Eh? But there aren't any women in his sect! :blob_shock:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'm pretty sure this should be alright~

I don't think you'll be able to find a good genre for it (I guess fantasy is about as generic as it can get though, so it can work), but there should be no problems in making this kind of thingy~

Agentt

Thighs
Wait, there was a need to be worried?
>.>;;
For past many days, I have been writing a similar note journal, I didn't even knew there was a chance for it to be reported

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Oh well then. Change it up. He was lewding all his junior brothers in the sect.

So bAM! He got kicked down the mountain. Rolling to this day...
And here I was thinking YOU were hallucinating all the women in after eating that shroom pill :blob_happy: :blob_happy: :blob_happy:

I'm pretty sure this should be alright~

I don't think you'll be able to find a good genre for it (I guess fantasy is about as generic as it can get though, so it can work), but there should be no problems in making this kind of thingy~
Oooh alright! Thanks~
I was just a bit worried about it being allowed since it's not actually a story. :sweat_smile: The genre tag itself is fine~ I think fantasy is good!

Wait, there was a need to be worried?
>.>;;
For past many days, I have been writing a similar note journal, I didn't even knew there was a chance for it to be reported
I'm not sure. :sweating_profusely: I just don't want to do the wrong thing and post something that people found and then be like, "wtf did I just find, this ain't a story, report report report :blob_hmph:"

But looking at it, I think it's fine... I'll just post it when I have enough content from my own paper journals and find time to scan them in :blob_melt: my books are very messy!!

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Hi, hello! Sorry for the weird question, but does anyone know if this is allowed here? :blobspearpeek:

What I'm trying to make isn't a story, per se, rather a journal that has illustrations of fantasy tribes, fantasy beasts, fantasy herbs, maybe recipes for forging pills out of these. The illustrations are like... botanical drawings? Zoology plates? Blueprints of automobiles (fantasy-powered automobiles, etc)

I've looked through the tags and found no "Journal" option there, nor anything in the Content Guidelines page. Additionally, I've looked through existing series here with a journal and those are more or less story-based, not observational or botanical journals. These are original fantasy worlds I've created, of course (not taken from other existing novels, don't worry :sweat_smile:).

I'm quite interested in making a pill-forging journal with botanical illustrations of fantasy herbs or beast hides/organs or a "personal journal" style for fantasy tribes/kingdoms and house them onsite. Do let me know if you know it's allowed here! Much thanks~

EDIT: If not... I'll just slap a story on nilly-willy hahaha :blob_ninja::blob_ninja::blob_ninja:
You can. There is no rule preventing such things. Just specifically mention in your story synopsis that this is a journal-type fantasy book and is not a narrative piece. Tony never said that this is for stories only, only that he wanted to make a site for original stories.

furnace

I think that I have seen something similar here. It was a collection of ideas for items and plotlines, and the author had allowed other authors to copy those plots and expand on it to create their own stories, or in the case of items, to use it in their stories.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
You can. There is no rule preventing such things. Just specifically mention in your story synopsis that this is a journal-type fantasy book and is not a narrative piece. Tony never said that this is for stories only, only that he wanted to make a site for original stories.
Aaaa alright! I'll definitely put it in the synopsis! I'll just make note there that it's a non-narrative piece, just a journal with herbal illustrations and some notes on fantasy plants/animals. Thanks~~

I think that I have seen something similar here. It was a collection of ideas for items and plotlines, and the author had allowed other authors to copy those plots and expand on it to create their own stories, or in the case of items, to use it in their stories.
Ooooh is there? I mean there are plotlines there so that's a story. Mine's uh......... there's not even a plotline, sadly :blob_teary:
But I was thinking I could slap on a short plotline or very short story in it. "Today I found mushrooms climbing up that mountain range".... that's a story right there...:sweating_profusely:

Agentt

Thighs
Aaaa alright! I'll definitely put it in the synopsis! I'll just make note there that it's a non-narrative piece, just a journal with herbal illustrations and some notes on fantasy plants/animals. Thanks~~

Ooooh is there? I mean there are plotlines there so that's a story. Mine's uh......... there's not even a plotline, sadly :blob_teary:
But I was thinking I could slap on a short plotline or very short story in it. "Today I found mushrooms climbing up that mountain range".... that's a story right there...:sweating_profusely:
Oh yes, @ChaddicusThundercock didn't you also write one for newbies authors on how to write?
And here I was thinking YOU were hallucinating all the women in after eating that shroom pill :blob_happy: :blob_happy: :blob_happy:

Oooh alright! Thanks~
I was just a bit worried about it being allowed since it's not actually a story. :sweat_smile: The genre tag itself is fine~ I think fantasy is good!

I'm not sure. :sweating_profusely: I just don't want to do the wrong thing and post something that people found and then be like, "wtf did I just find, this ain't a story, report report report :blob_hmph:"

But looking at it, I think it's fine... I'll just post it when I have enough content from my own paper journals and find time to scan them in :blob_melt: my books are very messy!!
Shameless promotion time!

Here is one based on a research paper I once read about mechanical properties of human breasts

Here is a article based on an incident in 2015 when people stopped buying snacks and cold drinks

And here is my most successful story till now

All of them are comedy, and have no plot, just me taking notes