Does anyone read fairy tails?

lambenttyto

I'm reading the Arabian Nights, finished The Brother's Grimm, the Blue Fairy book, and am now in the middle of the Red Fairy Book. I've noticed something.

Madame d'Aulnoy.

For the western fairy tales, hers are in fact the best and most entertaining. Interesting that she coined the term "fairy tale," though she did it in French.

All that being said, I want to write an epic fairy tale, written in a similar narrative style with a large cast of POV characters. I want all the story lines to come together for one big crescendo before happily ever afters ensue.

Thoughts?

EternalSunset0

I read Fairy Tail. Watched it, too.

On a serious note, though, I have read some fairy tales as part of childhood reading. Basically, those staple short stories being read to 3 year olds. As for currently reading of my own will, no, I'm not. Although I do get interested in them from time to time through other media, such as the game Mary Skelter. Or from superficially-related manga like Magi.

Good luck on your project. If you are passionate about it, go for it.

BlackKnightX

I love fairy tails and the classic narrative style. Just like you, I’ve thought about combining that writing style with a more epic content but never saw to it. If you wanna write one, please do so. I’m looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 57675

I'm reading the Arabian Nights, finished The Brother's Grimm, the Blue Fairy book, and am now in the middle of the Red Fairy Book. I've noticed something.

Madame d'Aulnoy.

For the western fairy tales, hers are in fact the best and most entertaining. Interesting that she coined the term "fairy tale," though she did it in French.

All that being said, I want to write an epic fairy tale, written in a similar narrative style with a large cast of POV characters. I want all the story lines to come together for one big crescendo before happily ever afters ensue.

Thoughts?
Yes. Similar path. Myths. Fairytales. Retellings. Twists. :3

Nice meet fellow person interested in those.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I love fairy tales myself as I would read them a lot when I was a child. Many of which have influenced my writing style as well as my love for myths and legends.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Madame d'Aulnoy.

Thoughts?
Just make sure to plan out your story and stay consistent

lambenttyto

It's really nice to see that other people here have read and have an interest in them. I'm giving it serious thought! In fact, I already wrote an Arabian Nights-inspired story, even with the nineteenth century diction found in the translation.

Basically, those staple short stories being read to 3 year olds.

Not sure what you read as a kid, but these fairy tales collected from back in the day are not for three year olds. Murder, human cannibalism, rape, and malicious evil are very common themes. A lot of the stories are rather horrific. The prince who saves Rapunzel has his eyes gouged out. A commoner handmaiden who attempts to take the princess' place in the Goose Girl story threatens to murder her if she resists. In the end, she's stripped naked, put in a barrel full of nails and rolled about until she's killed.

The Arabian Nights is even more colorful.

I love fairy tails and the classic narrative style. Just like you, I’ve thought about combining that writing style with a more epic content but never saw to it. If you wanna write one, please do so. I’m looking forward to it.
Sweet. I want it to be a thousand pages. A true tome of an epic.

Definitely give the originals another read. It's worth it. After I finish the Arabian Nights, I might just restart it over again and read a different translation. They're very different books depending on which translation you go with.

I don't typically outline, but I'm thinking it's not a bad idea either.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Fairy tales are basically just folk tales adapted for the younger audience. It usually has magic and fantasy creatures, where the original folk tale would have depictions of sin and depravity not suitable for the younger audience. If you're a kid, you probably don't want to know the original story of Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Cinderella. Reading the original Aschenputtel back when Ai-chan was younger was traumatic for Ai-chan.

Ai-chan doesn't think it's the narrative style that makes it a fairy tale, but the supernatural elements inside it that makes it a fairy tale. Ai-chan recall a few books titled Christian Fairy Tales when Ai-chan worked at a bookstore last time. They were aimed at children and instead of good fairies and benevolent witches, they tell original stories about people who do good deeds and gains assistance from the angels and the saints.

So if you want to write fairy tales, it would probably be easiest to start by writing folk tales. Then add supernatural elements and thus make it a fairy tale. Writing 1001 Nights would be an amazing achievement. From Ai-chan's understanding, it's actually just a collection of existing folk stories, though. The only thing original was the Sultan and Lady Scheherazade.

SailusGebel

The last time I read fairy tales wasn't so long ago, and I do like them. Fairy tales, folk tales, legends, bylina, everything is great. I've read fairy tales from all over the world, but I think I like the ones in my native language the most.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
We haven't really gotten into fairy tales yes, but we're reading Mother Goose, so I guess that kinda counts.

Monaka

I read Kaori Yuki's books, that's as epic as fairy tales can be.

Amok

grblbrbl
Tale of Tales as a film is an interesting take on the genre, bringing it more in line with its visceral roots of old.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I love fairytales and often incorporate them in my stories. If it's told well, I'll read it so go for it! Doesn't even need a new 'twist' or whatever, a plain ole retelling will do me just fine. Disney-fy me!

I would love to see more ancient tales being brought to life, such as those of the Mabinogion. Plenty of Arthur retellings but no-one seems to want to touch the old Celtic heroes. Some amazing stories there. So I'm doing it myself (somewhat).

Macha

Not a Klutz
Our version of Cinderella ended with the heroine killing her stepsister and serving her to the wicked stepmother as food. I'm not reading that to my children.

lambenttyto

Our version of Cinderella ended with the heroine killing her stepsister and serving her to the wicked stepmother as food. I'm not reading that to my children.
Lol, nice! When you say "our version"?

lambenttyto

[Folklore & Fairytales] Vietnam’s gory Cinderella story - Chao Hanoi
Cam trembles with fear at the seemingly impossible return of her stepsister but tries to keep it cool, attempting to befriend her instead. But Tam knows better. She acts coy at first, then tricks Cam into jumping in a hole, which she then fill with hot water. Boiled through and through, Cam meets her demise. But this punishment is still not enough for Tam. She gifted the stepmother fish sauce, but instead of anchovies, it is Cam’s…corpse that is fermented for that distinct umami taste of revenge.

Lol! Yummy!