Does this book cover make you want to check my story out?

morhamza

So I made a book cover for my story using a free template I found online. I really like it, but I'm not too sure it will draw readers in.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 20210426_162950_0000.png
    20210426_162950_0000.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 157

morhamza

So I made a book cover for my story using a free template I found online. I really like it, but I'm not too sure it will draw readers in.
What do you think?
20210426_162950_0000.png

morhamza

Did you make the same thread twice?
Lol... I'm not sure. My internet kind of had a seizure and reloaded the same page, so I clicked on post again only to find out I made the thread already.

Napelynn

What do you think?
I think it's fine. It looks a lot like what you would see on an actual physical book.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I'm not entirely sold on the font of the title.

The rest looks good to me!

Jessie_Emilyn

Honestly no but that is more due to it seeming to hint at topics/genres I don't read. It seems fine as a cover however and far better than any cover I use.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
What do you think?
It's not bad, it feels like a mystery novel. It doesn't draw Ai-chan, but the only mystery books Ai-chan read are Sherlock Homes, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

If you're looking for critique though, Ai-chan only has two:
1) The title is too high, it makes a large chunk of your cover look empty. Lower it just a little bit.
2) Ai-chan hasn't measured it, but either the dude in the cover or the author name is off-center. It's not necessarily bad to make it off center, but in this case, Ai-chan thinks it's best for both to be centered. Right now, either the dude is slightly to the right or the author name is slightly to the left.

That's all, there's nothing really wrong with the cover and it's common enough to see similar covers in bookstores. Oh but the content does need to conform to the cover. Your cover is attracting the serious type of readers and if your story is a weeb isekai harem, your audience will likely leave trollish reviews.

morhamza

Do you want a real answer? Change it into an anime girl who had big tits, posing seductively and wearing a swimsuit... A bunch of people will surely click on it.
LOL. I would love nothing more than to do this, but it wouldn't take readers long to realize they've been baited and leave bad reviews.
It's not bad, it feels like a mystery novel. It doesn't draw Ai-chan, but the only mystery books Ai-chan read are Sherlock Homes, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

If you're looking for critique though, Ai-chan only has two:
1) The title is too high, it makes a large chunk of your cover look empty. Lower it just a little bit.
2) Ai-chan hasn't measured it, but either the dude in the cover or the author name is off-center. It's not necessarily bad to make it off center, but in this case, Ai-chan thinks it's best for both to be centered. Right now, either the dude is slightly to the right or the author name is slightly to the left.

That's all, there's nothing really wrong with the cover and it's common enough to see similar covers in bookstores. Oh but the content does need to conform to the cover. Your cover is attracting the serious type of readers and if your story is a weeb isekai harem, your audience will likely leave trollish reviews.
Ah, I for sure know how it feels getting a book, being hyped to read it due to the cover only to be disappointed by the content. I will try my very best to keep it faithful to what the cover hints.
Seems like a horror or disaster type novel from the cover alone. Got that Silent Hill vibe. Dunno if that's what you're going for though.
Well... it is mostly fantasy, but the main theme of the whole story will be loneliness. After all, someone who lives too long will eventually see all their loved ones die and be alone. However, it does have elements of horror, just later on. For the few pages I've written it's still a bit tame.
I think it's fine. It looks a lot like what you would see on an actual physical book.
Yeah... my background is in the traditional world of publishing. I never got any book published, but all I know about writing and making books are geared towards that world, so I still tend to be too serious in my approach. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I will try my best to at least make what I write interesting.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Doesn't attract me at all, but that's because it doesn't look like the kind of story I'd enjoy.

Only feedback I can give for it is the same that you have already been given. The upper part of the cover looks way too empty.

D

Deleted member 45782

Looks like an actual published novel cover would see at a library. But looks of a mystery genre. More just curious mystery than horror or solemn mood (for the loneliness your character goes through).

lambchap

Hmm... Try longer title that sums up the whole story. e.g. "I reincarnated as an eternal? Oh no, My waifu might be trying to kill me." that kind of title or perhaps longer.

Joking aside, yes, lots of spaces. maybe darken the font (eternal) a little more. And a lil bigger...? Sure it gives a lonely vibe but lacking in the "darker/tragic" tone if that's what you're aiming for. Will I pick up the book from the shelves? Maybe. Will I click on it in web fiction format? I dunno. Or Waifus in lewd attires, maybe.

P.S. I'm no cover artist by the way but this is my perspective if I were a reader.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Outliving companions is sad and interesting. Especially if its intertwined with wholesome meaning.

There are great stuffs on that theme : Frieren at the funeral and https://motokare.xyz/reader/series/yuusha-go-ikkou-no-kaerimichi/

Frieren's covers looks like calm moment of meditation in a fantasy forest rather than looking plainly bleak.

Its hard to make a cover so I think staying blurry and abstract like you do is the best bet. If you want to change to tone of your cover it would probably by playing with hue and contrast. You could even play with the title font and color.

The gloomy green shadow does its job at signaling that there's going to be hardship depression but the gloomy fog feels like that there is no redeeming to Life lol