Ever feel you don't have enough time to write?

ForestDweller

Work kills all my desire to write at weekdays while at weekends, I mostly spend my free time going out or playing video games.

Started writing when Covid hits and I could pump out a chapter a day back then. Now, it's two weeks to a month.

When you write a long running series with an ending that's still far away, I'm starting to question whether I should even bother seeing to the end. How long would it take with that update speed?

J_Chemist

After writing my main series for two years and with the ending still many years away, it is definitely worth it. Build yourself a routine and if you have to, write small chunks every day. If you're dedicated, you'll make the time.

I've learned to set aside Saturday evenings and Sundays as my writing and editing blocks. Mostly Sundays now since I use Saturdays for errands and relaxing. With Covid over and having to return to real life, finding those blocks is up to you.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Just keep it up. I had the same dilemma. Just keep at it because it is worth it. Hell, you don't even have to fully see it to the end. Get to a good stopping point and take a hiatus to work on getting back into the groove. It may take a few months but you'll feel better about it when you're back to writing at least every other day. Plus, by then you'll have a backlog of chapters to release once you're back to it.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Work kills all my desire to write at weekdays while at weekends, I mostly spend my free time going out or playing video games.
I totally feel that, especially right now. Like, I could write right now, but I'd rather play a video game, I also had to clean up my flat, I'm overworked and tired anyway. But I still write three chapters a week, because I don't want to let it go.
To answer your question: Seeing it to the end is well worth it. Even if it takes you longer, there's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment, when you finished up one of your own stories, knowing this is something you have created.

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
My writing sessions only ever occur late in the night in bed. I can almost never write properly unless it's at that specific time.

I miss it often because I end up falling asleep early. Like right now :blob_sleep:

D.S.Nate

Started writing when Covid hits and I could pump out a chapter a day back then. Now, it's two weeks to a month.

When you write a long running series with an ending that's still far away, I'm starting to question whether I should even bother seeing to the end. How long would it take with that update speed?
Find pockets of time and break down the work load to a paragraph to even a line a day. Over time you will build discipline and momentum. if you just do that. Even opening up the story to write in a sentence a day I promise you that you will have made a lot of progress.

Also around yourself with people who are also on the writers journey. Writing can be a lonely journey but it helps to have peers who are on the path with you.

If you want I have a discord where me and other writers bounce ideas and do weekly podcasts. If you interested then just DM me.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I do think this sometimes, but it's just a lie to tell yourself. Almost everyone has time to write. It's all about time management.

Though if you enjoy other hobbies, writing doesn't have to be at the top of priorities.

It's not easy, but if you want to write, write. It doesn't matter if it's a chapter a day, a week, or a month. The main thing is to have it divided up somehow because you can suffer from burnout if you push yourself too hard.

I'm still finding my tempo. I found out early on that writing all the time isn't the right thing to do. You quickly run out of energy and elan. I try once or twice a week now, with rest days in between. That's working so far.

You just have to find the right routine so you don't feel like you're forcing yourself.

TotallyHuman

If I want to write I make time. The problem is when the story's initial premise or idea is gone and it goes to strange directions. Then it feels it's better to end it prematurely instead of kicking it like a dying horse

Succubiome

To me, that sounds less like "not enough time" and more like "not enough motivation/energy"?

I might suggest you try writing something else for a bit? It could be you're burnt out on the story you've been focusing on for a year and a half, rather than writing itself.

D.S.Nate

Same!
I rather play a game than write.
But still, I want to write.
But also, I want to rest.
But also also, I really want to write a lot.
But there is a game I want to play.
But the bed is there and I just want to zzzz.
But man I want to write.
Ah, it's Monday already.
Too relatable lol

All I can say that to gain new habits you have to try new things. It's always hard at first but we humans are quite adaptable to new stimuli. So if you really want it then just start of small and work your way up.

Temple

This. It's not just there's not enough time to write. There is time. Just that after work and other real-life stuff, I also don't have the energy to write in my free time.
Still, I just trudge along because the only one who can write my story is me.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
What is time to write and how does it taste? Is it a choking hazard, or can I just give it to my kid without slicing it?

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm also back working, and with the bunch of paperworks I need to do, the amount of time for the hobby is low.

Still, I consider it the 'calm before the storm'. I'm.just gathering ideas, ready to let it all out once the holiday vacation is here.

A friend once told me, "If you love what you do, you'll find time to do it." And I think it still applies to us all.