Evolution of walking on two feet

Agentt

Thighs
Well, walking upright gave up a huge boost.
I believe evolution to be an rpg, there are only a limited amount of evolution points you can spend.

Example, humans were able to invest in more intelligence by giving up thick fur and hide. They were also able to invest in intelligence by giving up super human strength that our neothithic ansectors had.

Take a look at current primeapes, they all care for their babies, and only primates take care of babies for so long, long enough to fend for themselves, in contrast to eagles who kick the babies as soon as their wings are born.

So, coming back, while all primates have motherly skills, only we humans have a head over our shoulders. Literally. Others have it a bit ahead of their shoulders, making them off balance. Which is why primates need a tail for balance.
Those who don't have a tail, like gorilla, use their long arms as a walking cane.

Which is why we were able to spend our evolution points, which would otherwise go into a tail or huge arms, into intelligence and social

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Afaik the underdevelopment of human children is because of upright walk. The combination of big head and narrow pelvis means the only way of getting them through it is (from a developmental standpoint) shorter carriage.

This is also the reason most animals just kinda drop out while humans get the fun version of birth process.
I say there were multiple factors at play. Looking at what stress does to young minds makes me think that protecting our babies from stress/danger had a lot to do with increased intelligence.
We got a little smarter due to lifestyle changes, and then we kept going! Our brains aren't really that much bigger compared to our body size.

Oh yes, giving birth was very fun! I shared my story in a thread about writing erotic horror a while back:
I believe evolution to be an rpg, there are only a limited amount of evolution points you can spend.
I love this line of thinking. We aren't more evolved than other species. We simply chose to spend our points in different ways! I wonder what we will spend our points on next.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I say there were multiple factors at play. Looking at what stress does to young minds makes me think that protecting our babies from stress/danger had a lot to do with increased intelligence.

We got a little smarter due to lifestyle changes, and then we kept going! Our brains aren't really that much bigger compared to our body size.
But the pelvis is a fuckton narrower. I'm mainly talking about physical development, such as taking months to be able to move on our own.

Beyond that I'd say it's the downside of versatility/adaptability.
(And children who didn't give a fuck about having attention being somewhat more likely to be removed from the gene pool)

SternenklarenRitter

Interestingly, the consensus among people who study living great apes, is that bipedal walking evolved -in those particular great apes they study- (we're talkin' biologists not anthropologists, so they are generally cautious against drawing conclusions about humans, even if some propose logical parallels) to carry the baby. In the wild, gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees have actually been documented universally walking upright whenever they need to carry their infant (a few other apes have been shown to do so on occasion as individual preferences). New first time mothers are observed to hobble around on two feet and a knuckle while carrying the kid underneath them, but quickly get tired of it after half a day or less. At this point they decide to walk on two legs whenever they need to carry their child, and likewise for all future offspring as well.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Interestingly, the consensus among people who study living great apes, is that bipedal walking evolved -in those particular great apes they study- (we're talkin' biologists not anthropologists, so they are generally cautious against drawing conclusions about humans, even if some propose logical parallels) to carry the baby. In the wild, gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees have actually been documented universally walking upright whenever they need to carry their infant (a few other apes have been shown to do so on occasion as individual preferences). New first time mothers are observed to hobble around on two feet and a knuckle while carrying the kid underneath them, but quickly get tired of it after half a day or less. At this point they decide to walk on two legs whenever they need to carry their child, and likewise for all future offspring as well.
Awesome! Do you have an article about that? My dad would be very interested in reading it :)

SternenklarenRitter

@K5Rakitan I originally heard about it on a radio program a few years ago. I tried looking for an excerpt but had little luck since I don't remember the name of the program it aired on.