Fake genre "Historical"

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I think you also have to consider where its being tagged. It's entirely possible the authors KNOW it's not historical, but the more tags on your story the more chances it may come up when somebody is looking for something to read.

FADEX

Before posting my story, I checked what stories were posted on NU under the Historical tag and I also looked on Google. The genre is split between those who portray a fictional idea in a real general setting (like between china, dragons and real places and fake/real people; and china, dragons, made up places and people) and a fictional idea in a fictional alternate world bearing similarities to Earth.

You are talking about considering where it's being tagged, that's a valid point but I never expected to be able to read Pure Historical fiction on SH because at first glance the site is full of stories inspired by translated novels. I expect to read Historical Fiction on Wattpad when I look at the genre and I see less Historical Fantasy than real Historical Fiction.

Reading certain genres is more feasible on certain sites. If there are more Pure Historical fictions on SH, the argument about making things harder for readers to find what they want to read will get stronger, but until then the line of Historical will be blurred.

That's just my opinion anyway.

namio

I find FADEX's point about site context to be really interesting. You're right in that I wouldn't really expect to find that many historical historical novels in SH, and specifically I wouldn't be looking for them here. This is a place where I wouldn't expect much fact-hunting and -checking in the stories, given the push to publish daily.

That said, I'm not camp "a real place named with real people etc in the story". Granted, online I mostly read Chinese webnovels-- I have different mindset regarding traditionally published western novels, because it's just a different literary culture-- but a lot of "historical" Chinese webnovels I read (about... governing... during locust plagues and holding court where people just recite poetry...) base a lot of their government, for example, off a specific dynasty without carrying everything else over. While some novels wouldn't say that it's Tang dynasty the nth year of Kaiyuan or really namedrop a certain emperor, if it deals with Tang-era customs, Imperial Exams, government official hierarchy etc, even if it doesn't set itself on Chang'an but a vague "Capital City" then I would still go with it having a historical genre. Two reasons: I feel like giving some leeway to writers who are partially doing this for their own enjoyment as well is important, we're not machines, and secondly, history carries baggage with it not every story is there to address. Sometimes, you just really want to write a story where a third of a chapter is the MC contemplating how to write a poem for the emperor's birthday and it has to be a certain rhyme with certain "season words" and with adequate contrast of imagery between each two lines or whatever. (I really really love these novels)

This line from Wikipedia on Historical Fiction probably sums up my opinion:
An essential element of historical fiction is that it is set in the past and pays attention to the manners, social conditions and other details of the depicted period.

As someone who really enjoys historical fiction (both accurate and more fictional), frankly I'm more interested in the details of the setting being correct rather than explicit mentions of eras/real events and figures. Of course I'm delighted when it does actually have real events and real historical figures, but it's not where the bar is for me.

That said, with my bar being this low, I do still find myself often disappointed LOL

Suzumiya

I normally don't like complaining but like, I can't emphasize how triggered I get when I see a story tagged as "Historical", then I click on it and see the following;

• 100% Fantasy setting
  • Sytem
  • Isekai
  • No mention of Real places
  • No mention of Real people
  • No description what so ever of the era/year.
Like, at least Wuxia could be considered "Historical" since they mostly give you a feeling of being part of a mystical (Not) China. But like, the rest of the stories I see that use the "Historical" Genre, are just 100% original fantasy settings.

What's up with that?
Yeh, it does make one wonder.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
at this point the tags are more as an aesthetical asterisk.

historical just means it feels like the olden epics

ancient china is just people in jade clothes eating rice

ancient times is just free game at this point. from fucking wooden spear chucking voodoo tribes to bare 1920 top hat gangsters.

at least that's what I observed from the examples I saw in SH