Fantasy magic vs real life magic and schizo stuff.

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
Almost every fantasy magic system is based or has roots based on DnD (except of course eastern stuff like cultivation). That's why many magic systems in fiction seem pretty identical. However real-life magic (doesn't matter if you don't believe that it works) has some really fascinating aspects and rules, which might be interesting for writers: not only for background information on the core concept of magic and how it evolved from real-life usage to fiction and media, but also for having maybe a bit more of a unique magic system compared to the vast amount of fantasy novels out there.

I've been intensively researching occult stuff for the past couple of weeks for "reasons", and even though I don't consider myself an expert, I think I gathered enough knowledge to give a brief overview about a few topics related to that.

But I wanted to ask first if people here are actually interested in stuff like that before I start spamming the forum with schizo stuff.

1609459811564.gif

Angry_Clown

Almost every fantasy magic system is based or has roots based on DnD
Yeah, no. There's plenty of original stuff. Just because you didn't read it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've yet to see people read the novels just for the magic system, so don't let any perceived uniqueness stop you.

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
Yeah, no. There's plenty of original stuff. Just because you didn't read it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've yet to see people read the novels just for the magic system, so don't let any perceived uniqueness stop you.
I never said they didn't exist. But compared to all those traditional fantasy magic systems, they are certainly not that common.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This brings me back to 2014 when my ex brought home his other girlfriend, who was really his long-time meth buddy, though I didn't put all the pieces together until later. Instead, I sensed that demonic forces were at play (and maybe there was some of that going on as well) and attempted to cleanse the house with incense, salt, and other things. Anyway, she was legitimately schizophrenic and took one of my kitchen knives to bed with her because she was hallucinating and shit. I found it under the pillow of the futon after my ex attempted to have us all sleep in the same bed, but the thing is it was just a full-sized bed, and he tried putting her in the middle because he had this fantasy about me being bisexual. I'm not bisexual, just heteroflexible. Anyway, that was an adventure.

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
This brings me back to 2014 when my ex brought home his other girlfriend, who was really his long-time meth buddy, though I didn't put all the pieces together until later. Instead, I sensed that demonic forces were at play (and maybe there was some of that going on as well) and attempted to cleanse the house with incense, salt, and other things. Anyway, she was legitimately schizophrenic and took one of my kitchen knives to bed with her because she was hallucinating and shit. I found it under the pillow of the futon after my ex attempted to have us all sleep in the same bed, but the thing is it was just a full-sized bed, and he tried putting her in the middle because he had this fantasy about me being bisexual. I'm not bisexual, just heteroflexible. Anyway, that was an adventure.
Wait, what happened with the knife-wielding girlfriend? Did she try to stab ghosts or something?

Last edited: