Writing Prompt Finish The Story: When You're In Love

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Your teenage son comes knocking on your door.

He looks embarrassed by something he didn't even say yet.

You say, "What is it?" trying not to say, "SPIT IT OUT DAMN KID."

He asks:

"How do you know when you're in love?"

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds

He asks:

"How should I know? I've adopted you."

Simple_Russian_Boi

Maybe an alcoholic | Occasionally a cat

He asks:

Looking your son in the eye, you can't tell him the truth. You can't tell him that you've never felt love in your life, just the weight of the responsibilities that have been placed on your shoulders since birth. He doesn't deserve it.

Instead, you make tea and tell him the same words that your late grandmother once told you.

"Kid, love is a strange thing. No one in the world can tell you when you're falling in love. But if your day gets better when they come into the room, if you can't get them out of your head, if even just the sound of their name makes your heart jump, then most likely it's love." You choose not to say 'or a heart attack', it's not worth spoiling the moment.

Or:

"It's when you spend all your time with one person and don't want to tear off their head when they say something dumb. If it's not love, then I don't know what is."

You ruffle his hair a bit.

"Now get out of here, love you, kiddo."

Or:

"I don't have a son, who are you?"

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate

He asks:

"A one night stand should answer that."

KrakenRiderEmma

He asks:

You furrow your brow. How can this be happening already? "Don't worry, son... I'll check it out for you."

You pull your tools from your workbench and beckon him over, then use a spudger to flip open the tiny panel on his temple. Sure enough, some pink warning lights are flashing on the emotion circuit. "It's overloading again...? I guess I should have expected this for a teenage model." You plug the diagnostic cable in and connect it to your tablet, waiting for a full readout.

"Am I going to be all right, mom?" He sounds a little scared -- more scared than he should for the kind of rigorous training you're putting him through.

"Of course, son. One way or another." You try to make your voice sound reassuring.

Minutes later, you close your tablet with a sigh. "Well, those logs explain a lot. But I guess there's no other choice now..."

Your son watches you nervously as your bring a probe towards his temple. Before you insert it into the socket marked HARD RESET, you catch his eye.

"One last thing, son... you might not remember this, but I love you, and I have one piece of advice."

"Yes, mother?"

"Stay away from that Hikaru boy. He's just too... intense for your delicate constitution." You slide the probe home, and his eyes go dim.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
“When you think their stupidness is endearing”

“that’s. Kind of mean, Mom?”

Dad from across the room: “When you put up their bad attitude all the time but still think it’s cute!”

“Okay, soooo. According to those comments I’m in love with the family cat.”

The teenager walks up the steps to his bedroom with a smile. He had his answer. You know you’re in love when you can joke about each other without hurting, when you know each other’s faults and accept them, and when you can stay best friends for a lifetime.

Love isn’t all hormones or romantic dates. It’s how you are on quiet nights and boring days.

D

Deleted member 54065

He asks:

"No son, you're not In Love. Your name is Biggus, and your surname is Dickus."

"I wish I wasn't born," said Biggus.

"Yes, you aren't Born, I just said you're Biggus."

End.

dummycake

“When you think their stupidness is endearing”

“that’s. Kind of mean, Mom?”

Dad from across the room: “When you put up their bad attitude all the time but still think it’s cute!”

“Okay, soooo. According to those comments I’m in love with the family cat.”

The teenager walks up the steps to his bedroom with a smile. He had his answer. You know you’re in love when you can joke about each other without hurting, when you know each other’s faults and accept them, and when you can stay best friends for a lifetime.

Love isn’t all hormones or romantic dates. It’s how you are on quiet nights and boring days.
wholesome

He asks:

You furrow your brow. How can this be happening already? "Don't worry, son... I'll check it out for you."

You pull your tools from your workbench and beckon him over, then use a spudger to flip open the tiny panel on his temple. Sure enough, some pink warning lights are flashing on the emotion circuit. "It's overloading again...? I guess I should have expected this for a teenage model." You plug the diagnostic cable in and connect it to your tablet, waiting for a full readout.

"Am I going to be all right, mom?" He sounds a little scared -- more scared than he should for the kind of rigorous training you're putting him through.

"Of course, son. One way or another." You try to make your voice sound reassuring.

Minutes later, you close your tablet with a sigh. "Well, those logs explain a lot. But I guess there's no other choice now..."

Your son watches you nervously as your bring a probe towards his temple. Before you insert it into the socket marked HARD RESET, you catch his eye.

"One last thing, son... you might not remember this, but I love you, and I have one piece of advice."

"Yes, mother?"

"Stay away from that Hikaru boy. He's just too... intense for your delicate constitution." You slide the probe home, and his eyes go dim.
interesting (and gay)
"No son, you're not In Love. Your name is Biggus, and your surname is Dickus."

"I wish I wasn't born," said Biggus.

"Yes, you aren't Born, I just said you're Biggus."

End.
funny
"You don’t."
what?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
"Well... You don't." I smile at him and ruffle his hair.

"You... Don't?" He was unsurprisingly confused.

"You don't." I nodded, "You try it out. Love is too complicated to simply be understood by thoughts alone.
"You have to feel it. You have to try it. You have to let yourself experience it.
"How do you know if you're in love? Well... If you have dated for long enough and think you wanna be with that person for the rest of your life, then you're probably in love."

"... But what if I'm not in love?" He asked, clearly troubled about what the future might bring.

I hugged him, "Then you cry. You apologize. You tell your honest feelings and let the other party cry too... It may hurt, but you will never find love if you don't allow yourself to be hurt."

"... Thanks mom." He muttered.

I don't think he is totally convinced... But that's fine. He'll learn with time... And I'll be here to support him, no matter what.

dummycake

"Well... You don't." I smile at him and ruffle his hair.

"You... Don't?" He was unsurprisingly confused.

"You don't." I nodded, "You try it out. Love is too complicated to simply be understood by thoughts alone.
"You have to feel it. You have to try it. You have to let yourself experience it.
"How do you know if you're in love? Well... If you have dated for long enough and think you wanna be with that person for the rest of your life, then you're probably in love."

"... But what if I'm not in love?" He asked, clearly troubled about what the future might bring.

I hugged him, "Then you cry. You apologize. You tell your honest feelings and let the other party cry too... It may hurt, but you will never find love if you don't allow yourself to be hurt."

"... Thanks mom." He muttered.

I don't think he is totally convinced... But that's fine. He'll learn with time... And I'll be here to support him, no matter what.
I loved all of your submissions :)

dummycake

Thanks! It was fun to write for them!

It's nice when the prompt gives me a good idea for a serious short story, but if I get none, to comedy we go! \(^^)/
And it's nice to read all of them.
I will try to write more, I got a burst inspiration and wrote 6 of them and now I don't really have any more ideas :-)

Hasu_Riri

He asks:

I took a sec to wrap my head around why I was getting bombarded by these bizarre queries. But then, there he was, my offspring, cruising through life in the fast lane to cluelessness. Chip off the old block, they say.

So, I stood there, pondering whether to throw him a bone of amusement or channel my inner philosopher for kicks. And then, with a perfectly straight face, I laid it down, "Can't predict when you'll fall, kid," pausing like I was about to drop some ancient wisdom. "But you sure can tell when you've landed," I added, feeling like a wise sage of romance novels.

Of course, he counters with his brilliant take on things, "What should I even know? Mom and I just had a little accident, and boom, you popped up." I shot back with a playful tone, imagining the look on her face if she ever caught wind of this convo. Yeah, couch-surfing for sure tonight.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus

He asks:

I'd probably lean forward and fiddle with my bookmark or my hair and say, "Did you ask your mother?"

"Yes, she told me to ask you."

Fuck.

"Mmh, well if you really want to know close the door and sit down."

"You see son love is not liking a woman for her nice body, or getting together because others feel like you'd make a good couple.

Love is when someone has gotten to know extremely personally and opened up in a equal regard, and whether it is a romantic or a brotherly love you will have your ups and downs.

You might even want to kill said person from time to time, you will argue, you will have some petty moments, and sometimes you'll find yourself imaging about your life without that person in it.

And if you realize that a major part of your life and experiences has happened with them and you'd feel empty without them that is when you know you're in love.

Son, people you love will make you want to change for the better. You'll think about the decisions you've made and are going make for them, and despite being driven crazy by them half the time there isn't nothing in the world you wouldn't do for them.

That is what love is."

Then my little Hellion would lean forward hopefully understanding, but then he'd show a gremlin smile and run off to his mother saying,

"Hey Mom, did you ever want to kill Dad?"

The little shit.