Fixing Other People's Work (imma do it)

Dieter

the Writer
Do you... have any sort of qualifications to be judging other writers' works? Even that question is odd to ask, because based on your profile you haven't posted any stories. I mean no disrespect, this just comes off as rather rude to the hard work of the people who post entire novels on this site.

On the other hand, you are fully entitled to write what you want here, whether it's an original story or a parody/re-write. Just a friendly piece of advice, make sure you're allowed to write the material. Some authors have copyrights, and might not take too kindly to this sort of thing.
Here's my qualification:
Screenshot_29.jpg
Also, not a rude question at all. I post my work under different pseudonyms, so dm me if you want a link to one of em (if that counts for anything). As for copyright, I don't care. If it makes you feel better, I don't plan on monetizing it. It's also gonna be under 'fanfic'.
As for 'might come off as a little rude', yes for some authors it will—But so what? It's dubious, not unethical.
overindulgence in escapism
Webnovels are a mix bag of serious & escapist work. It's only a problem I complain about when its done at the detriment of the story. You feel me?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That was how I started out as well. Then, I made the mistake of procreating.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer

History repeats itself
That was real the entire time?! I thought it was a shitpost!

I should do the same. Found a small gem that did a 180 on the MC by turning him into a little bitch in a span of 2 sentences. Literally the whole point of the story was for him not to be a pushover.

laccoff_mawning

Remember, support IS the hardest role to play.
slightly off-topic, but somewhat relevant comment to this:

One thing that irks me is how nobody gets how OP support is. Both in novels and the authors. I don't like worldbuilding where everyone is an idiot that thinks support is useless, since anyone with two brain cells could figure out the use of it.

But you know what makes this worse? When an author writing about this fails to realise the power of support as well. Good support is often subtle, and much like the name suggets, often doesn't take the spotlight, giving that role to someone else. Yet how many authors try and put their support MC into the spotlight of everyone else's lives?

Support is a super-powerful role, yet also acts subtly, so that you don't realise how powerful it is. I guess it's difficult to get a good balance of the two.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Like corty I was a little worried about ending up on some kind of list.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
Nothing motivates me more to write than to read trash webnovels.

SH, NU, RR, WN—whatever. Mediocrity is everywhere. This isn’t news or an unpopular opinion. Everyone’s familiar with Sturgeon’s Law (90% of everything’s crap). Sometimes you dig up gold, but when do, not all of it is gold. Most of it’s shit—which isn’t good for my mental health, because I, for some reason, can’t stop reading trash. It’s a habit, it’s an addiction, it’s what turns me on.

Overused tropes, cliches, cardboard cut-out characters, lack of originality, failure to live up to potential, needless fillers, bloated descriptions to reach a word-count, overindulgence in escapism or power-fantasy, etc. I don’t need to list it all out. You all know. You all also know the disappointment one feels, when, after investing 30 chapters into boring filler, something so stupid happens that you have to drop the story, annoyed as if betrayed by the author for having led you by the nose.

Once you’ve read webnovels long enough, a voice starts to grow in you, a whisper at first, soon yelling at you, indignant: ‘I can write better than this—trash! Jesus Christ, just do it already!’ And so you do it—if you’re me. That’s how I got into writing at least, 5 years ago. I still write, and I’ve gotten a lot better than my former self (an arrogant amateur, who thought he was good? Pah!), but I still haven’t done the one thing that got me into writing in the first place: which are the mistakes, still sticking out like a sore thumb, in the stories I read as a teen.

So I’m going to do what the title says. I’m going to rewrite the stories that’ve failed to live up to their potential.

It’s not a bad idea if you give it some thought. By doing this, I’ll improve, I’ll destress, I’ll actually pump out chapters (bye-bye decision paralysis!), and the harsh feedback (if they do come) won’t phase me much since I won’t have as much personal investment behind it, and I’ll actually learn something and improve. The only cons I see is that, it’s not very flattering to have your work ‘corrected’, even if you yourself admit that your work is jaded. So what to do? I’m going to correct the works of authors who can’t read english. It’s that simple.

On my journey to inner-peace, I’m going to start off with The Novel’s Extra. Why? Mainly because I have notes lying around for it. And I’m about to read it for the 3rd time. Also, I’ve read the fanfics, and also a few derivatives (The Author’s POV, for example, explicitly admits to being heavily inspired by it and it shows), among other reasons.

If y’all have something against me for this, just know that, if you think about it, I’m making the world a better place 👍.

Good luck you damn hero :blob_salute:

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Go forth and make your own version... just don't overwrite the original, so people can remember both versions... and compare who's the better one.

If you'd like to ghost for me, it's open. The chicks don't bite, they just flap their wings a bit when angry. And peck a lot.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
to be fair, I've done a couple of vengeful stories like that before. The one that sticks out in my mind the most was after my Ex-gf's mother made me watch twilight.
I see why she is now your Ex-GF. I'd be hard-pressed to remain married if my wife had done that to me.

Notadate

Indeed. There is a Mrs. Eldritch. Married 24. Together for 30.
Well, damn. I kinda wish I was married, a few days ago I was thinking ‘I can be a Dad’ I want to have kids, I want little balls of chaos
Now this thought process is making me sad

Dieter

the Writer
Go forth and make your own version... just don't overwrite the original, so people can remember both versions... and compare who's the better one.

If you'd like to ghost for me, it's open. The chicks don't bite, they just flap their wings a bit when angry. And peck a lot.
That's the plan anyways. But hard to say how it'll turn out, because alot of characters w interesting potential don't get enough screentime if at all in the original. Giving them limelight would mean stretching the plot significantly and altering the plot.

ACertainPassingUser

slightly off-topic, but somewhat relevant comment to this:

One thing that irks me is how nobody gets how OP support is. Both in novels and the authors. I don't like worldbuilding where everyone is an idiot that thinks support is useless, since anyone with two brain cells could figure out the use of it.

But you know what makes this worse? When an author writing about this fails to realise the power of support as well. Good support is often subtle, and much like the name suggets, often doesn't take the spotlight, giving that role to someone else. Yet how many authors try and put their support MC into the spotlight of everyone else's lives?

Support is a super-powerful role, yet also acts subtly, so that you don't realise how powerful it is. I guess it's difficult to get a good balance of the two.
It boils down to the difference between "Support role in-game like RPG/FPS/MOBA" and "Support profession in Real Life".

And Support in Novels is trying to combine the weakness of both with barely the advantage of any of them.