Flourish vs plot

Reisinling

Basically, how do you know when you write too much flourish that doesn't move plot forward?
It is nice in that it allows users to understand the world/feelings/situation better... but then, I do remember skipping some descriptions of nature and stuff when reading lots and similar

Reisinling

Curious. What do you mean by flourish?
"Curious. What so you mean by flourish?" asked SeaHiatus

vs.

SeaHiatus sat on his toilet seat, smirking. "Another post by that snek, how amusing." But what does he mean? He furrowed his brows, while feeling his poop coming out, hard mental exercise indeed helped in digestion! Just in case he decided to ask for clarification- "Curious. What do you mean by fuck..." .. stupid autocorrect "Flourish" - here, done! Post reply! He smiled, done with both tasks.

(I was told to add "No homo" at the end, just in case)

Last edited:

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

vs.

SeaHiatus sat on his toilet seat, smirking. "Another post by that snek, how amusing." But what does he mean? He furrowed his brows, while feeling his poop coming out, hard mental exercise indeed helped in digestion! Just in case he decided to ask for clarification- "Curious. What do you mean by fuck..." .. stupid autocorrect "Flourish" - here, done! Post reply! He smiled, done with both tasks.
lol.....

D

Deleted member 45782

I see. Thought it meant long explanations that began to info dump on you. Thanks for a clearer explanation lol.
Conciseness?

One thing I do is make sentence paragraphs. Each sentence is a paragraph, but it helps me in a way like skipping lines in a rough draft on paper. Makes it easier to see what sentence doesn't fit right and needs to be snipped. But after that, I gotta join those sentences to make a paragraph again. Do Not let it stay as sentence paragraphs.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Oh my! I think you should submit a poem for my collection:

atgongumerki

Answer: When you get the feeling that a lot less happened in this chapter compared to previous chapters.

Explanation:
I think as long as you stay consistent there is no too much or too little flourish.

Some readers like a lot, some readers like none. If you stay consistent, your current readers will continue to not be annoyed by your novel's pace.

Is my theory.

Example:
For me personally. Having multiple paragraphs without anything happening is boring, so I start to skip all flourish and only read the direct speech until I am completely confused and either reread (if what I read was intriguing) or drop the novel (if it was not).

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Ai-chan is probably missing something. But isn't that called 'flushing' instead of 'flourish'?

D

Deleted member 45782

Flush. Floss. Flourish.
Repeat after me. :D
A 1000 times later...
We have cultivated enough to ascend by the power of flush floss flourish.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.

vs.

That was the best comment I've read all week
Basically, how do you know when you write too much flourish that doesn't move plot forward?
It is nice in that it allows users to understand the world/feelings/situation better... but then, I do remember skipping some descriptions of nature and stuff when reading lots and similar
My guess is, put yourself as a reader (no shit). Is this information about this character's feelings and thoughts important? If so, how much is it is important, if you were a reader, which part would you just scroll to... This is basic but I'm a newbie uwu

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
The king of flourishes with plot is Stephen King. You can move it forward if you change the make of the voice in your narration. I think flourish is very important - although in context of webnovels, I'm no expert.

But without it, every novel sounds the same. For example, you can't elicit horror into a person's mind without concentrating on certain points of the happenings. Sometimes you want to drive home a fixed idea, a number, or a weapon, or what brings out a sensation among his readers. in Dreamcatcher, he has something called (to continue the toilet-humour here) shit-weasels. While reading it, I thought that this was too much information. And yet, for a few weeks after finishing the book, every little stomach ache had something of his descriptions in the back of my mind. And I was scared shitless.

Then, there are other authors who want to link the plot to things in the world. For them the plot is a device, and their actual ideas lie in between, where themes are exposited. Now, readers might not be forgiving about it. There's always risk to writing certain ways. If you challenge your readers, it is most likely that they will not accept it. If they choose to read your books while sleeping, and it is something extremely complex, they will most likely put it down.

If one is adding themes in flourishes, it is better to have a complete story. With an episodic release schedule, it is unlikely that they will have chance to get resolved, and from the general perception of my experiment here, it seems this is true. Themes, until resolved, do not go across to readers.

Stories are more than plots, but a very good story is always about the plot, even when there is flourish.

SootShade

I try to always think of what the purpose is for that bit of text being there is. I think as long as there is one, then it's probably fine, but if I can't think of a reason for a piece of description to exist then it goes. If it's longer than it needs to be to fulfill its purpose, then I might try to cut it down, and if it doesn't fulfill the purpose well then I'll try to reword it.

It's good if it helps make a character recognizable or shows something about their personality. Same for if it reveals something about the setting, or makes it feel more alive. Maybe a few lines of extra description just to surround a single plot relevant detail works, if you don't want it to stand out immediately. The reason could also be just that it's interesting in itself, even if that doesn't play any role in the story past that point.

So there's surely quite a wide range of what works, and the limit probably depends on how good you are at writing it; I tend to spend a lot of time detailing my characters' emotions and thoughts, because that's what I think I'm good at, whilst leaving visual descriptions quite light, because I just have very little sense for design. And obviously, at some point you'll start getting diminishing returns, if you just keep piling on.