For those authors with a fear of failure

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carlo.jpg

bigbear51

Pfft authors are just wimps. Fuck your self esteem. In the words of the great Katt Williams:
how the hell am I supposed to be responsible for how you feel about yourself, simple bitch?

I know words can hurt but goddamn. Grow a pair. I always say if you're so sensitive that some rancid, hateful comments from 30 year old fatties living in their parent's basements can hurt you...then the internet is no place for you, my friend

Ps: I'm using "you" here as a general term. In case It wasnt clear.

This.
I mean you have a job to do and you fail, that's also on you. Within reason. Its a job, you have to meet certain expectations and requirements.

But again, if you're gonna have your whole outlook on life ruined by somone else's disappointment in you, then you cant exactly blame others for your own weak mentality. Eventually you gotta either nut up or shut up. Its a cold world out there, Papi.
This is kind of rich coming from the guy who decided insulting me was the first thing to do to react to my criticizing your idea. Even more so when said idea was designed because said authors are wimps.

D

Deleted member 45782

Well, failing your investors is a lot less depressing than getting your self esteem bashed, but sure.
Pretty sure its the opposite, if not more. Someone could lose their job or be seriously reprimanded over it. Which could mean loss of income and impact negatively how others view them in workplace...and that can defnitely contribute to how their self esteem falls too.

I say thats more depressing but sure.

Its more direct than anonymous internet readers who writers will probably never meet or interact with much anyway.

But yes, if you think of failing all the time, you more likely to fail. There are others who keep pushing and failed many times and they succeeded eventually. If it doesn't hurt to try, why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This is kind of rich coming from the guy who decided insulting me was the first thing to do to react to my criticizing your idea. Even more so when said idea was designed because said authors are wimps.
You are gonna have to be specific here. Anyway, being bitchy you didnt like whatever Idea i had and being emotionally crippled by the fact are too entirely different things. Just cuz I dont like that a person disagrees with me on some idea, doesnt mean I'm going to go cry about and be all, "WHY DOESNT HE LIKE ME?"

bigbear51

You are gonna have to be specific here. Anyway, being bitchy you didnt like whatever Idea i had and being emotionally crippled by the fact are too entirely different things. Just cuz I dont like that a person disagrees with me on some idea, doesnt mean I'm going to go cry about and be all, "WHY DOESNT HE LIKE ME?"

Probably because you went out and acted like a complete bitch on ONE reply. Including using vocabulary that would get people banned. But of course it's apparently okay on this site because people happen to like the shit you spew. People were fine with those response of you insulting me personally when all I did was say the idea was bad. Because again, you're being a complete hypocrite for not caring about so-called haters and trolls, while also wanting to take away a system because of said people. That's not ignoring them.

But since we're on a thread where we're talking about some fear of failure. People gotta go around acting all tough about how the apparent trolls of this site don't bother them or that other people's opinion don't matter. Meanwhile, we get 50 fucking threads about people crying and whining about getting one single 1 star. Because they apparently don't give "real feedback" as people can't just leave them without saying anything. You know what else also doesn't give people any actual critique? Favorites. But literally no one says anything about they don't do anything for the writers or even the readers for that matter.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
People gotta go around acting all tough about how the apparent trolls of this site don't bother them or that other people's opinion don't matter.
I rather the silent trolls here than the loud ones on Royal Road who don’t bother to think, hey, maybe I’m not the demographic this was targeted toward or maybe I’ve just outgrown it by now. The ones on Royal Road tend to take it upon themselves to be dicks for the sake of being dicks most of the times.
You know what else also doesn't give people any actual critique? Favorites. But literally no one says anything about they don't do anything for the writers or even the readers for that matter.
Favorites do give indirect feedback though for the silent readers who like to remain anonymous. It lets the author know whether something they did in a particular chapter worked well or not and how it was received by readers. Over time, the discrepancy between number of favorites in each chapter shows you which chapters were stronger and more impactful and let’s you know which chapters might have needed more work.

Last edited:

bigbear51

Favorites do give indirect feedback though for the silent readers who like to remain anonymous. It lets the author know whether something they did in a particular chapter worked well or not and how it was received by readers. Over time, the discrepancy between number of favorites in each chapter shows you which chapters were stronger and more impactful and let’s you know which chapters might have needed more work.
Not really seeing as not every person will read every chapter. That creates an imbalance where early chapter gets more favorites than later one. By that logic, as long as the view falloff isn't massive. People can assume they stories are still being followed by the readers.

And the only reason anyone says there's silent trolls is to make themselves feel better that some random person on the internet didn't like their story. That happens every time someone decide to start yet another thread about getting ONE single bad rating and everyone just goes patting them on the preverbal head like they're some kindergartener telling them it's just mean little trolls. It's honestly pathetic.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Not really seeing as not every person will read every chapter. That creates an imbalance where early chapter gets more favorites than later one. By that logic, as long as the view falloff isn't massive. People can assume they stories are still being followed by the readers.

And the only reason anyone says there's silent trolls is to make themselves feel better that some random person on the internet didn't like their story. That happens every time someone decide to start yet another thread about getting ONE single bad rating and everyone just goes patting them on the preverbal head like they're some kindergartener telling them it's just mean little trolls. It's honestly pathetic.
The effect you’re referencing is only true for shorter stories in the first set of chapters. For stories with many chapters, you tend to see the favourites average out and certain chapters receive more favourites than others.

As for silent trolls, there actually are a good amount of them. They end up making multiple accounts and dish out one stars to every single story they see while privating their accounts. If they weren’t trolls, they wouldn’t bother to private their account.

There are even some who give out the rating as soon as they see a tag they don’t like without bothering to read the story. It’s not uncommon at all. Sometimes, if they really don’t like just one of the author’s stories, they’ll take it upon themselves to go through every story they’ve ever written and drop a one star rating without caring what the story is about at all.

bigbear51

As for silent trolls, there actually are a good amount of them. They end up making multiple accounts and dish out one stars to every single story they see while privating their accounts. If they weren’t trolls, they wouldn’t bother to private their account.
This seems more for conjecture than an actual point. Especially since I've ran into plenty of accounts that were private that otherwise acted normally on stories, such as commenting enjoyment or things related to the plot. Honestly, the thought that people choosing to make their account makes them trolls is laughable.

my biggest failure is making my story boring enough, i don't feel like continuing it ever.

in this case, i just have to scrap it and start anew. learning from my past mistakes.

as for writing for an audience, i just feel it's not for me. end of story.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
This seems more for conjecture than an actual point. Especially since I've ran into plenty of accounts that were private that otherwise acted normally on stories, such as commenting enjoyment or things related to the plot. Honestly, the thought that people choosing to make their account makes them trolls is laughable.
I never said all private accounts are trolls. I’m simply indicating a lot of troll accounts will set their accounts to private. You won’t see the account creation date either that way making it impossible to know if they are for sure a freshly set up troll account. I have seen it happen where consecutive private accounts suddenly show up in succession. They appear on multiple fictions recent readers at about the same time and 1 stars start raining down consecutively on those fictions. Though there are some troll accounts that end up mixing in two and three stars as well to not get caught since most only look out for 1 star ratings.

Anyway if you really think it doesn’t happen you’d be naive. It’s something that happens quite frequently on Webnovel for example where authors do it to tear down competitors. But in Webnovel’s case reviews can just be deleted Willy Nilly. Even Amazon has this sort of competitive nature to it. Same with Goodreads which is owned by Amazon. There’s a serious problem with Goodreads in that some authors are getting extorted by those 1 star review brigades.

Don’t believe it, here’s directly from Goodreads itself.

4FE31E6D-CA27-4E9D-B974-B813B68361E9.jpeg

It would be nice if at the very least you can see the creation dates for accounts even if the account is private.

When all these platforms have the same sorts of problems with reviews, it is but an inevitability for it to eventually reach ScribbleHub as well. As the platform grows and becomes larger, as too does the competition and also bad actors acting with ill natured intentions.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Probably because you went out and acted like a complete bitch on ONE reply. Including using vocabulary that would get people banned. But of course it's apparently okay on this site because people happen to like the shit you spew. People were fine with those response of you insulting me personally when all I did was say the idea was bad. Because again, you're being a complete hypocrite for not caring about so-called haters and trolls, while also wanting to take away a system because of said people. That's not ignoring them.

But since we're on a thread where we're talking about some fear of failure. People gotta go around acting all tough about how the apparent trolls of this site don't bother them or that other people's opinion don't matter. Meanwhile, we get 50 fucking threads about people crying and whining about getting one single 1 star. Because they apparently don't give "real feedback" as people can't just leave them without saying anything. You know what else also doesn't give people any actual critique? Favorites. But literally no one says anything about they don't do anything for the writers or even the readers for that matter.
oh, that? Then you is dead wrong, my guy, i never attacked you personally. i very clearly said i have no problems with people poking holes in my ideas. The only problem i have is for people doing so but not providing anything of their own to replace my idea, or a way to improve it. You didn't provide a better idea, so i said, "you can poke a hole in this, but I'll have to call you a cunt if you do it without offering something yourself." Which i find entirely fair.

Its not something you were supposed to take seriously either, that cunt comment. But, eh, if i made you feel some type of way by saying it then i do apologize.

i talk very roughly here. People can misunderstand that and think I'm attacking them when I'm not. But next time focus on the whole comment instead of one or two lines. i find it very reasonable that i allow people to poke holes in my ideas, provided they offer something in return. And if anyone says that's NOT reasonable...imma call them a cunt! heh.

Also, wanting a better feedback system has nothing to do with not caring about trolls. Are you gonna stand there and cry cuz i called your novel trash? FInd, but that's you being a baby. Grow up, maybe? Now to be fair, i would also be a cunt to just call the story trash and not be specific with how i came to that conclusion or offer ways to improve the story.

But just because i would be a cunt for saying that, doesn't mean you wouldn't be a baby for getting so depressed over what some random asshole over the internet says about you.

Dont get SAD over trolls. You don't need to ignore them entirely. i sure don't, not every single time. But i also wont spend the day moping that they didn't like what i wrote.

Just because you don't mind trolls, you're supposed to not want good feedback? You're supposed to not want a way to keep them from simply talking shit? That don't sound right, my guy. There's nothing hypocritical about what i said then or now. Ya merely havent read what i said well enough, or thought it all the way through.

Anyway, yeah the whole Favorite thing seems really useless. I mean i guess it does show you which chapters people like most, to some extent? And so it gives you an idea on what kind of content to write? But that's a stretch. I always thought it was more so readers can quickly go back and re-read their favorite chapters. For example, on Youtube i use Likes as bookmarks. I can quickly find videos i like by going to the appropriate section. It saves all those liked videos. So its good for that, bookmarking.

Is that not something we can do here? I don't really fiddle with things so i don't really know.

bigbear51

oh, that? Then you is dead wrong, my guy, i never attacked you personally. i very clearly said i have no problems with people poking holes in my ideas. The only problem i have is for people doing so but not providing anything of their own to replace my idea, or a way to improve it. You didn't provide a better idea, so i said, "you can poke a hole in this, but I'll have to call you a cunt if you do it without offering something yourself." Which i find entirely fair.

Its not something you were supposed to take seriously either, that cunt comment. But, eh, if i made you feel some type of way by saying it then i do apologize.

i talk very roughly here. People can misunderstand that and think I'm attacking them when I'm not. But next time focus on the whole comment instead of one or two lines. i find it very reasonable that i allow people to poke holes in my ideas, provided they offer something in return. And if anyone says that's NOT reasonable...imma call them a cunt! heh.

Also, wanting a better feedback system has nothing to do with not caring about trolls. Are you gonna stand there and cry cuz i called your novel trash? FInd, but that's you being a baby. Grow up, maybe? Now to be fair, i would also be a cunt to just call the story trash and not be specific with how i came to that conclusion or offer ways to improve the story.

But just because i would be a cunt for saying that, doesn't mean you wouldn't be a baby for getting so depressed over what some random asshole over the internet says about you.

Dont get SAD over trolls. You don't need to ignore them entirely. i sure don't, not every single time. But i also wont spend the day moping that they didn't like what i wrote.

Just because you don't mind trolls, you're supposed to not want good feedback? You're supposed to not want a way to keep them from simply talking shit? That don't sound right, my guy. There's nothing hypocritical about what i said then or now. Ya merely havent read what i said well enough, or thought it all the way through.

Anyway, yeah the whole Favorite thing seems really useless. I mean i guess it does show you which chapters people like most, to some extent? And so it gives you an idea on what kind of content to write? But that's a stretch. I always thought it was more so readers can quickly go back and re-read their favorite chapters. For example, on Youtube i use Likes as bookmarks. I can quickly find videos i like by going to the appropriate section. It saves all those liked videos. So its good for that, bookmarking.

Is that not something we can do here? I don't really fiddle with things so i don't really know.
I mean, it is pretty hypocritical when you've complained about people talking like assholes in comments when you literally do the same thing here. Along with also calling me as some author who doesn't care about getting proper feedback that you had to walk back on because you didn't bother to look at anything I did.

And people liked that shit. I'm glad those assholes aren't fucking around here anymore. Especially they somehow have the gall to someone else in that tread toxic. When they literally liked the biggest asshole there.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I mean, it is pretty hypocritical when you've complained about people talking like assholes in comments when you literally do the same thing here. Along with also calling me as some author who doesn't care about getting proper feedback that you had to walk back on because you didn't bother to look at anything I did.

And people liked that shit. I'm glad those assholes aren't fucking around here anymore. Especially they somehow have the gall to someone else in that tread toxic. When they literally liked the biggest asshole there.
No, theres a difference between being a right cunt unnecessarily, and being a straightforward guy who cusses alot. I state my opinions clearly, and I use rough language, but I'm rarely an asshole.

Most of my comments here arent even serious comments

MerCurry

I like to remind people often that LOTR took a decade or something for it to catch on in the West. And now it's a scared, milked cow.

Believe it or not, we're pretty special compared to how things used to go (where authors literally died before their work got noticed and acclaimed; and here we are complaining about getting 100 views and 5 follows).