Forum blog

• Thread starter Deleted member 5560
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5560

Jokily made a status update on this, but I guess I'll suggest it for real. I'd like it if the SHF had a blog feature like NUF. Specifically the two things I would like to see from it:
  1. The larger character count. 420 (nice) characters is fine for a status update, but a blog would allow for more extrapolated posting from authors.
  2. The ability to somehow private lock unique blog posts, sort of like the friendslisting feature from LiveJournal, restricting viewing and/or commenting on blogs to only following, followers, and/or mutuals.
"Just make a thread": I feel like threads are meant specifically for open discussion, but a blog will allow authors to keep a more focused discussion, especially with the ability to delete comments like on stories. The option to disable comments altogether would also be nice, if authors specifically want to use the blog for personal but public, transparent notations on projects, NOT for discussion with readers.

I know there's another suggestion here asking for story blogs, but I am asking for a blog feature on the forum, not ones for individual stories.

Wohendum-Bluu

When Blue Just Isn't Quite Blue Enough
Jokily made a status update on this, but I guess I'll suggest it for real. I'd like it if the SHF had a blog feature like NUF. Specifically the two things I would like to see from it:
  1. The larger character count. 420 (nice) characters is fine for a status update, but a blog would allow for more extrapolated posting from authors.
  2. The ability to somehow private lock unique blog posts, sort of like the friendslisting feature from LiveJournal, restricting viewing and/or commenting on blogs to only following, followers, and/or mutuals.
"Just make a thread": I feel like threads are meant specifically for open discussion, but a blog will allow authors to keep a more focused discussion, especially with the ability to delete comments like on stories. The option to disable comments altogether would also be nice, if authors specifically want to use the blog for personal but public, transparent notations on projects, NOT for discussion with readers.

I know there's another suggestion here asking for story blogs, but I am asking for a blog feature on the forum, not ones for individual stories.
I actually think the character count at 420 is kinda small but it serves its purpose. The private locking posts doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I think it should be that people who are blocked, or ignored in SH's case, can't comment on it or read it but that to me is the only kind of inclusiveness that should be added

Otherwise tho, this is an awesome idea. Don't kno if I would use it mysef but I would mighty interested to read others perspectives on whatever else they wanted to detail on.

D

Deleted member 5560

The private locking posts doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I think it should be that people who are blocked, or ignored in SH's case, can't comment on it or read it but that to me is the only kind of inclusiveness that should be added
I agree people who are on ignore shouldn't be able to/see comment, that's a good point to bring up.

Can you elaborate on why you think a "friends-only" option for blogs is a bad idea? I'm curious.

Wohendum-Bluu

I agree people who are on ignore shouldn't be able to/see comment, that's a good point to bring up.

Can you elaborate on why you think a "friends-only" option for blogs is a bad idea? I'm curious.
Because this isn't a social media site. It's a writing site. I think their should be a clear and distinct difference between the two. Going all social media to me is what ruined wattpad. I mean it has way worse problems now than it did back then (admittedly a lot of the social media things it had back then it doesnt even have anymore) but it to me was a major contributor.

D

Deleted member 5560

Because this isn't a social media site. It's a writing site. I think their should be a clear and distinct difference between the two. Going all social media to me is what ruined wattpad. I mean it has way worse problems now than it did back then (admittedly a lot of the social media things it had back then it doesnt even have anymore) but it to me was a major contributor.
I see. I suppose that's the fundamental difference. You're seeing it from a soc-med point of view, but I'm still seeing it from the point of view of authors discussing projects. I used the terms "friends-only" because it was the only comparable thing I had.

While a lot of people follow friends or at least friendly acquaintances, other people follow authors whose works they like or who they see as peers, and authors are often followed by readers of their work in turn. By allowing for the option to privatelock blog posts, if an author wanted to post a test chapter or a draft or open discussion on specific points on their ongoing stories, they could do so and furthermore, do so in a way where only people who follow them or whom they view as their peers can see and/or comment, rather than any and every random on the site who probably didn't even know they had a story, let alone have something useful to say about it.

Furthermore, while I respect that you don't want this to become a social media site, and I sort of agree, even if there was a feature like this, it wouldn't make SHF a social media site. It would make it a forum with a degree of self-moderation by users in private aspects. SHF famously has a mod drought, and the more features that allow for users to self-moderate, the better.

(Also, thank you for your input! I appreciate your view, but I don't think it will be issue just personally? As I think the general nature of the site means people will be more included to focus on writing discussions anyway, regardless of what features/mediums they're doing it through. Even with the twitter-style "status updates", most people use them to comment on their writing process.)

Wohendum-Bluu

I see. I suppose that's the fundamental difference. You're seeing it from a soc-med point of view, but I'm still seeing it from the point of view of authors discussing projects. I used the terms "friends-only" because it was the only comparable thing I had.

While a lot of people follow friends or at least friendly acquaintances, other people follow authors whose works they like or who they see as peers, and authors are often followed by readers of their work in turn. By allowing for the option to privatelock blog posts, if an author wanted to post a test chapter or a draft or open discussion on specific points on their ongoing stories, they could do so and furthermore, do so in a way where only people who follow them or whom they view as their peers can see and/or comment, rather than any and every random on the site who probably didn't even know they had a story, let alone have something useful to say about it.

Furthermore, while I respect that you don't want this to become a social media site, and I sort of agree, even if there was a feature like this, it wouldn't make SHF a social media site. It would make it a forum with a degree of self-moderation by users in private aspects. SHF famously has a mod drought, and the more features that allow for users to self-moderate, the better.

(Also, thank you for your input! I appreciate your view, but I don't think it will be issue just personally? As I think the general nature of the site means people will be more included to focus on writing discussions anyway, regardless of what features/mediums they're doing it through. Even with the twitter-style "status updates", most people use them to comment on their writing process.)
Well okay then. Makes sense. Nevermind then, I have no rebuttal on this. Seems like a pretty neat thing. Also, wasn't aware on the mod drought. I made this account not long after the site actually first began and then kinda "forgot" about SH so yeah kinda out of touch....🙃🙃🙃

Just started back a few weeks prior.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
fuck yeah why not. turn this twitter-esuqe status update to a full blown blogger site

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Mmmmmmm, I think I'd agree with you if it was a feature of the main site, but... Those are the forums, this is a social media site, technically speaking... I mean, why else would the forums even exist otherwise?

To use NUF Blogs as an example, if you create a blog and instantly delete it, you end up with a blog that is visible only to the people that have a direct link to it... Which by default are only the people that follow you. So you end up with a blog that is only visible to your followers... I don't see why that is a problem in any way.