Free feedback thread.

SailusGebel

Hii there! Could you take a look at my new book? I have attached the link below.

Thankyou your help is much appreciated
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished all the available chapters. Current last chapter is Chapter 2: The Chase

I will be honest; I can't say anything positive about your story. Not because your story is atrocious, but because it's average. There are a couple of mistakes\downsides, but other than that, everything is okay. I won't put it in the top 10 novels from my feedback threads, but it is solid. It's far from being a bad novel.

It is also hard to say anything positive since I read so little. Can I judge your character, worldbuilding, and plot based on 2 chapters? No. Well, actually, I can. Xander had some personality, and although it wasn't something unique, it was still better than some other cases I've seen. But besides this, sorry, nothing I can say.

Okay, as for the downsides, there isn't much. First of all, fix random capitalizations. I think this one is self-explanatory, and here are examples.

But to his helplessness, He could not move at all as his consciousness slipped away.
He knew he had to run, As there was no time to spare.
There is no point in fighting, As someone will die."

A typo. IIn the midst of the downpour, Again, self explanatory.

Chapter 2 has some kind of formatting issue. The spacing between the paragraphs is messed up.

You have some issues with repeating words.

Soon he could not even see what's even in front of him as he totally lost consciousness and submerged into darkness. This one is an example of completely redundant usage of the same words. Some of your repetitions are okay, but some of them don't make any sense.

Lastly, there is a fair share of weird phrases. Here are examples.

He sailed his cap, unveiling a youthful face as he gazed I have no idea what this means. Google didn't help.

Although Xander said those words ruthlessly, In the end facing death he was reluctant to die. First of all, there is a random capitalization. Secondly, you fudged up punctuation and overall phrased this weirdly. No need "for in the end."

Xander rolled on the wet ground and dangerously avoided the attack. Narrowly, barely, by a hair's breadth, and so on. All of it makes sense. Dangerously doesn't make sense.

This might look like a lot, but actually, a lot of these problems aren't as bad. Like a single typo or capitalization. You can easily fix it, same for formatting. The part that affects your writing is, in my opinion, the repetitions and weird phrases. This one has to be fixed.

I was able to read everything rather easily and comprehend everything. I rate this highly. But those weird phrases, repetitions, and overall feeling about your writing make it hard for me to say your novel is good. It's average, but a solid average.

And that's the end of my feedback. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

Twilightfall

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished all the available chapters. Current last chapter is Chapter 2: The Chase

I will be honest; I can't say anything positive about your story. Not because your story is atrocious, but because it's average. There are a couple of mistakes\downsides, but other than that, everything is okay. I won't put it in the top 10 novels from my feedback threads, but it is solid. It's far from being a bad novel.

It is also hard to say anything positive since I read so little. Can I judge your character, worldbuilding, and plot based on 2 chapters? No. Well, actually, I can. Xander had some personality, and although it wasn't something unique, it was still better than some other cases I've seen. But besides this, sorry, nothing I can say.

Okay, as for the downsides, there isn't much. First of all, fix random capitalizations. I think this one is self-explanatory, and here are examples.

But to his helplessness, He could not move at all as his consciousness slipped away.
He knew he had to run, As there was no time to spare.
There is no point in fighting, As someone will die."

A typo. IIn the midst of the downpour, Again, self explanatory.

Chapter 2 has some kind of formatting issue. The spacing between the paragraphs is messed up.

You have some issues with repeating words.

Soon he could not even see what's even in front of him as he totally lost consciousness and submerged into darkness. This one is an example of completely redundant usage of the same words. Some of your repetitions are okay, but some of them don't make any sense.

Lastly, there is a fair share of weird phrases. Here are examples.

He sailed his cap, unveiling a youthful face as he gazed I have no idea what this means. Google didn't help.

Although Xander said those words ruthlessly, In the end facing death he was reluctant to die. First of all, there is a random capitalization. Secondly, you fudged up punctuation and overall phrased this weirdly. No need "for in the end."

Xander rolled on the wet ground and dangerously avoided the attack. Narrowly, barely, by a hair's breadth, and so on. All of it makes sense. Dangerously doesn't make sense.

This might look like a lot, but actually, a lot of these problems aren't as bad. Like a single typo or capitalization. You can easily fix it, same for formatting. The part that affects your writing is, in my opinion, the repetitions and weird phrases. This one has to be fixed.

I was able to read everything rather easily and comprehend everything. I rate this highly. But those weird phrases, repetitions, and overall feeling about your writing make it hard for me to say your novel is good. It's average, but a solid average.

And that's the end of my feedback. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.
First of all, thankyou for your feedback.

I will make changes and correct the typos and formatting. As for repetitions and weird phrases, I will make changes in first 2 chapters and will make sure to keep that in mind while writing in future.

I have few questions in mind, I hope you can answer it for me.

First I want to ask about the synopsis, From a reader point of view, were you interested or hooked after reading the synopsis?
I am asking this because I personally feel that its lacking certain something, as for what it is I don't know. Maybe its too vague or it does not include info about main character?

My second question is about the chapter itself, Perhaps because I have written the story but while reading I feel that I am reading a script or textbook, I do not have immersive feeling that I have while reading other books first chapters. While reading I usually have clear picture in mind but its not the same case for my own story. Can you tell me if you experienced the same problem? Did you have clear picture in mind while reading the chapters?

My last question is about world building, At first while writing I thought about world development, At that time I was thinking whether I should introduce world from a narrator perspective or Should I reveal information about the world from main character perspective little by little. I found second option more interesting so I proceeded with that. So I wanted to ask if this approach is okay?

That's all the question I have!

Once again thankyou for your time and effort; Your review helped a lot😁😁

SailusGebel

As for repetitions and weird phrases, I will make changes in first 2 chapters and will make sure to keep that in mind while writing in future.
Don't overdo it. I'm a single reader, and I can be wrong. It would be best to ask others for feedback first, before changing those two things. If someone else agrees with me, and most importantly, if you agree with it, only then you should change it.
First I want to ask about the synopsis, From a reader point of view, were you interested or hooked after reading the synopsis?
I am asking this because I personally feel that its lacking certain something, as for what it is I don't know. Maybe its too vague or it does not include info about main character?
Before I answer your first question, I have to mention a couple things. This is my second feedback thread, and there was not a single story that I wanted to read in both feedback threads. Not a single one caught my attention or was interesting to me. Another thing I want to mention, as an author I freaking suck at writing synopsis. Answering the first question, I was not hooked. Does it mean your synopsis is bad? I actually don't think it was bad. Your story is simply not my cup of tea.

If I had to mention something, and make a guess of what other readers might want, then I would have to agree with you. Your synopsis lacks info about MC and lacks a goal. Instead of mentioning questions, write what MC wants to do. But before you decide to change synopsis look at what I mentioned before, and think hard whether you should follow my advice or not. I would once again say that you should ask for more opinions, and combine different opinions with your own to make a decision.
My second question is about the chapter itself, Perhaps because I have written the story but while reading I feel that I am reading a script or textbook, I do not have immersive feeling that I have while reading other books first chapters. While reading I usually have clear picture in mind but its not the same case for my own story. Can you tell me if you experienced the same problem? Did you have clear picture in mind while reading the chapters?
:blob_hmm_two: I don't think it looks like a script or textbook. I was able to have a somewhat clear picture. But if I had to guess why that happens, it is because you don't have enough descriptions. Important note!!! It doesn't mean that you have to write large paragraphs, describing everything. I mean adding a couple more sentences here and there when you need to set up a scene.

To give an example.
Xander stepped into the repository, his eyes darting around the vast space. Here is where you can add one or two sentences describing how the building looks like. I mean, the basic structure. How it is big and vast, the color of the walls or something. Without going in-depth. Maybe mention how many people are there? Or maybe mention lighting? You know, since his eyes are darting, add some brief detail.

He adjusted his cap and glanced around seriously. And here is where you can also add a couple sentences, describing minute details, going in-depth. This part The vast expanse of artifacts and ruins parts was displayed orderly within glass cases. Each case contained information about the displayed item, such as when it was found and what it was. isn't big enough, I think, and it's not what I mean.

Another example of what I mean. Describing an old guard is probably unnecessary, leave everything as is. But describing where something important happens is important. And I will repeat myself again, you don't have to spend 200 words on a single description, but it shouldn't be one short sentence either.
My last question is about world building, At first while writing I thought about world development, At that time I was thinking whether I should introduce world from a narrator perspective or Should I reveal information about the world from main character perspective little by little. I found second option more interesting so I proceeded with that. So I wanted to ask if this approach is okay?
In my opinion, there is no right answer to this. The reason for that is because different approaches simply attract different readers. You can info dump, and it will repel some readers, while attracting different type of readers. I would say you should adjust the way you write based on your goals.

Twilightfall

Don't overdo it. I'm a single reader, and I can be wrong. It would be best to ask others for feedback first, before changing those two things. If someone else agrees with me, and most importantly, if you agree with it, only then you should change it.

Before I answer your first question, I have to mention a couple things. This is my second feedback thread, and there was not a single story that I wanted to read in both feedback threads. Not a single one caught my attention or was interesting to me. Another thing I want to mention, as an author I freaking suck at writing synopsis. Answering the first question, I was not hooked. Does it mean your synopsis is bad? I actually don't think it was bad. Your story is simply not my cup of tea.

If I had to mention something, and make a guess of what other readers might want, then I would have to agree with you. Your synopsis lacks info about MC and lacks a goal. Instead of mentioning questions, write what MC wants to do. But before you decide to change synopsis look at what I mentioned before, and think hard whether you should follow my advice or not. I would once again say that you should ask for more opinions, and combine different opinions with your own to make a decision.

:blob_hmm_two: I don't think it looks like a script or textbook. I was able to have a somewhat clear picture. But if I had to guess why that happens, it is because you don't have enough descriptions. Important note!!! It doesn't mean that you have to write large paragraphs, describing everything. I mean adding a couple more sentences here and there when you need to set up a scene.

To give an example.
Xander stepped into the repository, his eyes darting around the vast space. Here is where you can add one or two sentences describing how the building looks like. I mean, the basic structure. How it is big and vast, the color of the walls or something. Without going in-depth. Maybe mention how many people are there? Or maybe mention lighting? You know, since his eyes are darting, add some brief detail.

He adjusted his cap and glanced around seriously. And here is where you can also add a couple sentences, describing minute details, going in-depth. This part The vast expanse of artifacts and ruins parts was displayed orderly within glass cases. Each case contained information about the displayed item, such as when it was found and what it was. isn't big enough, I think, and it's not what I mean.

Another example of what I mean. Describing an old guard is probably unnecessary, leave everything as is. But describing where something important happens is important. And I will repeat myself again, you don't have to spend 200 words on a single description, but it shouldn't be one short sentence either.

In my opinion, there is no right answer to this. The reason for that is because different approaches simply attract different readers. You can info dump, and it will repel some readers, while attracting different type of readers. I would say you should adjust the way you write based on your goals.
Okay, I'll listen to your suggestion and ask for more opinion and at same time will work on descriptions.

Thank you!

SailusGebel

Hello! Soooo, this is the case... I don't know where I got this immense confidence (more of blind faith) of mine in terms of writing but deep down I know I lack skills sooooo... Can you give me that one big blow that would made me quit writing with peace of mind? Thank you in advance hehehe. You can just post your most brutal review in this thread! Thank you with all my heart.

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 3: Subtle Changes (Part 3)

First of all, friendly advice. If you plan to continue writing and posting on SH, don't post chapters in quick succession. Try not to post more than 3 chapters a day, and try to spread your releases. If you post chapters in quick succession, your story will be flagged as spam, and it will be hidden from the latest updates for some time(usually less than a day). No latest updates = almost zero views. Deleting and reuploading chapters also considered as spam.

There isn't much to say here. I won't read it further since it's not my cup of tea, so I can't talk about the plot. Worldbuilding is the same. I can mention characters. I felt like they were slightly inconsistent, but this is me.

I'm not a fan of the way you write. It's not my cup of tea either, but it was easy to read and comprehend. The thing about your writing is that although I was able to understand everything, I can't stop myself from mentioning your choice of words and phrases you end up making.

Here is example of strange choice of words.

On the middle page of the magazine was a woman with misty eyes wearing a red bikini that merely covered her privates, and burned the eyes of these teenagers. The thing is, there are two meanings to this sentence due to your choice of word. Although both of them fit the context, it does not provide a great reading experience.

About two meanings. Since I saw how you use words, I assume that you meant here that her privates were BARELY covered, or that the only thing that was covered is her privates. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this, but it was really irritating for me personally. And this is a single example.

Here are two examples of weird phrases.

Yumi is still the same Yumi ten years ago in his eyes. I understand what you wanted to say, and I think you phrased this poorly.

Her lips biting at a red string connected to nowhere knows. This is the only thing I couldn't comprehend. What does it mean? I have no idea.

Tenses. It's rare, but sometimes your tenses shift. Stick to one tense.
She was kneeling on the white sand, which was a big contrast to her healthy tanned skin. She has hefty assets too! tense

Second to last thing.
They have been playmates since the age of five, so if there were some changes, he would and should be the first person to know a! At first, I thought this was a typo, but then I noticed it a couple more times. I have no idea what it is.

The last thing I want to mention is subjective preference in formatting. Personally, I hate when authors use double space between the paragraphs, especially when the said paragraphs and chapters are small. I won't deduct point for this, but I still wanted to mention it.

And that's the end of my feedback. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3 stars. Sorry, but I really don't know what else to say. I think it woule be better for you to ask questions if you have any. If I can, I will answer them.

Last edited:

breakofdawnstories

On the middle page of the magazine was a woman with misty eyes wearing a red bikini that merely covered her privates, and burned the eyes of these teenagers. The thing is, there are two meanings to this sentence due to your choice of word. Although both of them fit the context, it does not provide a great reading experience.

About two meanings. Since I saw how you use words, I assume that you meant here that her privates were BARELY covered, or that the only thing that was covered is her privates. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this, but it was really irritating for me personally. And this is a single example.
BARELY! HAHA! That was the word I wanted to use that time! I tried hard to recall it but (obviously) I failed and used MERELY instead. 🤣😂
Here are two examples of weird phrases.

Yumi is still the same Yumi ten years ago in his eyes. I understand what you wanted to say, and I think you phrased this poorly.

Her lips biting at a red string connected to nowhere knows. This is the only thing I couldn't comprehend. What does it mean? I have no idea.

Tenses. It's rare, but sometimes your tenses shift. Stick to one tense.
She was kneeling on the white sand, which was a big contrast to her healthy tanned skin. She has hefty assets too! tense
Thanks for this! I'm planning to edit my works this weekend soooo the parts that you mentioned are really helpful to meeee.
Second to last thing.
They have been playmates since the age of five, so if there were some changes, he would and should be the first person to know a! At first, I thought this was a typo, but then I noticed it a couple more times. I have no idea what it is
I will omit that word endings too in my grand edittttting daaay! It's supposed to differentiate the language that they are using against the official language of their country but I realize that its not really nice to read soooo I'll let it gooo.

Could you please explain further what are the inconsistencies you've seen in my characters? I honestly have a hard time making them consistent. I always have this problem were I forcefully bend them just so they can fit on my narrative.

Aaaand! Thank you! Thank you for sticking up until chapter 3 even thou it's not your cup of tea just to give me your review. I genuinely appreciate it. Your insigths are highly valuable to me and I know it will help me in the long run. Anddd, again, thank you for the tips! I will keep it in mind.

(Sorry for the grammar hehehuhuhu. English is my 3rd language 🥲😅)

Last edited:

SailusGebel

BARELY! HAHA! That was the word I wanted to use that time! I tried hard to recall it but (obviously) I failed and used MERELY instead. 🤣😂
Actually, I have troubles remembering English words. What I find helps me is reverso context, since it provides a lot os synonyms. But I also use thesaurus. Lastly, what can help you is Grammarly or some kind of AI writing thingy. In case of Grammarly, if you going to use it, don't mindlessly accept every "correction" made by Grammarly. I would advise to use it mostly as a typo checker, and thesaurus.

As for AI writing stuff, like ChatGPT and so on, again, be careful to not ruin your style. Don't use it for writing, use it as a tool for paraphrasing certain sentences or paragraphs, and taking only what you need. Don't simply put a sentence written by AI into your novel, but use words, maybe phrases. In other words, use it like thesaurus, or grammar checker.
Could you please explain further what are the inconsistencies you've seen in my characters? I honestly have a hard time making them consistent. I always have this problem were I forcefully bend them just so they can fit on my narrative.
I didn't feel a lot of inconsistencies, it can be just me, at least in the beginning. I've only read a couple of chapters, so taking my words this serious isn't optimal. I can't explain it properly, but after seeing your reply, if it is true, this is the problem. Making a character follow the plot forcefully will result in incongruity. I don't have any advice for this, so I think it would be better to start a new thread and ask other authors for help.

SailusGebel

Sorry for taking so long, I was busy and lazy, very lazy. Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished chapter 002 The Nail That Doesn’t Want To Stick Out

Friendly advice. If you plan to continue writing and posting on SH, don't post chapters in quick succession. Try not to post more than 3 chapters a day, and try to spread your releases. If you post chapters in quick succession, your story will be flagged as spam, and it will be hidden from the latest updates for some time(usually less than a day). No latest updates = almost zero views. Deleting and reuploading chapters also considered as spam.

The last thing I want to mention before the actual feedback is that you should not go and rewrite everything once you finish reading it. I state my subjective opinion, and it can be wrong. It would be good to ask for more feedback before you change anything.

And this is where the feedback starts. And I will start with something I usually don't mention at all. Your beginning. It is one of the worst starts that I've ever seen. There is literally nothing in the first two chapters.

Usually, I attribute this to me simply not liking the story. And although your story is not my cup of tea, it's not the case here. You spent around 80% of Chapter 2 describing MC's ability. At the same time, half of Chapter 1 had absolutely useless descriptions of food, exposition, and so on. The rest of Chapter 2 is exposition, and the rest of Chapter 1 is some useless stuff. Dialogues don't help in building any interest either. It's literally two chapters of nothing.

I will not do it since it will take a lot of space, but I can copy-paste huge chunks from the first two chapters that have no excuse to be in your story. Just to illustrate my point, a tiny example.

He opened a wrapped burger and took careful bites, since the fillings might slide out of the bun.
The burger had two patties and a fried egg, stuffed in a bun sliced for each patty, with the egg and dressing placed wherever convenient. Stable wasn’t how you would describe it.

This highlighted part is absolutely redundant, it doesn't add anything to the story, literally nothing. And what I personally think is that it doesn't matter how relevant this description would be in a hundred chapters or so. It doesn't matter if no one will read it, and it doesn't matter for a different reason.

The thing is, if I understand everything correctly, you constantly tell without showing. This is one of the worst possible starts. You tell, and you tell stuff that isn't interesting. The example with a burger is somewhat exaggerated, I agree. However, it is true for something that will matter further down the story.

Even MC's habits, something that can have a major impact on later chapters, are useless for one reason. There is nothing but exposition. You state his habit, then you describe an alcoholic drink, then you go on a tangent about how college students relax, then you describe his habit again, and it goes on.

No action to actually illustrate any of the points you mention, no interactions, nothing. Even the dialogues you write don't help at all. Partially, it's because of how you write, but the main problem is that those dialogue lines don't reinforce any of the statements you make via the Narrator's voice.
The part where the "mysterious" duo appears is absolutely the same. You CAN make a simple observation interesting. This isn't the scene's fault. You wrote it in a way that it became boring.

As for chapter two, I mentioned that it's almost exclusively about his power. Literally nothing happens, and it's bad. I am a reader, and I'm not hooked whatsoever.

A good question I want you to ask yourself. Why should a reader click on the next chapter button? Like, what do you consider a hook, a cliffhanger? The identity of that duo? Well, you stated who they are. What Jay is going to do? Same, you stated it. I should be interested in Jay? He has no personality and is boring as hell, at least for now. Like, what should force a reader to click on that button? Worldbuilding? Dialogues? MC's power?

I know this sounds and looks as if I am bashing you and beating the dead horse, but this is crucial. If you decide to follow my advice, almost everything else I will say will be useless, since you will have to rewrite everything.

Okay, since I said almost everything, I will mention something new, and something that will be useless. The way you write is not good. I mean, in terms of technicalities. I didn't notice a lot of problems with grammar, tenses, and so on. What I did notice is something that is hard to miss. Your paragraphing and formatting.

I understand what you did, and it is, in my opinion, extremely wrong to do it like this. You used formatting(extra spaces between the paragraphs) to separate scenes. The thing is, you should do it with your paragraphing. You should not write those super short paragraphs. Instead, you should write paragraphs of various lengths, sometimes long, sometimes short, depending on the scene and context.

Each paragraph acts kinda of like a shot in movies. Each time you write a new paragraph is like you make a cut. While this formatting when you spam space between the paragraphs is like a fade-out or something like that. Imagine how your novel looks like if you look at it by using my examples.

Obviously, this means that you have to rewrite everything, again.

And that's the end of my feedback. As I said, the grammar wasn't bad, I understood what you wrote, I comprehended it with relative ease. It's not unreadable. But it's really hard for me to call if good, or even okayish. Besides the acceptable grammar, there is no upsides. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 1.5 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

SailusGebel

The book is in my signature
Please give feedback here.
This is my first time writing something like this ... but i am proud of what i have in mind for the future of this story .. hope it reaches that point
Sorry for taking so long, I was busy and lazy, very lazy. Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 3: Absolute Despair

The story is not bad. But I can't call it good either since there are multiple things that bother me a lot.

First of all, random capitalizations. I will give one example. But She had not spoken yet,

I get why you do it a lot of the time, but me understanding why you do it doesn't turn it into a good solution. You have to find a different way to do it.

Sometimes, you forget to indicate where is the thought.

That’s right, why did I think that this time would be any different, after everything fate had thrown at me, how could I be so foolish? Here you forgot to use this ' '.

They shined like the brightest stars that questioned him, do u still have any fight left in you or was that all? Here, you mixed the narrator's voice with someone else's voice, probably Beth's. This "do u" part should be separated. More than that, it's not "u" it's "you."

“Tell me Ragnar, what do u choose?” This is okay since it's a dialogue line.

do u still have any fight left in you or was that all? This is not okay since there are no quotation marks.

Your paragraphing is really bad.
If you choose to die … then I promise to give you a painless death.

But…”
This example is one of the worst paragraph splits I've ever seen.

“The first thing you will face will be the Trial. These paragraphs are kinda of a common mistake of many writers. It's not that you can split them into a lot of small ones, in fact, you should split them, just not as much. Anyway, the reason why it's bad is because there are no in-betweens. When you separate a speech, you have to add something in between, otherwise, those pauses made by splitting paragraphs make it worse.

“The first thing you will face will be the Trial. It is different for everyone and is decided by the Realm as it deems fit. What we know is it is always something that tackles your deepest fears."

Taking a small breath, Beth continued. "Since the scope of the trials is so vast and even the number of trials different people face aren’t constant, there isn’t anything I can say about it that might be helpful for you. Other than… Good Luck."

I wrote something random to simply illustrate what I meant.

You do not split paragraphs on a whim. You should always balance long and short paragraphs.

More on that topic. Sometimes you split a perfectly normal description into two or more paragraphs. No reason to do it. Sometimes you split exposition, same as before. What I want to say is, first of all, you will probably have to rewrite parts of your story, second, don't be afraid of long paragraphs. You wrote a couple, and it looked more pleasing to the eye and was easier to read than those small splits. Balance it.

Moving back to dialogue lines.

His thoughts went like, When you use the narrator's voice, try to use different dialogue tags. That's because this highlighted part is not how your narrator usually talks. It's not me, it's how you wrote it. This doesn't suit your style.

Oh, and don't split the dialogue tag from a dialogue line. So, either you write it like this. His thoughts went like, ‘Do I really need to ask?

Or like this.His thoughts went like.

‘Do I really need to ask?

The last thing I want to say. Please use Grammarly, Google Edit, or something similar. Maybe chatGPT, I don't know. Use it to find small and obvious typos and mistakes. Don't rely on it too heavily, don't mindlessly accept every correction. Use it to find mistakes and typos.

And that's the end of my feedback. It wasn't bad, it was easy to read and comprehend. You had something going on, but honestly, the quality of your writing kinda ruins the impression and pleasure of reading. You shouldn't change everything based on my words only. Ask for feedback from other people, compare it with your own thoughts, and only then do adjustments. But there is an exception to this, the last point. Please use Grammarly or something like that. It will make your story look better.

As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 2.75 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

SailusGebel

Can you check my new story? I need feedback.
Link:
ScribbleHub
RoyalRoad
The RoyalRoad has more chapters, but you're free to check whichever.
Thank you in advance?
Sorry for taking so long, I was busy and lazy, very lazy. Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 2: The Intricacies of the Magus Academy System

Unlike my usual routine, I will start by mentioning the rating I would've given you if I were to rate your novel. I didn't and won't rate it, but if I were to do it, I would've given your novel a 3.25-3.5 stars.

The reason for that is I like how you write. It's easy to read and comprehend, and I rate this highly. I didn't notice anything that usually irk me, no weird phrases or badly done repetitions, no bad paragraphing, and so on. The way you write is good. I didn't notice any problems with worldbuilding, plot, or characters. I didn't read enough to say anything with certainty, but so far, it was okay. Not good, and not bad either.

It could've been a very short feedback if not for a couple of things I want to mention here. Before I get to it, I have to mention that your story is not my cup of tea. I'm not your target audience, and it is subjective. Still, I want you to listen to my words. I don't mean you have to change everything based on my preferences, not at all. I simply ask you not to dismiss everything and think about what I will write here.

Okay, now I can start talking about it. I actually liked how the story started. I don't think it was super unique, in fact, it was slightly generic(not your fault), but I liked how you set up the mood for the novel. It was serious and somber, I guess? With a hint of mystery. Anyway, I liked it up to one moment.

“A-An academy? There’s a Magus academy here, of all places? This is where I genuinely stopped reading. I stopped for a minute or so, and thought, how did he know it was an academy?

And after that, for me, the novel started falling apart at lightning speed. There was no slow and steady pacing, and nothing remained of the previous atmosphere.

I think this story is one of the most generic ones that I've read. No offense here since as I said multiple times, it's my subjective opinion, this isn't an objective fact. This story will probably be well-received on SH, and even better on RR. Then why am I saying this? Well, because it's my subjective feedback.

Back to the topic. I think there is something with the pacing and how you introduce things. About pacing, you can simply look at what I mentioned above. To me, it looked like you were trying to skip everything, skip setting the mood, skip setting the scene, and try to rush towards the isekai part.
To elaborate on this even further.

Within the heart of this eerie woodland, an old building stood, captivating his attention.

“A-An academy?

A reader knows it is an academy from a synopsis. But how does MC know it? I'm not asking you to waste 500 words on writing how he knows it. I'm asking to at least add something like this. Another person might've confused the old building for something else, but Victor was an acolyte. Simply looking at magical traces here allowed him to deduct what that building was. This is simply an example to illustrate the point.

You know, a very small explanation. Honestly, I would've preferred a slower pace, I would've preferred 500 words describing how he understands it is an academy. 500 more words on how he slowly looks around, and so on. But I understand that it would alienate a lot of readers, so once again, I'm not asking you to change it according to my taste. But it would've been nice if you didn't rush as much and slowed down just a tiny little bit. Not only there, but overall.

Speaking of rushing and pacing, and adding the generic nature of the story to the topic. Half of chapter 2 is about MC's powers. Though it is written well, it is basically an info dump. The amount of stories I saw that used chapter 2 as an info dump for MC's powers, simply because they tried to get done with it as soon as possible is a lot. And personally, I don't like it. It looks formulated. Fantasy part>isekai>info dump is the structure that almost everyone uses. A "sassy" MC or in your case helper that is a must for 80% of LitRPGs. Others like it, if you like it it is good, but I don't like it.

And that's the end of my feedback. The quality is really good, and a lot of people would read it. As for me, I won't read it since I simply can't see any reason to read it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

AstraMagically

Sorry for taking so long, I was busy and lazy, very lazy. Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 2: The Intricacies of the Magus Academy System

Unlike my usual routine, I will start by mentioning the rating I would've given you if I were to rate your novel. I didn't and won't rate it, but if I were to do it, I would've given your novel a 3.25-3.5 stars.

The reason for that is I like how you write. It's easy to read and comprehend, and I rate this highly. I didn't notice anything that usually irk me, no weird phrases or badly done repetitions, no bad paragraphing, and so on. The way you write is good. I didn't notice any problems with worldbuilding, plot, or characters. I didn't read enough to say anything with certainty, but so far, it was okay. Not good, and not bad either.

It could've been a very short feedback if not for a couple of things I want to mention here. Before I get to it, I have to mention that your story is not my cup of tea. I'm not your target audience, and it is subjective. Still, I want you to listen to my words. I don't mean you have to change everything based on my preferences, not at all. I simply ask you not to dismiss everything and think about what I will write here.

Okay, now I can start talking about it. I actually liked how the story started. I don't think it was super unique, in fact, it was slightly generic(not your fault), but I liked how you set up the mood for the novel. It was serious and somber, I guess? With a hint of mystery. Anyway, I liked it up to one moment.

“A-An academy? There’s a Magus academy here, of all places? This is where I genuinely stopped reading. I stopped for a minute or so, and thought, how did he know it was an academy?

And after that, for me, the novel started falling apart at lightning speed. There was no slow and steady pacing, and nothing remained of the previous atmosphere.

I think this story is one of the most generic ones that I've read. No offense here since as I said multiple times, it's my subjective opinion, this isn't an objective fact. This story will probably be well-received on SH, and even better on RR. Then why am I saying this? Well, because it's my subjective feedback.

Back to the topic. I think there is something with the pacing and how you introduce things. About pacing, you can simply look at what I mentioned above. To me, it looked like you were trying to skip everything, skip setting the mood, skip setting the scene, and try to rush towards the isekai part.
To elaborate on this even further.

Within the heart of this eerie woodland, an old building stood, captivating his attention.

“A-An academy?

A reader knows it is an academy from a synopsis. But how does MC know it? I'm not asking you to waste 500 words on writing how he knows it. I'm asking to at least add something like this. Another person might've confused the old building for something else, but Victor was an acolyte. Simply looking at magical traces here allowed him to deduct what that building was. This is simply an example to illustrate the point.

You know, a very small explanation. Honestly, I would've preferred a slower pace, I would've preferred 500 words describing how he understands it is an academy. 500 more words on how he slowly looks around, and so on. But I understand that it would alienate a lot of readers, so once again, I'm not asking you to change it according to my taste. But it would've been nice if you didn't rush as much and slowed down just a tiny little bit. Not only there, but overall.

Speaking of rushing and pacing, and adding the generic nature of the story to the topic. Half of chapter 2 is about MC's powers. Though it is written well, it is basically an info dump. The amount of stories I saw that used chapter 2 as an info dump for MC's powers, simply because they tried to get done with it as soon as possible is a lot. And personally, I don't like it. It looks formulated. Fantasy part>isekai>info dump is the structure that almost everyone uses. A "sassy" MC or in your case helper that is a must for 80% of LitRPGs. Others like it, if you like it it is good, but I don't like it.

And that's the end of my feedback. The quality is really good, and a lot of people would read it. As for me, I won't read it since I simply can't see any reason to read it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.
Hi, thank you very much for reviewing my new work!
You may not remember this, but you did review my old work here, and it seems that I've come a long way since then. At least, according to the score that you gave me, there's an increase by 0,5 to 0,75 overall. That's not too shabby!

As for the academy part. Right, that's something that never come to my attention, particularly because I have no beta readers to point out stuff like this, so having someone (especially an experienced person like you) to have a second look at it a heaven sent to improve further.

Anyway, thank you again for the review. Now, I have a clear idea on what to improve on the first chapter.

AdOtherwise

Owl Who Reads · Hoot Hoot
Just to ask, did you review my story before or after my revisions?