Game Industry Observations

Kenjona

The main issue about publicly traded shares is simply the fact that overall, it's been bad for production and society since most of the money goes to middlemen instead of the producers. Those who produce tend to get shut down by middlemen (investors), and it's difficult to grow something organically because investors who don't really produce anything, or know a trade inside and out invest and demand profit without cause.

Actually, I feel like if they want to make companies publicly tradeable, they'll have to do either of these two things.

1) Take away all the restrictions, and those who lose cannot sue.

or

2) Make it so politicians cannot buy stock.

If either of these are done, I feel the market will eventually correct itself. This is not based on anything but a hunch, of course.
It used to be like #1, except scammers and con artist took to many peoples money/assets and the government had to step in to regulate it. Which involved politicians, which means more regulations to control corruption and so on. Which increases costs on Companies, which gets passed on to consumers.

The point of publicly trading shares is for everyone to be able to sell the % of ownership they have over an asset. To make money. You own X amount of Y company. For stocks, bonds and debts you may get dividends; but if you need more cash then what the dividend is giving you, you sell said asset; hopefully for a premium over what you bought it for. If you do not need the cash, you hold it hoping it continues to go up in value.

Without the ability to Publicly Trade those assets, then ONLY private sales will happen, which leads to monopolies forming and people being blackballed from buying stock. Publicly traded assets also allow a BROADER range of people to buy stock, and for the sellers to maximize their return.
Frighting enough many peoples retirement incomes depend on those publicly traded assets in one for or another.

SailusGebel

Nah. I provided a good counter-example of how one guy compared and in my opinion, superseded a major group in product outcome, which you said couldn't be done now. Kenshi was done by one man, Runescape by a corp. Kenshi has been done within the last decade, and Kenshi 2 which isn't out yet, is still being done by one guy. He even did his own soundtrack, which is information I wasn't even aware of, and it's pretty good all things considered.
It is not a counter-example.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Without the ability to Publicly Trade those assets, then ONLY private sales will happen, which leads to monopolies forming and people being blackballed from buying stock. Publicly traded assets also allow a BROADER range of people to buy stock, and for the sellers to maximize their return.
Frighting enough many peoples retirement incomes depend on those publicly traded assets in one for or another.
See, I sort of disagree with that.
I think monopolies form mostly because politicians are involved.

For instance, the minimum wage battle in America right now.
The higher the minimum wage, the harder it is for mom and pop stores to expand and compete against the big boys.
In California, we have a 25 dollar minimum wage for restaurants and fast food, but panera bread doesn't have to pay that because of some loop hole about baking bread, and the owner of Panera is a big donor of the governor. Then we have pfizer which is the 5th or 6th most owned stock by people in the house of representatives.

However, I do feel that it's not that bad for investors to get scammed. Then a company would have to actually acquire a good reputation in order for people to buy stock from them, and at least the super rich could get scammed too. IN our current market, only the every day joe trader can get scammed.

SailusGebel

Agree to disagree.
Dwarf fortress was made by two guys. They had to rely on text symbols instead of making any kind of graphic because the game is simply too big, and hard to make when it's just two guys making it. What's so hard to understand about this? They must sacrifice one thing, to achieve the other. Before, you were able to not sacrifice a single thing, even with a small team. Now you can't.

Kenshi has to sacrifice graphics and animations to get a good gameplay. How is this a counter-example? It's literally what I'm talking about.

ZukoMee

Dwarf fortress was made by two guys. They had to rely on text symbols instead of making any kind of graphic because the game is simply too big, and hard to make when it's just two guys making it. What's so hard to understand about this? They must sacrifice one thing, to achieve the other. Before, you were able to not sacrifice a single thing, even with a small team. Now you can't.

Kenshi has to sacrifice graphics and animations to get a good gameplay. How is this a counter-example? It's literally what I'm talking about.
I haven't played Runescape since 2015, but last I did, it wasn't any better than Kenshi graphically and Kenshi has better/more animations. If this has changed and Runescape graphics/animations have improved in my absence, than I'll say you're right.

Otherwise? Agree to disagree.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I haven't played Runescape since 2015, but last I did, it wasn't any better than Kenshi graphically and Kenshi has better/more animations. If this has changed and Runescape graphics/animations have improved in my absence, than I'll say you're right.

Otherwise? Agree to disagree.

Nah, you right. I can't see the difference either.

ZukoMee

Nah, you right. I can't see the difference either.
The example, was between Kenshi and Runescape, due to Runescape being a large group effort and Kenshi not. I also clarified this in my last post about Runescape via 2015.

Perhaps learn to read?

Last edited:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
So, due to having no intelligent response...you resort to....what exactly? This? Is it sarcasm or something?
You're right. You are boring in this instance.
Honestly, no one cares enough to make passionate arguments. Most of us here know our lives won’t be affected by losing or winning an argument on the internet.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
The only thing ironic, is that you failed to read my last comment to you....and then you were somehow amused by Envy moving the goalpost with the Elden Ring nonsense...when I clearly referred to Runescape.

Subpar argument agrees with subpar argument. I agree.
:blob_popcorn:Keep going. 🎥

SailusGebel

The only thing ironic, is that you failed to read my last comment to you....and then you were somehow amused by Envy moving the goalpost with the Elden Ring nonsense...when I clearly referred to Runescape.
Err, the one moving the goalpost was you. You compared kenshi to runescape, while I was comparing indie games with AAA games. Yes, all this time I was comparing AAA games with indie games. So yeah, it was ironic.

ZukoMee

Err, the one moving the goalpost was you. You compared kenshi to runescape, while I was comparing indie games with AAA games. Yes, all this time I was comparing AAA games with indie games. So yeah, it was ironic.
You, or someone else prior, also mentioned large groups working on a project together versus a single person alone on a project, which is where I came in with the Kenshi vs. Runescape. So yes, ironic indeed.