Getting adaptation

zelotwo02

Is it possible to get a manga/hwa/hua adaptation from a webnovel? I know famous ones like solo leveling and overgeared are adapted from webnovel but is there a criteria needed like it needs to have xx views or it must be korean or Japanese language etc.

Also is there a novel from scribblehub that got adapted to manga??

LotsChrono

Usually, it's companies that are already making money off of the novel pushing for an adaptation. You won't see any random story getting an adaptation out of nowhere, especially when not contracted with any platform or publisher. As for other criteria, well, popularity is certainly one, but, also, it would have to be something that's fairly easy to adapt in my view.

Is there a novel from here that has gotten an adaptation? Don't think so. After all, most novels on here aren't, specifically speaking, making money for any company/platform. If there's going to be an adaptation, it would have to be pushed by the author's own pockets.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Is it possible to get a manga/hwa/hua adaptation from a webnovel? I know famous ones like solo leveling and overgeared are adapted from webnovel but is there a criteria needed like it needs to have xx views or it must be korean or Japanese language etc.

I know of Solo Leveling and am not impressed. It's all art, lackluster plot. I know nothing of Overgeared though I've heard it mentioned quite a bit. Is it any good?

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
I don't know if this is possible but after reading the above statements I just realized some things(in a more understandable words, the words below are just ramblings)...

If you want your story to be adapted, you need to either do it yourself or have others do it. Well what if the author's story is just so good? Maybe an artist would see it and maybe ask the him if he agrees to do art. Maybe the artist would create his own adaptation in stuff like 'webtoon' and maybe it became popular :blob_hmm_two:. If I recall right, tower of god is originally a webtoon that became an anime.

Well those are just ramblings but if this is useful then it's ok, I guess?

Discount_Blade

I don't know if this is possible but after reading the above statements I just realized some things(in a more understandable words, the words below are just ramblings)...

If you want your story to be adapted, you need to either do it yourself or have others do it. Well what if the author's story is just so good? Maybe an artist would see it and maybe ask the him if he agrees to do art. Maybe the artist would create his own adaptation in stuff like 'webtoon' and maybe it became popular :blob_hmm_two:. If I recall right, tower of god is originally a webtoon that became an anime.

Well those are just ramblings but if this is useful then it's ok, I guess?
Tower of God is my favorite webtoon. But I just am not sold on it being an anime. I just refuse to watch it. They will need to leave out so much to fit it into the bullshit 12-episode format that anime is insistent upon nowadays. Is it bad that I can remember when 26 was the more common format length for serializations of written works into anime? And I'm in my 20's!!!! It wasn't that long ago!!! Corporate greed for the win though.

And the fact that its so common for anime's to only have 1 season of an extremely good manga/toon and then they just never make another....nah I'll pass. I'm saddened by the fact that they made a TOG anime. I mean I'm happy for the author cuz payday and all that...but artistically, I'm saddenened.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
I know of Solo Leveling and am not impressed. It's all art, lackluster plot. I know nothing of Overgeared though I've heard it mentioned quite a bit. Is it any good?
Well I read overgeared(read, as in past tense), just gonna say if you want a blacksmith(or a creation protagonist) but he's op at fighting becuz of his blacksmith skill and becuz of that he does the 'Oh may gad, he's a hottie and overpowered. Why didn't we realize until now?' then the novel is good for you.

Of course that's not the full novel and there are also more stuff like drama but this is just what I read put into simple words

(Overgeared is a korean novel)

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Well I read overgeared(read, as in past tense), just gonna say if you want a blacksmith(or a creation protagonist) but he's op at fighting becuz of his blacksmith skill and becuz of that he does the 'Oh may gad, he's a hottie and overpowered. Why didn't we realize until now?' then the novel is good for u
Dunno. Sounds maybe. Is it Korean? I find Korean stuff to be better than Japanese, who tend to have infuriatingly awful MC's, and Chinese who are normally just awful altogether in most categories. The only thing I don't trust Korean authors in is the Romance genre. They have an obsession with NTR. Even their "light-hearted" stuff tends to involves women bouncing around between numerous men, though they try and fail to make it seem almost comedic.

Last edited:

Lentin

You can always try making your own webtoon adaptation on webtoons.com/en after you've finished your novel.
If you can't draw, then you'll have to find and pay artists who can draw for your story.
From then on, you'll have to do a lot of promotion if you want to get to the front page of Webtoon Canvas or go on to becoming an Original Series, where I think you'll get paid monthly.
From my experience, making a webtoon as a one-man job is not as easy as making a novel on scribblehub lol

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Adapting a novel into manga is an extremely expensive process. Freelance illustrators would charge around USD50-70 per page. PER PAGE!!! You could probably get a discount for bulk purchase and less panels, but if your manga has 10 pages, that's USSD500 per chapter! Unless you're making money from it, you're losing money just from the prestige.

But Kadokawa did it, you say? That's because Japanese manga illustrators (contracted to publishers) make shit for income. Sure, the mangakas are paid a lot of money, but this money is also split with their assistants. After splitting the money, the mangaka is left with the bare minimum. Yes, most production houses in Japan expect the mangakas to pay their assistants themselves.

All you can hope for is find a friend who can draw and beg that person to make your manga for a pittance.

Or you can do like Ai-chan. Pie rat Clip Studio Paint and draw your own manga. It's slow because you spend more time redoing your art, but if you stick to it, you could eventually make something that you can show people.

Malonymous

I've always wondered if there was ever someone who tried paying a translator to post their webnovel on a site like Shōsetsuka ni Narō to see if it would get popular enough to get picked up by a publisher for a light novel or manga adaptation. That aside, commissioning or self-made adaptations would be the feasible ways to go for OEL, if one was so inclined.

Deltora Quest is the only anime adaptation I've heard of that came from an OEL author's book (Australian). There was a singer/celebrity who commissioned a manga based on her life that I don't remember the name of, but it's on My Anime List.

Last edited:

Wintertime

King of Nothing
It depends on the company willing to adopt it. But no, it's not limited to style or language, just how it's perceived through their media (ie Animation).

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Dunno. Sounds maybe. Is it Korean? I find Korean stuff to be better than Japanese, who tend to have infuriatingly awful MC's, and Chinese who are normally just awful altogether in most categories. The only thing I don't trust Korean authors in is the Romance genre. They have an obsession with NTR. Even their "light-hearted" stuff tends to involves women bouncing around between numerous men, though they try and fail to make it seem almost comedic.
Overgeared is korean. The character development for the mc is great, and you don't have to worry about ntr.

It's very much possible. You can push for it yourself.
Hire an artist/studio, form a partnership, publish your work.
There are manga/webtoon artists out there available, and some are actively looking for partnerships. You just have to make an effort to search for them.
Or take the harder path, draw your own work. Learn the trade.
Easy words to say but would take an excruciating amount of effort to put into action.

Last edited:

ForestDweller

Infuriatingly awful MCs?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Maybe the artist would create his own adaptation in stuff like 'webtoon' and maybe it became popular :blob_hmm_two:. If I recall right, tower of god is originally a webtoon that became an anime.
Those anime are productions between crunchyroll and naver/webtoon.
Before you can even think of getting an anime you have to start on canvas, then get featured by webtoon to the main site.
For that you have to be a full time artist, able to get out a 40 panel chapter each week. Soo, you either are a genius who can write and draw at an unprecedented speed or have deep pockets to keep your personal artist. :blob_cookie:

Discount_Blade

Infuriatingly awful MCs?
Yes awful. And not just the "beta" thing everyone likes to mention. They have numerous other faults. For example, the one I hate the most is their unrealistic hero complex's, that disgusting line of "you should never kill". I drop ANYTHING the moment I see that line. Also, the "powah ov friendshwip" is nauseatingly prevalent in JP titles. You're MC is less than stellar to me but since he's only 10 or 11, I don't make an effort to get annoyed since I would be more annoyed if he WASN'T naive or something in that way. In fact, I find your MC and his childishness/naivety/weak-willed more realistic due to his age than say...if he was some kind of constant cold, calculative, tough guy that I've noticed people keep trying to get you to make him.

I think your MC is fine the way he is for now because he' still not even a teenager yet. NOW, if he gets to be 18 or 19 and he's still the same way he is now, but later on in the story, THEN I'll have complaints. But as for now, your MC being as he is, is passable and understandable. I mean...he's 11-12? What do people want of him? I'd ignore most people complaining about your MC until he's around maybe 15 or 16...but I wouldn't pay TOO MUCH attention until he's at least 19-20. I say 15 or 16 because thats when I expect him to be thoroughly hardened by his experiences. Not the cold-blooded, merciless kind of hardened because you've shown he's kindhearted. BUT, I do expect him to be merciless against ENEMIES. People that you and I both know want nothing more than to harm him or others he cares for, though it wouldn't bother me if he still has a few moments where he chickens out or freaks out since even then....he's still growing. But killing an enemy shouldn't make him hesitate at 15 or 16

However, by 19-20 years of age, he HAS to have already figured himself out by this point in the story. He should be decisive. Kind to his loved ones and friends, but cruel to his enemies. If he hadn't been through as much as he has with what you've written, and it instead, happened later in his life, I would expect him to potentially forgive a few people even if they don't deserve it. But since he's lost his so much, and seen so much as such a young age, he HAS to have matured faster because psychologically,. he wasn't given a choice. Realistically, he'd be more cruel to enemies since things happened to him so early in life, therefore he's had more time to grow accustomed to dealing with them quickly and efficiently. (This is also why I avoid anything with a "you should not kill line, because this is not a realistic response to someone trying to kill you or your loved ones and I don't believe for a second you will actually find someone willing to take this stance after the villains has gutted someone he/she cares about right in front of them. Though JP authors would like you to believe its possible....its not...unless they are arealdy submissive, defeated, cowards...or something else SIMILAR)

He also needs some kind of mental scar, or some kind of psychological "tic", something that expresses the kind of mental damage that has been done to him from his violent childhood. FOr example....maybe he is more likely to become distrustful and more easily angered and violent towars gnomes/dwarves/short people etc. "due to past experiences regarding traumatic events", hint hint, even if he's sorry and apologetic about it later on. We don't age with no consequences for what has happened to us even though we have prevailed and defeated our enemies, internal or external. There are always scars and reminders of what has happened to us that remind of us of where we have come from and what we have experienced.

Also,, for anyone reading this, this is me making examples and then speaking directly to @ForestDweller about his MC. It's not really anything to do with the rest of the thread. I was specifically responding to ForestDweller about his MC, so unless you've read his story, this response should not concern you or anyone else enough to respond to it.

Last edited:

ForestDweller

Yes awful. And not just the "beta" thing everyone likes to mention. They have numerous other faults. For example, the one I hate the most is their unrealistic hero complex's, that disgusting line of "you should never kill". I drop ANYTHING the moment I see that line. Also, the "powah ov friendshwip" is nauseatingly prevalent in JP titles. You're MC is less than stellar to me but since he's only 10 or 11, I don't make an effort to get annoyed since I would be more annoyed if he WASN'T naive or something in that way. In fact, I find your MC and his childishness/naivety/weak-willed more realistic due to his age than say...if he was some kind of constant cold, calculative, tough guy that I've noticed people keep trying to get you to make him.

I think your MC is fine the way he is for now because he' still not even a teenager yet. NOW, if he gets to be 18 or 19 and he's still the same way he is now, but later on in the story, THEN I'll have complaints. But as for now, your MC being as he is, is passable and understandable. I mean...he's 11-12? What do people want of him? I'd ignore most people complaining about your MC until he's around maybe 15 or 16...but I wouldn't pay TOO MUCH attention until he's at least 19-20. I say 15 or 16 because thats when I expect him to be thoroughly hardened by his experiences. Not the cold-blooded, merciless kind of hardened because you've shown he's kindhearted. BUT, I do expect him to be merciless against ENEMIES. People that you and I both know want nothing more than to harm him or others he cares for, though it wouldn't bother me if he still has a few moments where he chickens out or freaks out since even then....he's still growing. But killing an enemy shouldn't make him hesitate at 15 or 16

However, by 19-20 years of age, he HAS to have already figured himself out by this point in the story. He should be decisive. Kind to his loved ones and friends, but cruel to his enemies. If he hadn't been through as much as he has with what you've written, and it instead, happened later in his life, I would expect him to potentially forgive a few people even if they don't deserve it. But since he's lost his so much, and seen so much as such a young age, he HAS to have matured faster because psychologically,. he wasn't given a choice. Realistically, he'd be more cruel to enemies since things happened to him so early in life, therefore he's had more time to grow accustomed to dealing with them quickly and efficiently. (This is also why I avoid anything with a "you should not kill line, because this is not a realistic response to someone trying to kill you or your loved ones and I don't believe for a second you will actually find someone willing to take this stance after the villains has gutted someone he/she cares about right in front of them. Though JP authors would like you to believe its possible....its not...unless they are arealdy submissive, defeated, cowards...or something else SIMILAR)

He also needs some kind of mental scar, or some kind of psychological "tic", something that expresses the kind of mental damage that has been done to him from his violent childhood. FOr example....maybe he is more likely to become distrustful and more easily angered and violent towars gnomes/dwarves/short people etc. "due to past experiences regarding traumatic events", hint hint, even if he's sorry and apologetic about it later on. We don't age with no consequences for what has happened to us even though we have prevailed and defeated our enemies, internal or external. There are always scars and reminders of what has happened to us that remind of us of where we have come from and what we have experienced.

Also,, for anyone reading this, this is me making examples and then speaking directly to @ForestDweller about his MC. It's not really anything to do with the rest of the thread. I was specifically responding to ForestDweller about his MC, so unless you've read his story, this response should not concern you or anyone else enough to respond to it.

It's not about him being kind of cruel, is it? It's about him having PTSD from the fight against his parents' murderer. He's fine with killing enemies that are weaker than him, that's already established well enough, I think, but when the enemy's stronger, especially at the level of his parents' murderer, his cowardice and trauma flare up again.

What a good fraction of my readers want is for him to just drop the trauma and cowardice altogether. So he wouldn't have run away or cower in fear. It's not about hesitating to kill.

Not to mention the fact that he's a reincarnated person, so your excuse of him being a kid gains less weight.

Discount_Blade

It's not about him being kind of cruel, is it? It's about him having PTSD from the fight against his parents' murderer. He's fine with killing enemies that are weaker than him, that's already established well enough, I think, but when the enemy's stronger, especially at the level of his parents' murderer, his cowardice and trauma flare up again.

What a good fraction of my readers want is for him to just drop the trauma and cowardice altogether. So he wouldn't have run away or cower in fear. It's not about hesitating to kill.

Not to mention the fact that he's a reincarnated person, so your excuse of him being a kid gains less weight.
I don't see where PTSD counteracts anything I said. It only enforces it. As for him being an adult in a kids body, than yeah there are some character issues you need to work on. I completely forgot about that part to be honest. But, you mentioned a reboot earlier and I am vehemently against reboots because they ALMOST ALWAYS end up being discontinued and then the story dies. Not always, but more often than not. Just keep writing as is and simply ignore the naysayers. Personally, you have more comments in your chapter comment section than every other novel I'm reading on this site so I don't believe for a moment you have more naysayers than fans.

ForestDweller

As for him being an adult in a kids body, than yeah there are some character issues you need to work on

That's another mistake I made, wanting to make a loser character that's more realistic in being a loser. The majority of isekai readers don't want to see that.
Personally, you have more comments in your chapter comment section than every other novel I'm reading on this site so I don't believe for a moment you have more naysayers than fans.

Half of that is me responding to the comments. :s_tongue:

Not to mention that there has been somewhat of a comment drought lately.