Give me your motivation

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
If left to my own devices, I'd be making 5k word chapters. But those three magic words stop me:
Walls of text.
Shudders.
Yeah, so now I make 1,300 word chapters these days. Sometimes less. But never less than 1k.

Merrikk

There's a plethora of reasons you can make or find to motivate yourself to write 1k+ words, from supportive parents to dedicated followers.

But there's only one unadulterated, deep yet not that pretentious reason in my book.

Seeing your creations be alive.

Rookieqw

I was told that with practice and dedication, I could become a competent writer. I am striving to work as hard as I can to spit in the face of the person who said these words in the afterlife by showing that I still suck!

That and some people gave favorites to my story, some even follow it. It would be unfair to let them down. So I will study, learn, try, and fall as long as at least a single person reads the stream of consciousness that are my stories.

D

Deleted member 54065

So.... how do you do 1k+ word count? what is your motivation man...
As for me? Focus and self-discipline works.

When I focus, I tend to self-isolate. I stop playing games, watching shows, reading manga/light novels, and sometimes, even leaving group chats just to avoid distractions. That's my focus. And I can't do it without a good measure of self-discipline.

And yeah, I always impose goals for myself. Like, for this month, I'll finish the second volume manuscript of one of my stories. For the next month, the 16th volume of my main project, and so on. If you can't do it, setting goals for a day might do the trick. For example, for this day, I'd want to finish an illustration for my 15th volume.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
images (11).jpeg

Where is your motivation? :blob_ninja:

No, but seriously, maybe consider the speed at which you're going. Don't just try to rush to the end just because something cool's happening. Show us the buildup, the character's reactions, their *motivations*. Realistically, all this would be more than enough to push you past 1.5k words.

proxybaba

don't rush things and draft manuscripts first. try to elaborate on the condition and environment your characters are in. don't opt for too simple sentences. throw some curveballs too, with mix and match of dialogues and you will reach 1k easily.

J_Chemist

It just kind of happens. I put in music, follow my outline, and put the vision in my head to paper. I do get distracted a lot by YouTube, memes, people, and life in general but when I'm writing, I immerse myself in what I'm doing until I hit a point in the episode where I can call it good.

Edit: Just to add, word count is mostly related to having a supportive vocabulary that allows you to be descriptive. You can write a good story with a low word count. If you want to change that and fluff your numbers, the general issue I've noticed is that the author doesn't have the diversity in their word bank to bring out what they want to say.

Read more. Write more. It'll come.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I have a weird shadow in the corner of my room. It looks like it's talking sometimes, so I just assume its telling me to write or get eaten in my sleep. Oh, and a good walk to the store listening to music helps too.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Just go watch Naked Lunch. That'll show you everything you need to know about being a writer.

Speedwagon889

Easy. I write when I want to, and when I no longer feel like it, I stop. Word count is irrelevant, chapter numbers don't matter. Page count? What's that? What matters is that I'm enjoying myself, and the rest follows naturally. It's a hobby. You (probably) aren't getting paid, so don't make it another job.