Have you ever wondered...

Aiyoki

...what exactly it is that draws your readers to any one particular chapter of your story?

The story I'm writing for instance has a steady sloping decline in the number of views as you move from one chapter to the next in sequential order, however there are exceptions to this expected norm. In those exceptions the number of views from one sequential chapter to the next garners a surprisingly larger number of views than the previous chapter.

Is it the naming of the chapter itself?

Maybe it's a chapter that readers liked more than the other and they re-read the chapter? (I'm not 100% sure if this site counts every view or if it only counts unique viewers.)

What do you think?

D

Deleted member 54065

The realism I put in my chapters and the logical (almost) actions and behaviors of the characters.

I also forgot to include, some readers love the footnotes I put in, explaining cultures they are not familiar with.

MrFunnySkeletonMan

Take this with a grain of salt this is just my theory, but for the weird spikes, new readers usually wants to get the gist of your writing and the elements in the story as fast as possible. Readers don’t want to waste time on something that potentially might not suit their tastes. If they are shopping around for a new novel, it must mean they are bored and looking for something new, so much that they are gambling time on new novels that they cannot verify the quality of. Thus, they either read the first chapter or use a recent chapter to judge if they want to read it to get the vibe as fast as possible so their loses in time is minimal.

Last edited:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
The only logical answers is that time travellers are jumping forward in time, to check where the story goes from a point when you were just starting out.

Bobple

For my story the only three chapters that have over 200 views are the prologue and chapter 1 (which then proceeds into a slow drop off).

Then the exception of chapter 20, but that chapter was also the last chapter before my one month break. So it could've been people checking the last chapter to see how the story progresses or how the writing quality changes.

nowme_cres

...what exactly it is that draws your readers to any one particular chapter of your story?

The story I'm writing for instance has a steady sloping decline in the number of views as you move from one chapter to the next in sequential order, however there are exceptions to this expected norm. In those exceptions the number of views from one sequential chapter to the next garners a surprisingly larger number of views than the previous chapter.

Is it the naming of the chapter itself?

Maybe it's a chapter that readers liked more than the other and they re-read the chapter? (I'm not 100% sure if this site counts every view or if it only counts unique viewers.)

What do you think?
I'd say its the title of the chapter and if the story is on trending

Zinless

How do I
For me, it's the chapter that introduces selfcest into the mix.

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
that remains a mystery to me.

I attempted multiple times, trying to write a clickbait title but ended up backing away because "it's just not me" to do that

ACertainPassingUser

In my own humble language, The chapter where I'm hooked the most :

First of all, the Build-Up payoff chapter, where all the effort and the events that happen finally accumulated enought to cause the events we waited. Like when MC has outs all the research and traps and finally MC fights the enemy and all the preparation pays off.

The second is, Info reveal chapter, where a chapter reveal a lot plot-heavy info about MC, or there's a good explanation of why MC do this and that and why events happens this way. POV of unexpected character that could be spoiler material also included.

And latsly, Very Interesting filler detail chapter, where thing that usually isn't shown is being shown. It can be filler for some, but a very good detailed chapter that tells the whole story in another way that can be stood up on its own without need another chapter to build up or context.

Best example is "Konata's Mom reveal episode". Even though we never watched the whole show, we can gain whole lot of info about the show in nutshell and the background info of the whole show.

Thats all I have to tell as a reader. Always take it with whole grain of salt. If you having problem with how to improve your story yourself because it's hard to make interesting story plots, just try to improve your grammar instead. Then ask beta readers once you have improved your grammars so that they won't have to kept telling you to improve the wording for the 10th time.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
When I had time to read, I would have a tab saved for each novel I was reading. This tab would be on the most recent chapter, and I would check to see if the next chapter button was working yet. I would check more often when I was excited for the next chapter. Perhaps other people do the same, and that's how you get more views on some later chapters.

Mangaka

Am a reader from my point of view I go through the chap as fast as I can in that case at the of the chap is bit boring if I see the story ends there and non relaint on next chap I might think 🤔 reading till here is enough and move on with other series, I need an assurance from the author that there is something on the next chap for me to expect that can be anything about geners or story or any clarification or at the least a joke

Aiyoki

So.... based on information here... I can attest that the first bump in viewership seems to happen when the MC of my story gets the crap beaten out of them.

Something tells me people like this sort of thing and that's why it's more popular than the previous chapter... :sneaky:

Grievewriter

In my experience its usually because a story beat or scene stands out to them as either more engaging or better written or something else. You can find this phenomena in other media where certain things are referenced exceptionally more than others, it happens almost everywhere actually.