Having a hard time...

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
How many times have I written a thread already? Hahaha

But, I am really having a hard time with my novel. I want to keep writing, I want to keep on making the story, but the more I type, the more I lose the story.

My fight scenes have been a bit confusing and short, the dialogues have also started to get confusing, and even the characters started becoming uninteresting... Is this what it's like to get demotivated? I don't know anymore. I still want to finish the story, I still want to write, but I feel like if I continue it while still feeling this without any solution, then the story would get confusing as hell. Anyone ever felt like this?

Thorkell_40k

Me not yet😀 But why don't you try to describe the characters more or the scenes more. If you are feeling like this why don't you put in your everything inside every word you write I am sure when the readers read it they would feel your feelings within the words!😊 Try it out and don't feel down!
Fight scenes are high interesting when they the fighters do so much moves or clashes a lot with matched powers but still tries to find an opening 😏 For me I guess that would leave me on edge 😍

Internet-Degenerate

It sounds like you're tired. I recommend maybe taking a break from writing and giving yourself some alone time. Drink some water. Have a warm bath. Quit everything you're doing. Burn down your house and disappear off the grid. Resurface a decade later in a foreign country with a new name. Break into NASA headquarters and launch yourself into the void.

It's called self care. Come back to writing whenever you feel like it.

Last edited:

Sylverius

Me not yet😀 But why don't you try to describe the characters more or the scenes more. If you are feeling like this why don't you put in your everything inside every word you write I am sure when the readers read it they would feel your feelings within the words!😊 Try it out and don't feel down!
Fight scenes are high interesting when they the fighters do so much moves or clashes a lot with matched powers but still tries to find an opening 😏 For me I guess that would leave me on edge 😍
I do try to do so, but it just became more and more confusing.
You are simply burnt out.
Well, I did continuously write down my novels everyday (1 chapter per 3-4 days) so I guess I would be burnt out.
Drink some water. Have a warm bath. Quit everything you're doing. Burn down your house and disappear off the grid. Resurface a decade later in a foreign country with a new name. Break into NASA headquarters and launch yourself into the void.
WELL THAT WENT FROM 0 TO A HUNDRED REAL QUICK
It's called self care. Come back to writing whenever you feel like it
Well, I guess it's for the best.

SailusGebel

I do try to do so, but it just became more and more confusing.

Well, I did continuously write down my novels everyday (1 chapter per 3-4 days) so I guess I would be burnt out.

WELL THAT WENT FROM 0 TO A HUNDRED REAL QUICK

Well, I guess it's for the best.
If you are, burnt out, take some time off writing. If you still want to write, try writing something else. And in case this feeling of boredom doesn't go away, the only way would be to either power through it with sheer willpower or dropping the novel.

CypherTails

Go play some video games, watch some shows/movies/anime, read some novels, enjoy some stories that aren't your own. Writers love stories that's why we began writing in the first place. Give yourself some time away from your novel and go explore what's out there. Sooner or later that inspiration will return.

Heck write a new story for fun, I started drafting a few new stories to mix things up and it helped for me. I published one and worked on that one for quite a bit. Now I'm burning out a little on my new story so I'm going back to my old one more. Find stories you love and the flame of creativity will return. :s_wink:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
This is why I finish my work before I post, because I can take all the time I want to finish it. :sweating_profusely:

You are burned out and need time to collect your thoughts. Go play a game, watch a series or two. Free your mind by doing other things.

This is what I do when I feel like am stuck. It refreshes me and allows me to ease my troubled mind.

Maybe start another series that catches your attention. Or bake cookies or draw. Anything other than what is making you miserable.:blob_cookie:

Jet

I noticed that there are days when I look at the text and grow repulsed by the sheer incompetence and meaningless of my vain efforts.
And then there are days when I look again but marvel at its glorious ingenuity instead.
Taking a break, hopeful of catching a spark helps.

Sylverius

If you are, burnt out, take some time off writing. If you still want to write, try writing something else. And in case this feeling of boredom doesn't go away, the only way would be to either power through it with sheer willpower or dropping the novel.
"Dropping the novel"
Now that is something I don't want to do at all.
Go play some video games, watch some shows/movies/anime, read some novels, enjoy some stories that aren't your own. Writers love stories that's why we began writing in the first place. Give yourself some time away from your novel and go explore what's out there. Sooner or later that inspiration will return.
The games I want to play can't be accessed since it's at nintendo switch, specifically, mh rise. The animes I currently watch are still ongoing and I've rewatched many of them so many times I lost count due to how much I repeated all of them, mostly because there's hundreds of them. I've already read some of the novels, but it just makes me more sad due to the fact that they can write better, more fluent and cohesive than me.
Heck write a new story for fun, I started drafting a few new stories to mix things up and it helped for me. I published one and worked on that one for quite a bit. Now I'm burning out a little on my new story so I'm going back to my old one more. Find stories you love and the flame of creativity will return. :s_wink:
I do plan on writing a new story just in case, but I can't do it unless the one I'm currently doing is finished because of the fact that their lores are connected to one another in a BIG way.
Maybe start another series that catches your attention. Or bake cookies or draw. Anything other than what is making you miserable.:blob_cookie:
Well, I didn't mention this before, but majority of the games I currently play are just... Idle or quick-visit games (games that have a stamina system). My art style is really bad, and I can't really cook due to circumstances relating to my body (no, not laziness).
I noticed that there are days when I look at the text and grow repulsed by the sheer incompetence and meaningless of my vain efforts.
And then there are days when I look again but marvel at its glorious ingenuity instead.
Taking a break, hopeful of catching a spark helps.
Yeah... Thanks.

I dunno, maybe I'm just tired considering I've always taught of how to make and connect the story everyday and everywhere, when I'm eating, bathing, playing some games, even when I'm about to sleep. Or heck, even when I'm reading a manga or watching a video/anime. I never stopped this kind of routine even when I had to go on a hiatus because my PC is getting cleaned.

EternalSunset0

I dunno, maybe I'm just tired considering I've always taught of how to make and connect the story everyday and everywhere, when I'm eating, bathing, playing some games, even when I'm about to sleep. Or heck, even when I'm reading a manga or watching a video/anime. I never stopped this kind of routine even when I had to go on a hiatus because my PC is getting cleaned.
I can relate to that. Then again, more of my brainpower gets wasted on thinking how some of my story's scenes would sound with all the voice acting and anime effects. Or how a video matching the many OPs/EDs would look. Or the episode count per arc. :blobrofl:

However, I think that the primary problem you have is that you're overthinking it.

Perhaps it's just a very high set of standards you set for yourself, which is why you seem to "never get it." You probably have reached the point of overcriticizing yourself for things that are actually passable to good (especially compared to the relative quality that you'll get in online publications). From our interactions here, I feel that you're one of those guys who "want to write a complete 10/10 100% critic-approved masterpiece that's very intricate with all those layers and an overall complete work of art" (I hope you don't take offense, and please pardon the choice of words in that rambling description, but I think that you can get my point from my exaggerated language) and I don't think that's bad. But if it makes writing a chore, you could probably take a step back.

While I'm not sure if I can give effective advice for your case, I think that it's good to probably keep writing without thinking of getting it perfect in your first go. Try to complete more chapters in advance so that you get a clearer "overview" look at the whole arc or segment then do some fixes along the way. At least that's how I write. Also a reason why my volume 4 is taking forever to finish haha. All the rewrites because I more often than not wrote myself into walls that I somehow fix better when I put more words down and get a more streamlined view of how the plot of the arc should look.

Sylverius

However, I think that the primary problem you have is that you're overthinking it.
Yeah, my family does say that to me repeatedly.
Perhaps it's just a very high set of standards you set for yourself, which is why you seem to "never get it." You probably have reached the point of overcriticizing yourself for things that are actually passable to good (especially compared to the relative quality that you'll get in online publications). From our interactions here, I feel that you're one of those guys who "want to write a complete 10/10 100% critic-approved masterpiece that's very intricate with all those layers and an overall complete work of art" (I hope you don't take offense, and please pardon the choice of words in that rambling description, but I think that you can get my point from my exaggerated language) and I don't think that's bad. But if it makes writing a chore, you could probably take a step back.
No offense taken hahaha
But yes, that is what I think. I had a goal in mind that I want my story to be Good. I don't want this story to be half-assed barely passable good, but good in a sense that people will say "Damn, that was some good shit right there." My brain has the tendency of oversimplifying things. I can't understand things that are too complex simply because of how my brain works. It's my first time trying to write a novel, and the fact that I'm used to looking at just a few sentences and then the art rather than seeing a wall of text makes it seem like this novel writing isn't the thing for me. However, I won't quit. I won't stop because I already started this ride, and I ain't no pu55y to half-assedly run away because novel writing is too complex for me.
While I'm not sure if I can give effective advice for your case, I think that it's good to probably keep writing without thinking of getting it perfect in your first go. Try to complete more chapters in advance so that you get a clearer "overview" look at the whole arc or segment then do some fixes along the way. At least that's how I write. Also a reason why my volume 4 is taking forever to finish haha. All the rewrites because I more often than not wrote myself into walls that I somehow fix better when I put more words down and get a more streamlined view of how the plot of the arc should look.
Hmm... Okay, I'll try to do that.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I've actually felt this way recently and realized it was because I did not have a clear plan for the part of the story I'm in. I had to sit down and plan out what exactly is going on in this section. Perhaps you are burnt out from working on one assignment and are now forcing yourself. Writing something else could be a solution and when you get burnt out by that, return to the original. Or even, write a different section of the story, a fresh one. Perhaps even re-evaluating your notes, or if you don't have notes, now's the time to make some.

Unless you truly are burnt out by writing in general, in which case a break may aid you, but you sound like you still want to write so that may not be the case.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Well, I didn't mention this before, but majority of the games I currently play are just... Idle or quick-visit games (games that have a stamina system). My art style is really bad, and I can't really cook due to circumstances relating to my body (no, not laziness).
Hm~ Can always practice painting abstracts, or just do traces and color them/add details or change stuff. It is what I do since I can't draw humans for my life. I trace and keep tracing different things into the same drawing until I have something I am happy with and looks nothing like the original. :blob_melt:

Btw, what types of games do you like? Maybe I can direct you to some.~ Chill ones if that is what you are looking for.:blob_aww:

Sylverius

I've actually felt this way recently and realized it was because I did not have a clear plan for the part of the story I'm in. I had to sit down and plan out what exactly is going on in this section. Perhaps you are burnt out from working on one assignment and are now forcing yourself. Writing something else could be a solution and when you get burnt out by that, return to the original. Or even, write a different section of the story, a fresh one. Perhaps even re-evaluating your notes, or if you don't have notes, now's the time to make some.

Unless you truly are burnt out by writing in general, in which case a break may aid you, but you sound like you still want to write so that may not be the case.
Yeahhh no, I was actually forcing myself to write. I felt this kind of feeling when I began writing chapter 17, which was around 5 days ago.
So, I wanna plan ahead my break period.
Hm~ Can always practice painting abstracts, or just do traces and color them/add details or change stuff. It is what I do since I can't draw humans for my life. I trace and keep tracing different things into the same drawing until I have something I am happy with and looks nothing like the original. :blob_melt:
I'm not really good with the whole "drawing" stuff, mainly for the fact that my memory is SO bad. So bad in fact, that I can't remember my family's face, even when they're in front of me.
Now sure, I do try tracing and all, but it still doesn't work. Drawing really isn't my forte I guess.
Btw, what types of games do you like? Maybe I can direct you to some.~ Chill ones if that is what you are looking for.:blob_aww:
I tend to favor high quality games. The current games I'm playing right now are 6 games, Touhou Lostword, Genshin, Honkai, Toram, Arknights and LoR. I do plan on playing alchemy stars though. My favorite games right now are the MH series (MH4U, MHgen, MH world, but not Iceborne and MH rise. I wanna play them T_T) and divinity original sin 2, both of which I have finished.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I tend to favor high quality games. The current games I'm playing right now are 6 games, Touhou Lostword, Genshin, Honkai, Toram, Arknights and LoR. I do plan on playing alchemy stars though. My favorite games right now are the MH series (MH4U, MHgen, MH world, but not Iceborne and MH rise. I wanna play them T_T) and divinity original sin 2, both of which I have finished.
Hm, high quality is different for everyone.
I don't do well on gatcha games~ makes me feel like I need to spend money... on... well husbandos for me. :sweating_profusely: I avoid them like the plague lol.

I think they released a new divinity sin not too long ago on steam... Baldur's Gate 3, correct me if I am wrong but it's from the same people from divinity sin. * I have these on the want to play games*
Other series that may be like this are Dragon Age, and Mass Effect *Not andromeda*

For MH I don't know if you have tried stories, but it is great imo. Easy to lose time and have fun catching them all.~ *Currently playing MH stories 2*
The first one is on Android and you can DL there. Even try the demo out first and move the save to the main gain if you decide to keep it.
I think I saw you say you play on the switch the most? Same for switch, there is a demo for MHS2
If you do MH stories 2 is there, and so is another game series I enjoy a lot, Rune Factory 5.*don't need the other ones each game is its own world.*

But you can get emulators to play the other ones in if you like.
This game is more stamina based as you said but isn't limited. Like You can sleep and regain stamina without having to pay, just a day passes in the game. But you are limited to the things you can do during the day and have to plan things out.

Hm, what other games...
I would say if you really enjoy high-quality games *Well, what it is for me* and never have played a game called Okami, I suggest you give it a go. This is literally a masterpiece both in gameplay and story. It is a game that is old, but graphics never get old because of its art style and it is on the switch too.:blob_melt:

D

Deleted member 45782

How many times have I written a thread already? Hahaha

But, I am really having a hard time with my novel. I want to keep writing, I want to keep on making the story, but the more I type, the more I lose the story.

My fight scenes have been a bit confusing and short, the dialogues have also started to get confusing, and even the characters started becoming uninteresting... Is this what it's like to get demotivated? I don't know anymore. I still want to finish the story, I still want to write, but I feel like if I continue it while still feeling this without any solution, then the story would get confusing as hell. Anyone ever felt like this?
Yee. I stopped Shrouded in Darkness a long time ago, because I felt like there were too many plotholes that would be emerging in the middle of the story; I knew the beginning and end but the middle part I decided to pantsy. Had to stop also bc had to refocus back on school.

I think the reason why you have a hard time writing your story could be because you've been seeking out story writing advice and opinions from others on the forum and some of it may contradict with some of your original intended plot devices so then you try to find all the ways to change it, but the story is no longer following exactly as what you may have in mind. And now its gotten messier and you're confused on which direction to make it better.

I think you should write what you want, and don't let the fear of whether people like it or not at first. Just write it out honestly to what you had in your mind, and then go from there. As Agentt says, first time you write stories, its kinda hard and makes you want to delete it. But if you don't write it out in the first place, you'll never take it beyond and feel the satisfaction when your writing has finally taken off. Accept that your first time may not be the best, and then it makes it so much easier to plow through it.

Personally, I stopped writing the above mentioned story also because I think I may have put too many things in there and it was my first big story (aside from a few very short ones) and I feel overwhelmed with too many things I wanted to incorporate into the story. In a similar way, that is why I still have not completed a 3-4 yr old painting and my mom is now threatening to take over and finish it completely, but it'll be her way and how she likes it. So I gotta finish this asap before she makes the horses the size of the houses on the painting. Motivational, isn't it? :sweating_profusely: Sometimes its good to start off on maybe a short, simple story, before branching to longer, bigger, more plot heavy stories. Once you feel like you can finish and accomplish something short and simple, then you can go on to the more advanced stuff. Sort of a bit like walking before running.

Also take a break like what everyone suggests. And then come back to it. You may like it more or find better ways to improve it. I keep wiping out the horses on my painting bc I thought it sucked, but then the next time I try to repaint, the horses look even worse than before. Happens when I try to "pretty" up my notes too cause otherwise I may not bother to look at it again bc its too ugly. As my mother suggests, sometimes its good to take a step back, a short break and then come back to it again. You may see it in a different light. And the perfectionist may start to realize that too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blanksphere

I feel your struggle.
I'm still on my first novel (not posted yet). Most of the time I just pushed on with sheer will, thinking just a bit more to go... just bit more -- with those imaginary deadlines.

One time I took a break and played Skyrim only to find that I didn't know how to properly enjoy games. I lost so much sleep rushing through that game... Or the other time I binged read through multiple novels.

Anyhow, personally I always keep going even if my writing feel messy without direction because I'll edit them later.
That's just me though.