Hi guys, I need help with something.

FanficFrenzy

Hi guys, I need help with something. I'm writing a Harry Potter fanfic, and I want to add a rubik's cube to it. The point is, this rubik's cube couldn't be solved by Rowena Ravenclaw. And our protagonist has solved (Like he's from the modern world that's why) odnak the more I think the more problems come out. From what she was like, do you think she could solve a simple 3x3 rubik's cube?

But if so, how can I make my idea work?

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Um... By "Roven Ravnaklo" do you mean Rowena Ravenclaw?

If so, I would expect her looking at a Rubik's Cube to go something like this:

"Hm.. So you can twist it, and you need to unscramble it by twisting... Very well. Transforma Reverto Omnis." Upon which the Rubik's cube reverses every rotation that has ever been applied to it, all the way back to the very beginning, when it was first assembled in a solved configuration.

Now if for some reason the Rubik's Cube was assembled in a random scramble, then it is very likely LITERALLY UNSOLVABLE, and could be used for something. Especially If there was a 2-part curse, where the curse part was a major thing that could be undone by solving the cube... which is not mathematically solvable.

Perhaps then you could have some fourth-dimensional movement scene/spell?

Other than that, I'm not much sure what's going on here, I'm sorry.

FanficFrenzy

Um... By "Roven Ravnaklo" do you mean Rowena Ravenclaw?

If so, I would expect her looking at a Rubik's Cube to go something like this:

"Hm.. So you can twist it, and you need to unscramble it by twisting... Very well. Transforma Reverto Omnis." Upon which the Rubik's cube reverses every rotation that has ever been applied to it, all the way back to the very beginning, when it was first assembled in a solved configuration.

Now if for some reason the Rubik's Cube was assembled in a random scramble, then it is very likely LITERALLY UNSOLVABLE, and could be used for something. Especially If there was a 2-part curse, where the curse part was a major thing that could be undone by solving the cube... which is not mathematically solvable.

Perhaps then you could have some fourth-dimensional movement scene/spell?

Other than that, I'm not much sure what's going on here, I'm sorry.
thanks for pointing out the mistake in the name, and so let's start with the condition that it is impossible to set up magic on a Rubik's cube so that someone can curse themselves. The main task is to solve the puzzle to find out the secret of the Rubik's Cube. However, I want to find limitations for Rowan, so that these limitations are not a limitation for the hero because he is from the modern world and knows how to assemble a rubik's cube, do you understand?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
She could definitely solve a simple 3x3. It would take a real stumper to stump her.

FanficFrenzy

She could definitely solve a simple 3x3. It would take a real stumper to stump her.
So there are no options?
A 3x3 rubik cube is easy enough to solve. If you are willing to spend enough time on it. But you can add challenges to it. For example:
- The cube rearranges itself if not solved in a set time.
- The cells on the cube have symbols in them and those need to be in a specific order. Like triangles in the top row, circles in the middle row and stars on the lowest row.
- Or the cube can only be solved in a set number of moves or it rearranges itself. Like either you do it in forty moves or it rearranges itself.
I understand what you mean, but most of these restrictions are broken down by "intelligence, one of the founders of Hogwarts"Because of this, I am trying to come up with limitations related to knowledge gains in the modern world, which was extremely difficult to verify in ancient times....

Last edited:

Iceheart

So there are no options?

I understand what you mean, but most of these restrictions are broken down by "intelligence, one of the founders of Hogwarts"Because of this, I am trying to come up with limitations related to knowledge gains in the modern world, which was extremely difficult to verify in ancient times....
That's why deleted it. I realised I misunderstood the question.

Madjic

So there are no options?

You could have the Rubik's cube curse be something that subtly confuses the holder the longer they look at it. Also, I think changing the Rubik's cube to a 5x5, which has extra steps, would make it a bit easier for people to think it might confuse Ravenclaw. That coupled with the confusion curse that builds up the person would basically already have to have previous knowledge before solving it.
Hi guys, I need help with something. I'm writing a Harry Potter fanfic, and I want to add a rubik's cube to it. The point is, this rubik's cube couldn't be solved by Rowena Ravenclaw. And our protagonist has solved (Like he's from the modern world that's why) odnak the more I think the more problems come out. From what she was like, do you think she could solve a simple 3x3 rubik's cube?

But if so, how can I make my idea work?
Another way you can do it is by having the curse slowly wearing off, and only now, as it is no longer as powerful, is the Rubiks cube less confounding or something of the like. Something old might also mean wearing out. But that is a more of a cop out in my opinion.

Last edited:

vzymmer

Make it a rubiks cube made from a unique magical resistant material and make it an always revolving rubiks cube.

Most mages will be stumped but modern people already know patterns on how to solve a rubiks cube.

Edit; also add a color swapping mechanism to it.

Last edited:

fluffypie374

Just make it so you must solve the immune-to-magic rubiks cube without even looking at it once. Any who feast eyes upon it would no longer be eligible to solve it. MC solves it by description alone, either from someone else or Ravenclaw chick. :blob_popcorn:

FanficFrenzy

Just make it so you must solve the immune-to-magic rubiks cube without even looking at it once. Any who feast eyes upon it would no longer be eligible to solve it. MC solves it by description alone, either from someone else or Ravenclaw chick. :blob_popcorn:

Jemini

I do believe people are over-thinking this problem a little too much. Has anyone stopped to ask the very simple question, "how DO you solve a Rubik's cube?" There is some intelligence and pattern recognition involved in terms of knowing the center squares are stationary and recognizing how the rest of them turn, but the ultimate key to solving a Rubik's cube is just putting in the time to experiment and learn all the patterns in the first place.

So, the incredibly beat-your-head-against-the-wall simple solution is to just say the Ravenclaw lady was too busy with other things to put in the effort, and was unaware of anything that would have made the task important enough for her to spend that much time on it. (And maybe give it a simple immunity to magic to prevent that reverse-twisting method. Or, for an even more mundane solution, have the coloring of the squared intelligently assigned to the squares pre-scrambled such that it is solvable, but the reverse-twist spell will not solve it.)

With this solution, the reason the protagonist is able to solve it is not because he is "modern," (the vast majority of modern people can't solve a Rubik's cube either,) it's because he literally has nothing better to do. (Trust me, if it's something the audience can identify as nothing special, it is a LOT better for the story to deprecate your protagonist than it is to glorify them for doing something like this.) Of course, to sell that one you'll need to make him solving the cube a long-standing thing that he keeps at for several chapters going in the background. That, or show him solving Rubik's cubes in his non-wizarding life before encountering this one, thus showing he's already developed the skills for solving them somewhat quickly.

At that point, the only thing you need to somehow explain is why she hadn't just handed the task off to some grunt working under her, but that can be pretty easily explained as her figuring that they'd be no more capable of solving it than her. A bad assumption to be sure, but that could be the point of disconnect she'd have that a modern person wouldn't.

Last edited: