How best to introduce new characters fluidly?

Esper

So... Yeah, I've had this problem since I started writing long form RPs(How I got into writing rather than throwing out ideas), how do you introduce two people without a cliche
Ie. "An accident happens" , "your in my way", or the dreaded "so you're the new big shot"
It plagues me, and it especially is troublesome when I'm writing a school life story and I've been schooled at home most of my life, so I have no perspective to pull from. I, in my everyday life, make friends easily on superficial levels, but it's often me initiating things, this is a problem as the characters are ment to grow their relationship and I've got nothing on making it seem like they would get along.

Am I just overthinking things?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I was homeschooled too so don't worry about that. I would consider watching highly claimed movies set in high school and talk to people who go to highschool. Then have the characters meet in similar ways as the people you talked to or watched. Though I would ask around and see what other people say as well before deciding what to do. This is just my opinion.

WincumCestalot

Sitting next to each other in class, or cafeteria. Someone else disrupting things can do this. Being put together for a group project 'to keep things fair'. Being placed on a team in the gym. Joining the same after school club. Having one person need extra help in class, and the other be willing to help out. Have people talking about something that another character is interested in, like awesome stories on their favorite webnovel site. Having an existing character introduce them.

Or...

Have them get upset at you cause you're always hanging around your sister and they just want to talk to her 'privately'. Which you can't allow.

But that's just a hypothetical.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carefully.
Yes, my minion, yes!

It depends on how far along in the story you are. If it's early in the story, start with the person's name. If it's later in the story, start with the person's appearance.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
One character is sitting there and then the sky opens up and a giant severed head falls through a rift in space-time. The character you are trying to introduce comes riding in on the giant severed head. He is standing on the back of the head, using it as a heat shield against re-entry from orbit. He is holding a giant blazing sword in one hand, A princess in the other, and she is feeding him chicken McNuggets with szechuan sauce while in between nuggets he takes bites from a pickle because Rick and Morty can bite your character's ass.

As the burning severed head falls past a mega-skyscraper, he casually steps off the blackened skull onto a crane boon which swings him onto the roof the first character is sitting on so the new character can casually step off onto it as the crane falls away. He puts the princess down and then lights a cigar by holding it near her chest because her boobs are that hot. He takes a long draw, blows the smoke directly into the face of Space-Hitler, then says:

"I'm Bob."

Last edited: