How Do ‘Gardeners’ Complete It?

Love4NovelGuy

I’m unsure how those without a plan manage to finish their stories. For me, I put the novel down for a few hours and next thing I know the memory of it is purged from my system. I forget what I wrote and have to reread my own work.

Others tend to just wing it and manage to easily remember plot details. Expanding on them easily without having to look through a catalogue. I’m unsure of how to see this. It feels like maybe the way I’m writing is wrong, or maybe it’s just me.

How do you guys manage to write without plans?

Does it usually turn out alright?

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
I’m unsure how those without a plan manage to finish their stories. For me, I put the novel down for a few hours and next thing I know the memory of it is purged from my system. I forget what I wrote and have to reread my own work.

Others tend to just wing it and manage to easily remember plot details. Expanding on them easily without having to look through a catalogue. I’m unsure of how to see this. It feels like maybe the way I’m writing is wrong, or maybe it’s just me.

Not sure if this count as wing it. When i write nothing came to mind, but when lets say durring class an idea popped in my head. So i made a quick note. And when i got down to write those idea just sort of come together to made a frankenstein of a chapter.

It works pretty well if it can draw in 900 views

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
It feels like maybe the way I’m writing is wrong, or maybe it’s just me.
There is no wrong way of doing art. You are doing fine~

For me, I can't be an Architect at all, it just feels restrictive and I'm bad at planning. I might have a central road map that I planned out for an arc, and an end goal, but nothing more. I just let the story grow as it progresses. As for the plots and details, I am a world-builder first, so I noted down everything, and most details tend to stay in my mind for ages.

Although, I don't write to publish, but for my own enjoyment, so I can't say for other published writers.

Love4NovelGuy

There is no wrong way of doing art. You are doing fine~

For me, I can't be an Architect at all, it just feels restrictive and I'm bad at planning. I might have a central road map that I planned out for an arc, and an end goal, but nothing more. I just let the story grow as it progresses. As for the plots and details, I am a world-builder first, so I noted down everything, and most details tend to stay in my mind for ages.

Although, I don't write to publish, but for my own enjoyment, so I can't say for other published writers.
For me I’m in the middle ground. My plans change when what I write doesn’t align with the original plan.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Yes, I also write without a plan in mind sometimes (alot of times, actually). What helps is knowing at least the end goal to the block you're writing, or you'll write yourself into a black hole where nothing moves at all.

There's a thing I like to call 'The Flow' when you're writing. You're basically watching it in your head and you write down what's happening, rather than writing a scene to imagine it. This works well especially in times where you have no plan, and let the nature of the story take over (Imagination pretty much. Like you're a reader).

Note that a lot of the things that authors will remember are things that are intentionally put into the story, and those can become key plot details.

The chances are that the reason why you're not remembering things is because you aren't intentionally placing seeds/bread crumbs to lead into something bigger.

What you can also do is just dot them down elsewhere in parallel so you have something to come back to.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
We get pregnant, and then we are too exhausted to write for years to come.

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
Coming from a DM, 'fuck it, we ball' is the motto. I don't usually note things down, I just remember it.

But having an ending, or severals, in mind helps you remember a lot better than it look.

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
First Off, I would like to say, that there is no one right way to write. If you sit down and put a story together, then you are writing in a way that suits you.

Now to answer your question. I can't speak for all gardners, but what I do is to outline along the way. You know, just take notes after every chapter. With character pov, hot takes, what the characters were wearing. Simple stuff. The plot stays in my brain for the most part. Maybe it is because I write every day, I don't know.

That said, I have dabbled into outlining as well, but that bored me to tears. And for my current project I made like a 12 step plan. A plan from which I strayed to the point of it being useless.

Some people like certainty that in their writing, but I love chaos. Surprising myself is what got me addicted to writing.

Happy writing! Feel free to dabble in pantsing, but if it is not for you just do things your way.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I start with the fundamental particles of existence, work my way up to matter, then proceed to define every structure in reality up to the great galactic walls. Once you got that all worked out, it just basically writes itself.

Nevafrost

Well-known newbie author

I just remember it. Nope, I'm lying. I never write the idea down before or plan it in my head. Just the plot will be in my head, not the details. Then, I'll just sit down to write and write it down. That's it.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
8o32qs.jpg

The only thing I did was remember the plot, arc, storyline, details, etc of my work. If I find an idea I want to implement, I try fitting it to make it make sense.

You understand? Prolly not.