How do I deal with the tag limit in an Adult novel?

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
When first posting my story I went through the descriptions of all the tags and picked the ones that applied to the story I was writing.
I had way too many that applied and so I cut it down to the 25 limit, keeping the one's that would be most important or prevalent to the story.
I then explained in a content warning in my Synopsis that it would have content from the missing tags and other things to expect for those not interested.
I've received comments and a review that I'm missing specific tags though, and I'm wondering if there is some unmentioned tag etiquette for priority tags.
I don't want readers to be surprised by content that would cause them issues, but I'm not sure what other steps I can take.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Good steps above. For the synopsis I think making the content warning bold and formatting it better would help a lot, since it looks squished.

Anything that looks like a wall of text or a brick WILL be glossed over by readers, so formatting, spacing, etc is really important.

Currently:

Content Warning:
It won't let me include more than 25 tags so I picked the ones most relevant or important to the telling of the story.
This means many sexual tags were left out and due to the nature of the story you may want to know in advance some of the things planned for the story in the future. Opal will be going a lot of places, meeting a lot of different types of people including evil bad guys who will add to her growing list of children. Some of the planned events include but are not limited to: Forced Marriages, Cheating, Rape, Incest, Possible NTR(Haven't decided yet), BDSM, Blackmail and Slavery. If I ever do upload a chapter with NTR content I will tag it for the story. What not to expect: Soul destroying in depth depictions of the heavier subjects even if they are present in the novel. Expect them to happen but not for them to break the protagonist or the reader. I want to make my novel fun to read. Probably.

Reformatted:

CONTENT WARNING:
It won't let me include more than 25 tags so I picked the ones most relevant or important to the telling of the story.
This means many sexual tags were left out and due to the nature of the story you may want to know in advance some of the things planned for the story in the future.

Opal will be going a lot of places, meeting a lot of different types of people including evil bad guys who will add to her growing list of children.
Some of the planned events are as follows:

What To Expect:

- Forced Marriages
- Cheating
- Rape
- Incest
- Possible NTR (Undecided) - NTR chapters WILL be tagged if they are added
- BDSM
- Blackmail
- Slavery

What Not To Expect:

- Soul destroying, in depth depictions of the heavier subjects (even if they are present in the novel)

Feel free to copy paste it. Just add further tags (if needed) underneath What To Expect and call it a day.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

LORD_SHAXX

I would put the missing tags in the synopsis and put a content warning at the start of the chapter. If at that point people are asking why that tag is missing then idk. I've done all I can tbh

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'd consider including a tag if you're getting multiple comments about it from different people, but don't sweat it if it's just one or two people being nitpicky. I keep this handy to copy and paste in response to people being nitpicky. You can use it like this or modify it as needed:

Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review. I will keep your suggestions in mind for my next rewrite.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll be implementing some of them soon.
How do I do different formatting in my Description? It only lets me do the plain text and doesn't have any buttons.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll be implementing some of them soon.
How do I do different formatting in my Description? It only lets me do the plain text and doesn't have any buttons.
You're right! Here's an edited version since the synopsis doesn't have any formatting options.

//////// CONTENT WARNING ////////

//////// IMPORTANT ////////
This means many sexual tags were left out and due to the nature of the story you may want to know in advance some of the things planned for the story in the future.

Opal will be going a lot of places, meeting a lot of different types of people including evil bad guys who will add to her growing list of children.
Some of the planned events are as follows:

//////// What To Expect ////////

-> Forced Marriages
-> Cheating
-> Rape
-> Incest
-> Possible NTR (Undecided) - NTR chapters WILL be tagged if they are added
-> BDSM
-> Blackmail
-> Slavery

//////// What Not To Expect ////////

-> Soul destroying, in depth depictions of the heavier subjects (even if they are present in the novel)

this is the most Ao3 question i've ever seen in this site.

i personally didn't tag that much in my stories. i just say the story can be fucked up at times. i'm not sure what to even tag them since im not sure if there's one for like, turning babies into freestyle basketballs.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
this is the most Ao3 question i've ever seen in this site.

i personally didn't tag that much in my stories. i just say the story can be fucked up at times. i'm not sure what to even tag them since im not sure if there's one for like, turning babies into freestyle basketballs.

There are a lot of tags, so it wouldn't surprise me if I missed a Baby Yeeting tag.

Premier

Overtagging ruins your chance of being matched with other fics. Keep it simple. You don't need to tag every kink, just the ones that are a major part of the story.