Writing How do I get the motivation to write

HeavenlyKillerStar

Now I’m gonna be honest I always say to myself I’m gonna write abt this and that but when its time for it I just let out a few chapters before taking a “indefinite” hiatus to my 5 readers, so fellow scribblehubians how do I just like write.

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
You don't need motivation. You start writing without motivation until you find motivation. In other words, get motivated.
Motivation Might, but Discipline Do.

If you just want to write as a hobby, then do however you feel. But if you want to write for other reasons, to build a following, make some money on Patreon / other donations, or eventually publish, you're going to need to grit your teeth, sit down, and put words on the page even when you're not motivated to do so.

Nneeil

Now I’m gonna be honest I always say to myself I’m gonna write abt this and that but when its time for it I just let out a few chapters before taking a “indefinite” hiatus to my 5 readers, so fellow scribblehubians how do I just like write.
On a serious note: there's no magical trick to get motivated. You're not obligated to write, you do it because you to like it, unless you're getting paid - but that's a whole different issue. My advise is to pace yourself. Perhaps you simply lack inspiration, and if that's the case, take a few days to clear your head, go on a stroll, watch a movie. If you genuinely like writing, you'll eventually get back to it. Give it time.

EDIT: I just checked your profile, but I didn't see any published stories. Did you remove them or did you publish them elsewhere?

Last edited:

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Ah, don't hate me 'cause I'm motivated. Maybe if you got rid of that old yee-yee ass procrastination you got you'd get some readers on your story. Oh, better yet, you can get some discipline and achieve to complete at least one thing in your life, writer.

HeavenlyKillerStar

On a serious note: there's no magical trick to get motivated. You're not obligated to write, you do it because you to like it, unless you're getting paid - but that's a whole different issue. My advise is to pace yourself. Perhaps you simply lack inspiration, and if that's the case, take a few days to clear your head, go on a stroll, watch a movie. If you genuinely like writing, you'll eventually get back to it. Give it time.

EDIT: I just checked your profile, but I didn't see any published stories. Did you remove them or did you publish them elsewhere?
removed them… they were erm… think of someone with a brain disease or something
Ah, don't hate me 'cause I'm motivated. Maybe if you got rid of that old yee-yee ass procrastination you got you'd get some readers on your story. Oh, better yet, you can get some discipline and achieve to complete at least one thing in your life, writer.

fair

Nneeil

removed them… they were erm… think of someone with a brain disease or something

fair
Everyone starts out like that - nothing to be ashamed of. If you want to get back on the grind, try to write 10-15 chapters before publishing the story. At least you can guarantee a consistent release for a while, which will steadily build your readerbase.

Enkiari

There are a few ways that have worked for me.
One - Just write for yourself. I wrote a LOT of smut on AO3 because the kinks I liked didn't have much content under them. So I created stories that contained them.
Two - I read a story I thought was awful, had a decent following and decided I could do better. Every time I lost motivation, I checked that work and the rage fueled the continuation of my story.
Three - Make it a habit. Force yourself to write no matter what for at least a little bit every day. In a few months, you'll feel guilty if you are not writing.

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist African Warlord

Why are you sanitizing his line. Where's the 'melanin-rich-homo-sapien' at the last part.
Damn it!

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I'm almost never motivated to write. I have deadlines and I meet them, simple as. Then I reflect briefly, then go to meet the next deadline. In 193 chapters, I've never missed a publishing time. Though I've had 3 near misses.

Hopper

Intruding Person's account, yes.
go into seclusion in a closed room without window, without your phone/computer and any internet

feed on pills and meditate until you have a breakthrough
You forgot another step:

Court death.
Bumbarella stood naked in the window of the Citadel of Drak and looked out over the wide vista of mountains stretching as far as the eye could see.Hmmmm,she thought,if the Banner Men have brought the Princess Argana into this remote country I must find a flyer into those forbidding reaches.
But how on earth will I ever find a flyer on this wretched planet? King Baag has killed the best warriors Boogiewoogie has to offer.And there are dog men flying everywhere.
As if in answer to her prayers a stud with the physique of Hercules suddenly flew down onto the court yard of Drak.Ohh, he's a fine specimen,she tittered in secret horny lust.I will have to make his acquaintance.
"I am Domgar,of the Planetary Muscle Men,"the winged lollipop told her."And I am instructed by the Council to be your guard in this mission."
Ooh,she thought,yummy.
"Very well,Domgar,"she said,"we will couple and together bring back the princess from captivity."
Why are you posting this everywhere?
Like someone here said, force yourself to write as if a deadline was set.

Make a weekly quota for how much chapters you're going to write.

LilRora

Mostly formless
That's the neat thing. You don't.

All the most common ways have already been mentioned. Remember that motivation cannot be the only thing pushing you to write, because you're going to run out of it pretty quickly and pretty often.

CannelleLapine

When I’m unmotivated to write, I read. The more I read, the more I want to write my own stories.

Not because I could do better, but because I love stories. Reading reminds me of my love, and my love creates motivation.