How do i write science fiction!!?

KingMusa

Hellooooo civilians of Scribblehub!!

I want to write a sci-fi story but the problem is.... I'm not a science person, I barely passed any of my science class. My knowledge in science is on the basics.

So I'm here asking for help! I've watched many sci-fi series like Voltron, Gundam Iron Blood Orphans, star wars, Pesific Rim, Dune... Bill Nighy the science guy, and many more. They all use all these science wizz words that sound smart and all "sciencey" and very cool!

is there a way for me to like, get a list and meaning of a bunch of cool sci-fi terms that I can use to elevate my storytelling?

i hope this made sense.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author

I want to write a sci-fi story but the problem is.... I'm not a science person, I barely passed any of my science class. My knowledge in science is on the basics.

So I'm here asking for help! I've watched many sci-fi series like Voltron, Gundam Iron Blood Orphans, star wars, Pesific Rim, Dune... Bill Nighy the science guy, and many more. They all use all these science wizz words that sound smart and all "sciencey" and very cool!

is there a way for me to like, get a list and meaning of a bunch of cool sci-fi terms that I can use to elevate my storytelling?

i hope this made sense.
I suggest buying this book
31WBGg04-wL._SL350_.jpg

Here's a thriftbooks link to it.

I feel old knowing that most people under the age of 16 have never used one of these.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
I suggest buying this book View attachment 26555

I feel old knowing that most people under the age of 16 have never used one of these.
I think I've read a few volumes of the translated versions of these encyclopedias. Not just the sciences, but the histories and technologies too. Not too much for plants tho, biology's kinda hard to understand.

i hope this made sense.
Like what Sailus and Zero said:

Use any scientific words.
Refuse to elaborate further.

If you're still confused, then I suggest doing the approach Half-Life does with science fiction. Even though it's a game, the writer (Marc Laidlaw) writes a beautiful yet terrifying description of the powerful alien boss in the game. Nihilanth.

I beg you to watch or play the game because it is magnificent in writing and gameplay terms.
This goes along with its expansion pack. That is:

-Opposing Force
-Blue Shift
-Decay

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

i hope this made sense.
The best sci-fi I've read was written by people at least familiar with scientific knowledge at an above average level. But try, why not. Maybe using AI to fact check you will help?

bro ur literally like 23

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
You can write light sci-fi, that include not detailing any technology there, just explaining what they do. You can also cheat a bit by telling the story throught the vision of the mc and making he a guy who know nothing about technology.

Basically, just do some quick research when you want to use one sci-fi thing, just a bit on knowledge about it are sufficent and when a nerd pop up in the comment, said fuck off.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
You can write light sci-fi, that include not detailing any technology there, just explaining what they do. You can also cheat a bit by telling the story throught the vision of the mc and making he a guy who know nothing about technology.

Basically, just do some quick research when you want to use one sci-fi thing, just a bit on knowledge about it are sufficent and when a nerd pop up in the comment, said fuck off.
This is how you elaborate with a nerd, with me.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Different types of Sci-fi. Near future sci-fi will require actual understandings of technology and physics, but something like Star Wars is basically just a fantasy story in space.

For en epic scifi do everything you would for a fantasy action adventure story, and then just change the coat of paint on top of it.

lilwriter

This reminds me of that Mitchell and Webb skit where the writers write a hospital series but don’t know anything about medicine lmaooo

Medical Drama

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
You either replace every instance of magic with a spacey-sounding word, as Dune did with Spice or Star Wars with the Force or just don't explain stuff and expect the readers to know their fiction science since it's no rocket science.

Or you can just upgrade your basic common sense into science by using overly complex-sounding words to describe basic things. Like saying "They used the thermal energy won out of specific star cores to pedal their populace" instead of saying "gas makes cars go brrr"

Goodmann

As an old dude who's read a LOT of SF, the best of it starts with a single extrapolation, discovery, or invention with possibly a fictional background of reasonable 'future history'. What's going to change? Who's going to oppose that change (built-in antagonist(s))? What's the human cost, whose political ox will be gored? You also try to follow the rest of physics & chemistry, aside from possibly your space drive. Do know the difference between speed & acceleration, & spaceships are more like nuclear submarines than automobiles or sailboats!!. This will give at least the flavor of 'hard' SF. Isaac Asimov (Grandmaster) wrote both fiction & nonfiction; his book 'The Elements ' is easy to read if you've forgotten high-school chemistry.
Authors to read: Hal Clement, Arthur C. Clarke, C.J. Cherryh (The Pride of Chanur& sequels), Lois McMaster Bujold (the Miles Vorkosigan saga has multiple Hugo & Nebula awards). Big shoes to fill as an author, but you can at least get a feel for what the great stuff is like!

Last edited:

KingMusa

You either don't do it, or you ignore nerds. No need to thank me.
I'll go with ignoring the nerds.

Thank You.

I'm 23, I've had one of those in high school but unfortunately never really read it unless I was in class. But thank you!
Use the word "quantum".

Just like how fantasy novels use the word "magic".
I'm skilled at writing Fantasy, so your advice helps.
I think I've read a few volumes of the translated versions of these encyclopedias. Not just the sciences, but the histories and technologies too. Not too much for plants tho, biology's kinda hard to understand.

Like what Sailus and Zero said:

Use any scientific words.

If you're still confused, then I suggest doing the approach Half-Life does with science fiction. Even though it's a game, the writer (Marc Laidlaw) writes a beautiful yet terrifying description of the powerful alien boss in the game. Nihilanth.

I beg you to watch or play the game because it is magnificent in writing and gameplay terms.
This goes along with its expansion pack. That is:

-Opposing Force
-Blue Shift
-Decay
I will do so!

This seems to be the advice everyone is giving.

Thank You.

Different types of Sci-fi. Near future sci-fi will require actual understandings of technology and physics, but something like Star Wars is basically just a fantasy story in space.

For en epic scifi do everything you would for a fantasy action adventure story, and then just change the coat of paint on top of it.
I'll keep that in mind
You either replace every instance of magic with a spacey-sounding word, as Dune did with Spice or Star Wars with the Force or just don't explain stuff and expect the readers to know their fiction science since it's no rocket science.

Or you can just upgrade your basic common sense into science by using overly complex-sounding words to describe basic things. Like saying "They used the thermal energy won out of specific star cores to pedal their populace" instead of saying "gas makes cars go brrr"
Thanks for the advice
As an old dude who's read a LOT of SF, the best of it starts with a single extrapolation, discovery, or invention with possibly a fictional background of reasonable 'future history'. What's going to change? Who's going to oppose that change (built-in antagonist(s))? What's the human cost, whose political ox will be gored? You also try to follow the rest of physics & chemistry, aside from possibly your space drive. Do know the difference between speed & acceleration, & spaceships are more like nuclear submarines than automobiles or sailboats!!. This will give at least the flavor of 'hard' SF. Isaac Asimov (Grandmaster) wrote both fiction & nonfiction; his book 'The Elements ' is easy to read if you've forgotten high-school chemistry.
Authors to read: Hal Clement, Arthur C. Clarke, C.J. Cherryh (The Pride of Chanur& sequels), Lois McMaster Bujold (the Miles Vorkosigan saga has multiple Hugo & Nebula awards). Big shoes to fill as an author, but you can at least get a feel for what the great stuff is like!
Thank you for the advice!

Last edited:

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
I'm writing two science fiction books. One is more complicated, involving weapon development, quantum theory, and mechanization. The other is simpler, utilizing Virtual Reality and an AI-controlled game based in an automated futuristic cityscape for students.

Sure, I'm a bit of a techie, but I learned about these topics because of a simple interest in smaller subjects that led up to the bigger scientific elements. If you want to be genuinely passionate about your book and nurture it with knowledge, learn more about topics you're already interested in (robotics, engineering, steam-powered works, etc.), then build on that.

If you need inspiration, watch science fiction shows/movies or play sci-fi video games.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
If you aren't interested in learning science, don't write science fiction.

However, if you just want to write about space ships and mecha pilots blowing each other up, you can do that without any scientific basis at all. If you have no idea what you're talking about, just openly say so.

Bonus points if your main characters are all idiots who look at anyone that even tries to ask how things work as if they were an alien.

KingMusa

I'm writing two science fiction books. One is more complicated, involving weapon development, quantum theory, and mechanization. The other is simpler, utilizing Virtual Reality and an AI-controlled game based in an automated futuristic cityscape for students.

Sure, I'm a bit of a techie, but I learned about these topics because of a simple interest in smaller subjects that led up to the bigger scientific elements. If you want to be genuinely passionate about your book and nurture it with knowledge, learn more about topics you're already interested in (robotics, engineering, steam-powered works, etc.), then build on that.

If you need inspiration, watch science fiction shows/movies or play sci-fi video games.
Yup currently going through a few sci-fi wiki's right now
If you aren't interested in learning science, don't write science fiction.

However, if you just want to write about space ships and mecha pilots blowing each other up, you can do that without any scientific basis at all. If you have no idea what you're talking about, just openly say so.

Bonus points if your main characters are all idiots who look at anyone that even tries to ask how things work as if they were an alien.
I'll just let people know I don't know what I'm talking about I'm the synopsis.