How do you do it?

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
Now, I've seen some people with hundreds of books on their reading lists. For me, 5 books already feels like a LOT, so I don't understand how some people can do 20 or more. You'd have to remember characters, details about the world, abilities, and plot points. How can anyone follow so many stories at the same time?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Now, I've seen some people with hundreds of books on their reading lists. For me, 5 books already feels like a LOT, so I don't understand how some people can do 20 or more. You'd have to remember characters, details about the world, abilities, and plot points. How can anyone follow so many stories at the same time?
It's easy. You just add as many as possible and only read 5 of the 500. Unless you are my friend... She reads everything I am convinced.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
Just do it. :s_smile:

Or delete the stories when you try to read them and realize they weren't memorable enough for you to know what's going on.

TremendousHuman

Actual reason behind demographic problems
Most of the stories I am reading update once a blue moon. So, usually I spend like an hour per day reading different stories I am following now (not counting those that are completed and I am reading little by little)

Last edited:

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
Just do it. :s_smile:

Or delete the stories when you try to read them and realize they weren't memorable enough for you to know what's going on.

Bobple

I just got to a 1000 on my reading list at the moment, and now I am having some difficultly keeping up with those and the ones I am reading on other sites. But that difficulty is mostly due to my writing time eating at my reading time.

I think at the moment I consistently keep up to date with 50~ stories a week. Then binge 1~2 stories which I stockpiling every fortnight (So a different stockpiling story each time). Usually read at least one of the digital bought books as well a week.

Yeah honestly for me it's not too hard besides not having as much time at the moment to do it. I read pretty fast, and the details just load back in to my mind.

AutumnPlunkett

Unless you exclusively read completed stories, it could take years for a story to be completed. So, generally you just read a story until you run out of chapters before moving onto the next and the next. If enough chapters are added to an old one you return and read some more. Only a few do you check back to read on a regular basis. Those ones are usually your favorites. I've gotten used to having to read like that since I was a teenager. I'm pretty sure most stories I've started over the years I've never finished, but I enjoyed what story I did get to read, so that's all that really matters.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
You don't, and all the MCs become an amorphous mass.

Lord_Zagnuts

This goes for my Mangaupdates (283+), Novelupdates (171+), FF.net (267+), and here (69+) where I actively keep track of my reading lists. But what I personally do, mainly because I have an honestly absurd WPM and still retain complete comprehension and retention (last time I got tested was in High School and it was 986 words per minute and full recollection a week later), is once I get a new chapter to a story I go back to chapter 1 and read it through to the current new chapter. The only exception is if they get updated daily then I don't worry about it because the characters are constantly fresh.

Daitengu

It seems like a lot, as I have like 50 bookmarks myself, but only 10 are actually active. I often have books just sitting there accumulating chapters. Especially weekly release type books. Not really worth trying to remember what happened in a five minute read week to week. So they sit there till whole arcs are done.

Really it's like tv shows 20 years ago. People often had steady watches of a dozen or more shows.

PS: I've got something like 350+ shows on myanimelist. Do I remember everything? Hell nah. After a while it just becomes a general feel for the show and one or two characters, maybe.

PPS: My goal of media consumption was never to remember everything about what I watch/read. It was just enjoyment. I leave the hyper detailed stuff to the tism peeps that love it.

Last edited:

mysterious_cube

Most web serials have very few relevant characters, and either very generic or very simple worldbuilding. I do have trouble keeping track of plots though, especially with webcomics because they're uploaded one page at a time

xuduxixi

a sloth that wants to be great
I read them til I caught up with latest chaps, adds into reading list, stack for a month to 2 years, come back, forget where I stopped, rereading the whole series. Repeat.

But, seriously I just gave up.

melchi

What is a custom title?
As long as the writers put in some effort in making the story easy to follow it isn't too hard. If you have to remember 20 character names and that is the only way to tell them apart then it is really hard. But remembering the catgirl, the vampire and the raddish is easier.

Dieter

the Writer
ADHD. Also, we don't keep track of characters, places, details, etc. We either remember it when we pick it back up, or we don't.

Aprendiz

It's not difficult, I could already do that with series, movies and animes, although if the author hasn't published for a long time, I would have to read his or her story again to catch up.