How do you keep writing without losing focus?

KrisVFX

God of Creation
Relax. focus, have a calm mind, yeah yeah. I read everything on google and they are pretty much useless and crap to me.
I try to keep some kind of schedule in order to write regularly but somehow I still end up losing track of what I was doing, ending up behind schedule...
So I was wondering for those writers how to write a lot, how do you do it?
How do you write thousands of words without getting distracted or getting stuck on some characters that you don't know how they think, or what they are going to do next?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I am really bad at it too, but when I do write I usually have to force myself. Counting down from 10 slowly helps focus the mind.

NikkuNii

Socially awkward Vampire/Yandere Madlad
Yeah, music. I mean try to find something that really motivates you. I am working on 3 tokyo ghoul books since I have a hard time staying motivated, so what I do is I rewatch episodes of tokyo ghoul and BOOM im suddenly inspired again!

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
By drawing inspiration from something else. It just hits you out of nowhere and you begin to write like a madman as the entire scene unfolds in your head.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Relax. focus, have a calm mind, yeah yeah. I read everything on google and they are pretty much useless and crap to me.
I try to keep some kind of schedule in order to write regularly but somehow I still end up losing track of what I was doing, ending up behind schedule...
How do you write thousands of words without getting distracted or getting stuck on some characters that you don't know how they think, or what they are going to do next?
Just write multiple times a day.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Adapt, overcome.

Idk, I wish to know this secret method too honestly

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
I already calculate losing focus in my writing schedule. Often I stop writing, stare blankly at my screen and think of the best story every to exist, only to forget it by the time I regain my focus wonder what I was even thinking about.
Maybe it would help you to prepare before writing the chapter? Idk though I randomly type stuff in hopes of full sentences coming out every now and then.

Nane

Doesn't go well in a milkshake
Getting stuck in one scene can delay the whole story for WEEKS for me. I get you.

I learned this method to prevent it. For the parts that I get stuck, I just put a placeholder, something like [insert witty comeback] or [scenery description]. It helps my mind to move on to the pre-planned parts and when I'm ready, I go back to the placeholder and fill it.
Hope this helps. :blob_highfive:

Last edited:

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
I kinda just get really involved into what I'm writing, so I kinda don't have to even try, but it has to be a good story that I'm writing...

MrPasserby

I usually listen to music. And if nothing comes out of it, I stop. I do something different like walking outside from time to time, or hang out with some of my friends. I get back to it right after I got the inspiration to work on it.

Sometimes, pausing for a moment helps. I even listen to different genre of songs for several hours and sometimes days, before I could write again. Somehow, it helps me get the idea of how I would be able to write my story.

Without these things, It would be difficult for me to form a story.

I hope this helps!

ASHARA

Music. I have a 400 song playlist so it's just me and my music in the middle of the night so there are no distractions. It's common to get distracted or procrastinate while being behind schedule and sometimes you have to shout at yourself to get up and write something but it's normal.
Just write multiple times a day.
Yeah breaking down writing a chapter into 400 word sessions spread throughout the day helps.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't get to write anymore now that I have a baby. However, before I had one, I would write in a paper notebook every night before bed. Thoughts bounce around my head, preventing me from sleeping, and writing was a great way to exhaust my brain. Now, I have to hold my nipple in my baby's mouth.