How do you write?

Horrible-Void

Wanted to pick peoples brains.
Do you like to post as you are writing out the story, or do you write it first then post it in bits?

D

Deleted member 113259

I write a chapter and then upload it. I'll probably stop doing that after season 1 of my main story though.

Temple

I write and post. I can't really stock chapters. Hardest thing to do was piling enough chapters before starting Patreon. But as of now, I write and post. No backlogs. I change my mind a lot, so having a backlog feels like a restriction and a waste of time for me.

J_Chemist

I typically write with my fingertips and a keyboard.

More seriously, I write and then post. I don't keep a backlog, usually. Sometimes I write up multiple chapters in a week if I'm motivated and then take a break while maintaining the 1 per week release.

Horrible-Void

I write a chapter and then upload it. I'll probably stop doing that after season 1 of my main story though.
Any reason?
I write and post. I can't really stock chapters. Hardest thing to do was piling enough chapters before starting Patreon. But as of now, I write and post. No backlogs. I change my mind a lot, so having a backlog feels like a restriction and a waste of time for me.
Fair. My fear with doing that is writing something later that contradicts something I wrote earlier. Is that something you ever worry about and how do you get past it?
I typically write with my fingertips and a keyboard.

More seriously, I write and then post. I don't keep a backlog, usually. Sometimes I write up multiple chapters in a week if I'm motivated and then take a break while maintaining the 1 per week release.
There's my problem, I keep trying to write with my toes lol. Keeping a consistent release schedule is already a problem I'm running into, but I also do most my story writing on the weekends.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Wanted to pick peoples brains.
Do you like to post as you are writing out the story, or do you write it first then post it in bits?
I try to backlog as many chapters as possible. It allows me to improve the unreleased chapters and make each arc more cohesive. I used to to just post a chapter when I finished it, but I repeatedly backed myself into a wall.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I don't have a back log either. I've mostly just been writing on the weekends. Trying to keep a consistent pace on workdays was becoming a hassle. But finding a few hours to click away at the keyboard every weekend isn't too much of a lift.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I just write and post on the early days since I usually don't care what i post. Though I tend to edit some mainly grammars and stuff but overall, I just post them the moment I finish writing them. Though I also sometimes stack because I want to make schedules and stuff.

But after the 3 day blackout which coincidentally matches one review bomb that had happened to me, I now carefully watch how I write my chapters to a point where I'm now even scared to post one out of fear that I might end up given a month of blackout out of just posting a wrong chapter because I got too confident that it might not happen twice.

Yeah, I might have a bit of a confidence but I don't straight out court death flags.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well, I am still following the old method of stockpiling.

I managed to kill myself when:
1. My work is shit and so is the cover.
2. My initial mass release of chapters and subsequent trickling got me no new readers.

Civilian

I write, edit the same morning I upload, and then upload when its ready or when I run out of time. Helps me break out from writers block, since it keeps me writing constantly.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I write and upload. Repeat this over numerous times, and you get novel / volume written.

Maldrasen

My goal is to keep a backlog of at least a few chapters, but I'm running on zero right now. On the one hand the pressure of not having anything ready to ship helps pressure me into being productive, but it can lead to problems when I might want to change something that happened a couple chapters ago.